A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

If I had a choice of being on the ground or trees, I would probably default to the ground. Having said that, it would be pretty awesome to be in a tree and be able to see much farther.

My 454 is a Ruger Toklat which has a 5" barrel.  We all handle recoil differently. Hickok45 did a review of the Toklat and he handled recoil by letting his arms and wrists roll with the recoil. In my stance, I lock my arms and wrists down and let them absorb the recoil. It makes it much easier to stay on tarket. I would not want to shoot several dozen rounds of the 360 gr hardcast pushed out at 1,423 fps in that manner as it does rock you a little. For a single cylinder full, I'm game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA

BFF Patron

I think those with well trained dogs are at a great advantage in the field.   Their nose and eyesight is a great advantage to alert you that something is in the woods.     Of course a squirrel might be just as interesting or more interesting than a BF to a dog.          I think it important to be able to control the dog because if they should charge a BF it might be very dangerous for them.   I have had the feeling I was being watched many times in the field but had nothing at all to reinforce the feeling.    A dog staring into the woods would have been very informative.   At least it would give you some idea of where to look. 

• Upvote 1

I never expected or would have thought I would have such an emotional, "fight or flight" reaction, and MINE was to flee. Then again, it was 3am and I was never expecting at that exact moment I would actually run into one right then. Almost immediately, I had to intentionally stop and remember every piece of it because it seemed too surreal.

To this day, I have a fragmented memory of it. I see "still images" in my mind of it as it happened, interspersed with a single segment of it in motion running off the road onto the shoulder and disappearing into the trees. I really thought I'd be in better, more full control of my faculties and emotions were I ever to have an encounter. It just didn't work out that way. It took until nearly 5:30am before I could calm down, relax and finally lay down and try to go to sleep. I was back up for the day about 3 or 4 hours later. 

It certainly gave me a new point of view to relating to witnesses whom I had interviewed and would go on to interview who were so emotionally rattled by their experiences.

• Upvote 2

Never did get to see what or who done it, but the primitive genius was the biggest surprise. In a way I feel lucky because I got a glimpse into our past which we seem to have long forgotten. So forgotten that we no longer recognize the signs when we see them.

Guest Waggles

One of my roommates last year talked about this encounter 20 some years ago. He has been homeless for the past 5 years, so no cable tv to get Finding BF or anything that could or would influence him. 

They were deerspotting in a truck at night and came across one walking in the road. He was very animated with his arms and face, pointed out "big nose" face juutted forward. They thought it was an escaped orangatang at first. He had no tramma from the event. They past within 10 feet or so of it. This was like a patty level sighting but close, 10 feet as the truck past it. He said they we're all wide eyed, and that the thing "looked annoyed" more than anything.

BFF Patron

The observations that the creatures have a hunched over posture and glide is true.  That they break large sticks in descending mtns or make noises resembling such a thing is true.  That they are not as reclusive as believed, they are interested in following certain humans for some reason (s).  That they seem to appear, traipse around tents and then disappear before sometimes getting a glimpse is true.  That they have the ability to make rock knocks, guttural clicks and samurai-type almost human-like language with intonations, inflections and prosody/rhythm that would make you think they are an intelligent being is true. That there is some anomaly to their visual systems that produce green glow and other phenomenon is true.  That they push over trees or make noises that would have you think they are pushing over a tree when they want to gain your attention or discourage your further progress following a certain vector is true.  That they can, when they have the need, produce a type of chatter that sounds distinctly chimp-like is true.  That they growl, whoop and produce rapid changes in naturalistic and mimicked animal sounds interpersed with speech-like phonations is true. That they make elaborate and geometrically correct stick formations some which have a toy-like quality and artistic expression is true.  That they are pranksters and leave gifts is true.   I think I will stop there or I will have written my book on the forum for Pete's sake. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aside from not knowing something like an adult male sasquatch could possibly exist (I was pristinely unaware of even myths or legends of them in 1972, never having even heard the names bigfoot or sasquatch), it was the sheer physical power conveyed by its physique.  It had a torso like an Olympic swimmer.  Broad shoulders, narrow waste, not a suggestion of fat, and you could see it's clearly defined abs under its hair.  It wasn't just big, it was inherently powerful.

That they break large sticks in descending mtns or make noises resembling such a thing is true.

Bipedalist

What I underlined is what has gotten my attention. You brought a point that I do not think anyone has really notice. The tree breaks I have seen are strange to find in odd places. But what if they break these tree break from tripping? They are moving through some thick stuff and tripping could be the cause, Hence the tree break ! I like the way that you are approaching these creatures and getting what is needed. Thanks

On 12/7/2016 at 11:55 PM, SWWASAS said:

Far Archer.   "Whoa!  Any estimate of how far from you it was when it spotted you?

Reason I ask, I think these things have better night vision than day vision.  

Amazing how quiet they can get when they want to".

I think it smelled me first. The wind was at my back and blowing right towards it.    The brush was so thick between it and me that it could not have possibly seen me or heard me.   I was standing dead still as it approached.    Us humans douse ourselves with all kinds of scents.   Deodorant etc.    We must smell like a perfume counter to something living in the woods.    The following day I returned to the encounter location and went to where I heard the thud and tree knocks.   The ground cover of dead fir needles was disturbed about 20 yards from my initial encounter location.   Trying to match the location with the picture, which included sword ferns pretty much coincided with the disturbed ground cover.    I am pretty sure where the adult and juvenile were.     A year later I went to the same location, to see if there was anything there which may have brought them there.   I could not get there.   The whole area was overgrown with blackberry bushes.  The woods in the PNW is a rain forest and everything grows like crazy.  

I cannot dispute their night vision.   They seem to move effortlessly in darkness we cannot navigate.      But if their night vision is so good, their daylight vision must be at least as good as ours.   All of my encounters have been in broad daylight.   I do not go blundering around in the woods solo at night.  The BFRO model of them only moving about in nighttime is flawed.   If humans are not present, I think they move about in daylight as much as they do at night.   If humans are active in an area, they adjust their tactics and move primarily at night.    Above all, they are intelligent and adaptive.   Because of their superior night vision, I choose to spend field time in the daytime hours when my vision as good as theirs. 

\

I've been gone and missed some really good replies here.

You make a good point about moving day and night - but if humans present - altering primarily to night time.  After reading and pulling nuggets out of - countless narratives, it becomes clear that they definitely do move during daylight.  Somehow, my gut tells me that there may be a bit of a division of labor - in that maybe there is more juvenile and female movement in the daylight than large adult males.  

Then when it gets dark, the large males (this is generally speaking - there are always exceptions to everything) - get together to drive and ambush deer and such.  

I know that adult males could and probably do wander, feed, and range during daylight hours, but it seems there is more "coordinated" effort reported at night - especially when it comes to game.

Someone shoot this down if you can - seriously - but I think this is to take advantage of the vastly superior night vision compared to their day vision.  I never hear of anyone putting the sneak on one during dark hours, but I do note some "surprise" meeting engagements during daylight hours.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm ... I'll go with that, at least for now.   As a trend rather than an absolute, my sense is the data supports it.

Interesting but maybe irrelevant parallel ... blacktailed deer do the same thing.    The does, fawns, and younger bucks are fairly diurnal.    Big mature bucks go nocturnal or extremely secretive except when the rut overrules their senses.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
15 hours ago, FarArcher said:

I've been gone and missed some really good replies here.

You make a good point about moving day and night - but if humans present - altering primarily to night time.  After reading and pulling nuggets out of - countless narratives, it becomes clear that they definitely do move during daylight.  Somehow, my gut tells me that there may be a bit of a division of labor - in that maybe there is more juvenile and female movement in the daylight than large adult males.  

Then when it gets dark, the large males (this is generally speaking - there are always exceptions to everything) - get together to drive and ambush deer and such.  

I know that adult males could and probably do wander, feed, and range during daylight hours, but it seems there is more "coordinated" effort reported at night - especially when it comes to game.

Someone shoot this down if you can - seriously - but I think this is to take advantage of the vastly superior night vision compared to their day vision.  I never hear of anyone putting the sneak on one during dark hours, but I do note some "surprise" meeting engagements during daylight hours.

I have run into cryptic animals that I suspect only move at night.

One reason they are cryptic and not a known, any animal that moves during the day anywhere near human populations will be seen fairly frequently unless they stay in dense mountainous rain forest bush or deep swamps.

I remember one sighting was a scene of an accident that was very messy with the very large animal having been destroyed as well as the vehicle that hit it being out of commission, good Samaritans were pulling over as we drove bye.

What they did't notice as silhouettes standing in the forest line where to much larger animals the size of black bears.

Jesus, I thought, I didn't think they got that big. Years later I know that animals of that size are not taken by hunters but apparently they do exist.

Makes you wonder why there haven't had a road killed Sasquatch as that seems like the most likely way a body would happen.

What's funny about the hoaxers or "over" enthusiasts is that  as soon as you make a novel suggestion you can be sure you will be reading about it in a couple of months.

They only way I saw them was right at sunset just as they started to come out or with the headlights as I was driving along.

Mostly because people usually are not moving silently through the forest in the wee hours, quiet, and without lights.

We are a day animal and sleep or stay close to the campfire late at night.

The exception is when we are driving if the road intersects an active area or animal trail.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Was it a bear that was hit CM ?  Or was it some cryptid other than BF that was both hit and observing from the tree line?  If so what cryptid was it?  A little clarity here would be nice.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
4 hours ago, Twist said:

Was it a bear that was hit CM ?  Or was it some cryptid other than BF that was both hit and observing from the tree line?  If so what cryptid was it?  A little clarity here would be nice.

I don't want to encourage hunters and not wanting notoriety.

It is possible not a true cryptid but an animal that is not known to grow to that size.

Cryptid in the sense that it is not known at that size range although historically it may have been

and in a former age definitely was, although a different species.

Not a BF, sorry, intended to clarify that in original post.

And not many breadcrumbs, thought it was interesting enough to stand on it's own.

Illustrative of the problem with large nocturnal animals.

The ones that remain hidden are the ones that don't go extinct when people move into the approximate vicinity.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

On the lines of extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, if you want to talk about another cryptic or use it as a point of reference you should be willing to come out and say exactly what you are talking about.  There is nothing to be gained from cryptic stories of cryptic creatures as they relate to BF.  

• Upvote 3

Some really interesting posts thus far...........

I was just wondering from the experiences related here that if encounters have happened more than once to an individual does the second or third encounter happen differently, as in does the person take in more of the situation, feel more relaxed, feel more excited or is able to recall details better or worse?