A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

Hmmm ... that's interesting.   The "roar" I heard had exactly ZERO scream components, as I've started to say, it's like the sound that comes out when the doc telling you to open up and say "ahhh", maybe little lower, but it shares that component of incredible loudness.   It's so dang loud it's hard to picture it coming from a flesh and blood throat ... regardless of how big the critter is or isn't.   Gut says "does not compute", sort of like you say, brain is struggling to process.    Fortunately, my audio recorder does not have to compute, just record, else I would seriously doubt that I heard what I heard.

MIB

• 1 month later...

My scream was followed by some epic tree shacking that was so loud my initial thought was something like a plane or meteor was crashing through 40ft pine trees.  After a minute or more everything went silent with me staring at the hill completely agape expecting a monster to come crashing down on top of us.  After a minute or two of stunned silence I gabbed my dogs and decided it was best not to continue my hike and head home.

Multiple observations:

How the gliding movement through brush and trees elicited no discernable sound.

The reaction(s) upon their being "busted out" by us. Includes a stare that looked the personification of malice, tower stand weighing ~1400 pounds being slammed over as a child would a tinkertoy structure and a stone hurled through the timber from an estimated eighty yards.

Emotions being displayed as mourning, wailing and crying after the one was shot during the "Louisiana Hunt". Went on for ~two hours.

Their tone and tenor of vocalizations and interaction (acceptance of wild game gifts) once they sensed I was no longer trying to kill them.

1 hour ago, Yuchi1 said:

Multiple observations:

How the gliding movement through brush and trees elicited no discernable sound.

The reaction(s) upon their being "busted out" by us. Includes a stare that looked the personification of malice, tower stand weighing ~1400 pounds being slammed over as a child would a tinkertoy structure and a stone hurled through the timber from an estimated eighty yards.

Emotions being displayed as mourning, wailing and crying after the one was shot during the "Louisiana Hunt". Went on for ~two hours.

Their tone and tenor of vocalizations and interaction (acceptance of wild game gifts) once they sensed I was no longer trying to kill them.

Yuchi, after that shot.  Did you gentlemen remain in the immediate area, or like I would have done - duff the fuzz outta there?  If you remained, how long did you stay?  I'm just guessing, but if you could hear the wails for maybe a couple hours - just an estimate - how far away was the wailing?

If he got hit hard and after immediately getting away from the site of the shot - it sounds like this one died - resulting in the wails and crying sounds - is that how you read it?

And if you stayed - did you get any kickback - rocks or anything else maybe thrown?

To the best of my knowledge and belief & IMO/IIRC:

The "shot" occurred at approximately 18:30 hours, within ~30 minutes of "sniper boy" getting into the tree (climber) stand. We heard it from the campsite (~3/4 mile away) and the shooter announced "I got it" over the 2-way radios most of us were carrying. By the time we arrived on the scene the "entity" had managed to crawl/stumble away as by virtue of the stomach contents and blood I recovered shortly afterwards, it had been gut shot instead of rear, through the upper thorax as the shooter initially thought. It had belly crawled up to the doe carcass and grasped it by the snout (you could clearly see the indentations caused by each finger, in it) just before the shooter fired however, it was likely rotated over ~90 degrees and pulling it back into the brush between the time the shooter lowered the NV googles and sighted through his (regular) scope. There was a second one standing ~30 yards away next to the dim road but for some unexplained reason, the shooter didn't take that one.

After we got all the GCBRO/BFRO people away from the deer carcass area (they did manage to stomp out most of the evidence of the entity's ingress/egress) and secured a coleman lantern, we managed to locate the trail ~20 yards into the brush and within another ~40 yards, I began to locate/recover the blood and stomach content samples. We approached a fresh blowdown (still had the leaves in it's top) of ~35-40' in original height and heard a low growl emanate from it and I began to flank it from the starboard side, getting down into the creek bed that was meandering through the timber. I noticed the distinct hand print impression in the clay of the opposite bank where it had obviously stumbled and caught itself when getting down just ahead of me. As I was just at the point of clearing the right flank is when we heard two others coming in toward our position, one from the right (behind me) and the other from the opposite side. At that point two of the guys were positioned facing those directions with instructions to shoot anything that broke cover. At that point is when the rush (likes of which never previously experienced) came on as I suspect feelings of what we were dealing with and my own mortality came into keen focus. A few seconds later, the wounded one broke from the blowdown and I swung the shotgun in a level path at it's head and fired just as I cleared a large (~36" diameter) pin oak tree. At the blast, the two entities approaching stopped and retreated with the hunt organizer immediately getting on the radio ordering us (the six that went in to get it) out of the thicket as some of the GCBRO/BFRO people started to get excited and with them being armed and some inebriated, he probably felt it prudent to do so and in hindsight I'd agree and it was a miracle no one was accidentally shot that weekend.

We set up a perimeter as the hunt organizer said "it" was likely dying and wanted to wait until daylight to go back in for the extraction. A short time later is when an observer on the rise north of us in a 12' tower stand with TI binos came on the radio that something was walking, falling and walking out of the thicket, headed in his general direction. A group of people rushed up to that area but the guy's TI failed (batteries) a few minutes later and contact was lost. A couple of the BFRO guys had been playing with it the evening before and failed to put fresh batteries in it. We maintained the perimeter and a while later is when the moaning, wailing, crying sounds began and were a ways distant from the exit path of the wounded one. I suspect it was one of the two that had attempted to come in to it's aid and defense when we had originally went into the thicket.

BTW, it was later determined (after daylight) that I had fired several feet over the top of the entity as the creek bed meandered beside and behind the pin oak I was using as a reference point with it bailing off into the creek bed on the opposite side of the tree.

A few days later, the hunt organizer found another patch of blood within 75 yards of where the guy with the TI was positioned and a bit past his position. He allegedly sent a sample off for analysis and the "official" version was it came back "unknown primate" with his immediate demands for our samples. Our group of three had agreed we were going to keep them as the hunt organizer had publically stated earlier, we could. I made contact with Dr. Meldrum and he referred me to Dr. Fahrenbach to whom I was going to overnight the samples to him with the stipulation he could do whatever he wanted with them as all we wanted to know was...what was this. That's when I learned one of our group had secretly returned the samples I recovered to the hunt organizer. We still don't speak to each other.

~14 months later, during the "cookout" event in Oklahoma is when the aggressive behavior was experienced.

Edited by Yuchi1
typo
  • Upvote 3

Thanks, Yuchi. 

From what I saw in combat - being gutshot is about as agonizing a way to go as it gets.  

Without being too insensitive - do you have any idea what caliber rifle the "sniper boy" was using?  I mean, if you found stomach contents and a good bit of blood mass - it sounds like a through-and-through, but that could be anything from a 25-06 to a .308, which is about as big as most southern hunters use - and still get a through and through, assuming it didn't hit a bone.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:21 PM, MIB said:

I don't know if it is relevant, but one of my plans is, if things get too crazy, to just sit down.   From sitting you can't flee and you can't attack.  It shows a willingness to accept the situation as-is.

MIB 

MIB

This is relevant to me since it is acceptance in my part while hunting. It is hard to accept your own fate when fleeing is an option. But when those doors shut and your alone and come home. You seem to understand a different creature.

Man, Yuchi, that was tough to read. I went back through the thread and did not see the original story from 14 months ago, but your recap here seems sufficient.

What a waste. What's done is done, but the whole notion of trying to collect a "specimen" is full of ugly realities. It seems clear the "sniper" was not up to the job, and the recovery process was not all that it should have been. I'm not trying to point fingers so much as to acknowledge that was just an ugly, ugly event. As a hunter myself, I sense that risks were taken that needn't be. Another way to put it is that I'd expect more respect is typically given trying to take a trophy whitetail. As I said, just a waste.

When I began my investigation into this phenomenon some four plus years ago, I'm certain that I leaned toward the pro-kill line of thinking. With all the study I've done and my own interactions now (no sighting), I am decidedly in the no-kill camp. To know that this creature--and its mates--suffered unnecessarily just saddens me.

Not intended as a flame--as I said, what's done is done. I just think your story should be a message to all wanna-be "collectors" that their chance for success is extremely low. While their chance for getting someone killed is extremely high.

But thanks for bravely putting your account out there. I hope others do see it for what it is--a cautionary tale.

• Upvote 4

On 12/2/2016 at 1:15 PM, BC witness said:

In addition to the feelings of both 1980squatch, and MIB, the only real surprise to me was the speed and ease with which the creature could traverse the very rugged and steep terrain where my definitive sighting took place.

BC Witness, have you a write up on your sighting anywhere? Somewhere in your neighborhood around Harrison Lake maybe? Apologies if this has already been covered, I am just revising old material.

Gotta Know, indeed it was hard to read. And Yuchi1 I can tell from your tone in relating the account that you are not all that proud of the way things went down. I can also understand better your soul searching after the fact that brought you into the no-kill camp. You may be different today had you and the team been successful? Just the sense of wonderment and awe of being able to see the creature up close and delivering the body to science would have changed everything although deep down you may have still harbored regrets. Thankfully you seem the type of person that would. Needless to say it was a sad tale. Gotta Know is right on point as is anyone else in saying that there are "ugly realities" in this pursuit.

People have said it many times here that so much needs to be in place far ahead of trying to bring one of these creatures in. One being the knowledge that history has showed that Sasquatch can take a bullet and get away even if it dies later. And that's almost too harsh of a thing to say. Tough critter. Very tough critter. It actually makes me wonder how the party got out of that situation alive. I also wonder what the shooter is thinking today. I think such an event would change anyone. It's still unfathomable to me that there is this very large, very strong, bipedal creature out there. Heck of an account, thank you. I plussed you for again having the courage in relating it

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gotta Know said:

Man, Yuchi, that was tough to read. I went back through the thread and did not see the original story from 14 months ago, but your recap here seems sufficient.

What a waste. What's done is done, but the whole notion of trying to collect a "specimen" is full of ugly realities. It seems clear the "sniper" was not up to the job, and the recovery process was not all that it should have been. I'm not trying to point fingers so much as to acknowledge that was just an ugly, ugly event. As a hunter myself, I sense that risks were taken that needn't be. Another way to put it is that I'd expect more respect is typically given trying to take a trophy whitetail. As I said, just a waste.

When I began my investigation into this phenomenon some four plus years ago, I'm certain that I leaned toward the pro-kill line of thinking. With all the study I've done and my own interactions now (no sighting), I am decidedly in the no-kill camp. To know that this creature--and its mates--suffered unnecessarily just saddens me.

Not intended as a flame--as I said, what's done is done. I just think your story should be a message to all wanna-be "collectors" that their chance for success is extremely low. While their chance for getting someone killed is extremely high.

But thanks for bravely putting your account out there. I hope others do see it for what it is--a cautionary tale.

Assuming the story is true? It's a tough read for me as well except not in the way you read it.

Gut shot or not these guys had a solid blood trail. One of those pink unicorn moments in Bigfootdom in which tracking this creature is a given. HALLELUJAH!!!!!! So why the hell stop!??? Your on the very verge of making one of the largest discoveries in the history of mankind.... I'm not judging Yuchi per say, I've been watching the GCBRO on the TV. Landsdale is certainly heavy handed in where he places people, what actions they are allowed to take, and his leash on you is that two way radio.

I would have turned my radio off and kept going. That may have resulted in my dismemberment and death of course. But nothing is guaranteed with dangerous game or even hunting ungulates in their territory. Some western hunters last breath was taken while their arms where inside a warm Elk chest cavity. They never saw the grizzly bear behind them.

I think the reward is worth the risk.

I agree Norseman. It is worth the risk and I think it safe to say that Yuchi1 thought it was as well or he wouldn't have been out there- in ANY capacity. Evidently though what transpired had a profound effect on him and I can respect that- but he still goes out into the woods and does research looking for bones. So at least he's still out there. There are stories of hunters that after an encounter absolutely WILL NOT go back into the woods.

I think what also happened is that the party instinctively knew they had lost their tactical edge and that even in the daytime the element of surprise had shifted in favor of the Sasquatch. And THAT couldn't have been a good feeling within the team. Sure, I may be assuming a bit too much here but then I am a Human after all. And being Human I can imagine the scenario and don't think my sensibilities are that far off when looking at this. 

Edited by hiflier

In reply:

FA, the shooter was using a H&K semi-auto in .308 caliber and a borrowed set of Gen III NV goggles but had a regular (~30 MM bell) scope on it hence the break in target acquisition when going from the NV to the scope not to mention he may have experienced a degree of night blindness which is often the case when using green or red NV lens. Also, it was clear, ~25 degrees Fahrenheit, no wind and a full moon facing him just to starboard.

GK,

The sniper was a member and employee of the Caddo Nation based out of Anadarko, Oklahoma. He did tell me (before the shot) that his tribal elders would "have his head" if they knew where he was and what he was up to as these entities are regarded as sacred and never to be harmed except in cases of obvious self-defense. This same philosophy was confirmed by my Yuchi elders as well once I began to delve 

into the history and context of these beings.

Norse,

I was reared that alcohol and firearms had absolutely no business together in the field and I'd bet you share that philosophy. As mentioned, after my shot, the GCBRO/BFRO people out on the perimeter apparently became agitated enough to cause the hunt organizer to order us out as things could have easily went "western" had one of them "saw" something.  I agree it was a muffed opportunity with the loss of my samples as who knows what conclusions the findings of Dr. Fahrenbach would have furnished.

Point of order:

When this event occurred, I had been involved in Sasquatchery for <2 months and as such, was totally green to the ramifications of such an endeavor. Nonetheless, it still took another ~14 months to come to the full realization of the folly, risks and the unholy aspect of the whole pro-kill agenda.

Edited by Yuchi1
Typo
  • Upvote 2

The moral of the story for me is two fold.

Firstly, the type specimen dies with extreme prejudice. This isn't sport hunting. If I could catch it in a grizzly bear leg hold trap, I'd do it in a heart beat. If I could run it over with my Peterbilt I'd do it in a heartbeat. The GCBRO states they will only harvest a male......why!!?? Out of some sense of chivalry? Or is this sport hunting again?

Lets just get the grisly job done and over with. Remember, this is what science demands of us. Do it right the first time and we will never have to visit this ugly chapter of Bigfootery ever again. We can ban harming them ever more once they are proven to EXIST.

Secondly, bad shots happen to the best of us. Your rifle gets knocked in the scabbard, bad light, buck fever, or just plain bad aim.....it happens. People lose their nerve, get scared, get tired, get cold, it happens.....

At least they are out there trying!!! It's not a ego contest. Everyone deals with their emotions in their own way. I have way more respect for this Native American shooter that gut shot the darn thing than I do a vast majority of people. Here is a rifle! Go solve the mystery in the pitch black! Good luck! I'm not afraid to stand up and say I respect that. He tried.....