A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

Yuchi did just fine.

I know some folks - most folks only believe there are five senses.  There's a sixth, and even a seventh that manifests itself very, very rarely.

Seems like Yuchi experienced his sixth sense in that rush he described.  Especially as there were two other critters they could hear, and one was approaching Yuchi from behind.  Apparently, the hunt organizer was smart enough to realize that not only was the initiative was lost, but tactical control and coordination was lost as well.  To continue - under those circumstances - with all that adrenalin released, someone was likely to get shot and killed.  

If you'd only had Norse with you  .  .  .

• Upvote 1

Control? Your talking about a guy with a walkie talkie standing next to a fire. I'm not beating up Lansdale either, but he certainly isn't orbiting the area in a bird with a NV scope.

And I have no illusions about the dangers of hunting these things at night. But that's why your there in this first place right? 

As far as Yuchi....he and I do not butt heads about his actions that night. Albeit I would have continued but whatever. No, we butt heads about his subsequent flip flop and militant anti kill stance since that night. And his constant nagging on organizations like the GCBRO and the NAWAC. As well as my group....the fact that we are called project "Grendel" is offensive to him. 

Edited by norseman

It is easy to say, "I'd have done this or I'd have done that" in the situation, however unless you were there, it's IMO talking out of one's arse.

Further context: The evening before, some of the GCBRO/BFRO'ers went on a walkabout with the TI binoculars (which is why the batteries failed the following night) and returned to the campsite announcing they had seen ~8 BF. The leader of that squad walked past our tent with a bottle of JD in one hand and his Marlin model 1895 slung in the crook of his arm apparently oblivious to the fact he was dragging the barrel through the gravel of the dim road. 

Needless to say the three of us were far more concerned about this type of behavior than anything BF would do to us.

As far as ragging on a particular group, their two episodes on cable TV speak volumes.

BTW, on a subsequent outing one of their participants was discovered returning from the timber adjacent to camp with a boom box in hand, screams and howls having just eminated from that area. Supposedly, no one had been apprised of his intentions beforehand.

IMO, anyone bent upon carrying the water for this bunch does so at extreme peril of their own credibility.

• Upvote 3

Fine. Awesome.

You don't like the GCBRO's methods. Start your own group, or join a different group that believes firearms and alcohol do not mix.....

Hell I got a mule with your name on it anytime Yuchi! Just don't start a anti kill crusade fer heaven sakes!

I promise you I would never ever quit you or a blood trail, so long as we could track it. One bad experience based on things beyond yer control is not cause to throw the baby out with the bath water......

We have our own group, looking for skeletal remains.

The looseness with gunfire isn't (IMO) restricted to this event as NAWAC has multiple documented events of fire sent downrange w/o a clear identification of the target. And yes, it's a negative on that group however, it's factual and if people have problems with truthful things.....

10 hours ago, norseman said:

Control? Your talking about a guy with a walkie talkie standing next to a fire. I'm not beating up Lansdale either, but he certainly isn't orbiting the area in a bird with a NV scope.

And I have no illusions about the dangers of hunting these things at night. But that's why your there in this first place right? 

As far as Yuchi....he and I do not butt heads about his actions that night. Albeit I would have continued but whatever. No, we butt heads about his subsequent flip flop and militant anti kill stance since that night. And his constant nagging on organizations like the GCBRO and the NAWAC. As well as my group....the fact that we are called project "Grendel" is offensive to him. 

Yeah.  Control.

A whole lot of our operations were at night - and only through repetition and maneuvering on flat land - in daylight - were we able to finally know by moving together where our guide-on was, and how fast each man tended to walk.  Then, when we got into broken terrain, at night, we intuitively knew where the man to our left and right were located.

Then, we'd sometimes operate in three groups - and especially during a fight - you can tell a whole lot by listening to the radio traffic - a whole lot.  Who's in trouble, who's maybe cut off, and those who aren't sure of where they are in relation to other teams.  That's always a disaster waiting to happen, especially during a meeting engagement.

I never heard Lansdale's name mentioned - but if it were him - I'd say at some point, based on past experiences - he knew operational coordination and initiative was lost, and it was time to call off the dogs before someone got shot.  That's the thing about experience - 

And did you not read some were drinking?  Wanting to jump in?  That's Loss of Control - something difficult to understand.  It's not a matter of IF something can be pushed - it's a matter of SHOULD a matter be pushed.  And this operation had shot it's bolt.

I don't think much of GCBFRO's tactics - I think everytime I see them go out - they're severely impaired for what they appear to be after.  They're hunters and have experience tracking - but that's not going to bring one in.  Their tactics are inadequate.  Their strategy is inadequate.  

But that doesn't mean that they didn't lose the initiative - and needed to be called in.  After a firefight, we'd have a debriefing so we'd all understand the action.  Then, we'd have new replacements who would tell us all the things they would have done - and how we could have done much better.

But when they got into their first firefight - half the time - you'd have to burn the stump and sift the ashes to find hide nor hair of them.  They were non-entities.

• Upvote 1

Adding to this: This event took place at the tract commonly known (formerly) as "Monster Central" in Desoto parish, Louisiana and Jim Lansdale (aka: Monster Hunter) was the organizer. IIRC, the place has since been sold to new owners.

Another thing he conveyed to us that night was there had been another "hunt" conducted the previous year wherein a experienced shooter (from Ohio) was in a tree stand ~30 yards from where the aforementioned sniper took his shot. This guy reportedly had multiple targets clearly lined up in his scope for several minutes but did not take a shot. He came in to camp, packed up and left w/o saying a word to anyone. Lansdale said he finally made contact with this person and upon learning what transpired, asked him why he didn't shoot. "Their faces looked too human" was the reply.

I realize this antagonizes some in the pro-kill arena however, those with the most angst are likely without ever having a visual sighting much less any higher degree of experiences and as such, ignorance of the subject matter is allowing them to rationalize things without having to be intellectually honest....with themselves.

As far as "science demands a body" that, IMO, is a total load of bovine caca. "Science" doesn't care two wits about BF and "discovery" is largely irrelevant within that community as the overwhelming majority have written this concept off and placed it into the unicorn compartment. Ego and/or money (fame & fortune) are (IMO) the true catalysts and the scientific bent is simply a cover story.

IIRC, Lansdale was going to "offer" the body to one or more of the timber companies...for a price.

That they have "too human" features surprises me not one bit.  I've stated many times I think they're a type of primitive man.  Or a hybrid of a primitive man.

Everyone starts throwing out DNA and existing lines of anthropological crap as proof of them being some ape - and I'm not impressed with it one bit.

I do make a distinction - they are a form of MAN, but not HUMAN.

Yuchi, we may disagree on the shoot/not shoot, but I have the ultimate respect for you and for you being capable of taking up your current position.  You know what you went through - we don't.

37 minutes ago, FarArcher said:

Yeah.  Control.

A whole lot of our operations were at night - and only through repetition and maneuvering on flat land - in daylight - were we able to finally know by moving together where our guide-on was, and how fast each man tended to walk.  Then, when we got into broken terrain, at night, we intuitively knew where the man to our left and right were located.

Then, we'd sometimes operate in three groups - and especially during a fight - you can tell a whole lot by listening to the radio traffic - a whole lot.  Who's in trouble, who's maybe cut off, and those who aren't sure of where they are in relation to other teams.  That's always a disaster waiting to happen, especially during a meeting engagement.

I never heard Lansdale's name mentioned - but if it were him - I'd say at some point, based on past experiences - he knew operational coordination and initiative was lost, and it was time to call off the dogs before someone got shot.  That's the thing about experience - 

And did you not read some were drinking?  Wanting to jump in?  That's Loss of Control - something difficult to understand.  It's not a matter of IF something can be pushed - it's a matter of SHOULD a matter be pushed.  And this operation had shot it's bolt.

I don't think much of GCBFRO's tactics - I think everytime I see them go out - they're severely impaired for what they appear to be after.  They're hunters and have experience tracking - but that's not going to bring one in.  Their tactics are inadequate.  Their strategy is inadequate.  

But that doesn't mean that they didn't lose the initiative - and needed to be called in.  After a firefight, we'd have a debriefing so we'd all understand the action.  Then, we'd have new replacements who would tell us all the things they would have done - and how we could have done much better.

But when they got into their first firefight - half the time - you'd have to burn the stump and sift the ashes to find hide nor hair of them.  They were non-entities.

The day before.... Yuchi observed them drinking, yes. And yet he still elected to go out with them. So I'm assuming he for whatever the reason had 86'd his concerns and went with full knowledge of what he was getting himself into.

And I guess the gravitas of the situation is different for each of us.... That wasn't a "hey we will get them next time" mission. That was a "hey we have Hitler cornered and with one final push we can end WW2 now!" Mission. Huge! HUGE!

As far as non entities....that's common for rookies. When I was on the fire dept. for 20 years we didn't stick rookies on the halligan tool or the nozzle.....nor did we send them up the ladder with a saw to ventilate the roof. We had them doing other valuable tasks like hooking to a hydrant. They were in the fight but not the tip of the spear.

Unfortunately no one is a expert Bigfoot hunter, we are making this up as we go along.

19 minutes ago, Yuchi1 said:

Adding to this: This event took place at the tract commonly known (formerly) as "Monster Central" in Desoto parish, Louisiana and Jim Lansdale (aka: Monster Hunter) was the organizer. IIRC, the place has since been sold to new owners.

Another thing he conveyed to us that night was there had been another "hunt" conducted the previous year wherein a experienced shooter (from Ohio) was in a tree stand ~30 yards from where the aforementioned sniper took his shot. This guy reportedly had multiple targets clearly lined up in his scope for several minutes but did not take a shot. He came in to camp, packed up and left w/o saying a word to anyone. Lansdale said he finally made contact with this person and upon learning what transpired, asked him why he didn't shoot. "Their faces looked too human" was the reply.

I realize this antagonizes some in the pro-kill arena however, those with the most angst are likely without ever having a visual sighting much less any higher degree of experiences and as such, ignorance of the subject matter is allowing them to rationalize things without having to be intellectually honest....with themselves.

As far as "science demands a body" that, IMO, is a total load of bovine caca. "Science" doesn't care two wits about BF and "discovery" is largely irrelevant within that community as the overwhelming majority have written this concept off and placed it into the unicorn compartment. Ego and/or money (fame & fortune) are (IMO) the true catalysts and the scientific bent is simply a cover story.

IIRC, Lansdale was going to "offer" the body to one or more of the timber companies...for a price.

Two things.

First If the PGF is real then we all know what it looks like....there should be no surprises with how human they look.

For two, I cannot speak for Lansdale but for me it's not about fame and fortune. I'm pretty sharing with what I do find out there, and other than fear of you and I bumping each other in a particular location. If you want a long/lat coordinate from me all you have to do is ask......and some I even post. I have nothing to hide and as long as this creature is proven I could not care less who does it. Furthermore if someone needed backed up or helped out logistically to make this happen I would be there in a heart beat. 

Remember, at the time, we were strictly mercenaries looking for the big payday. This did override our common sense to a degree and as stated earlier, a miracle no one was shot. That's why when Lansdale asked the three of us to come back two weeks later to search for the body, we agreed only as long as no one else was to be in on the search, for the obvious safety reasons.

As a hunter I find that laughable on Lansdale part! What hunter waits TWO WEEKS to follow a blood trail......

And the payday for me is a scientific one. It would be pretty cool to see Bigfoot step out of the myth shadows and become a real entity.

^^^ IMO, because they had been looking during that time and likely calculated that if anyone could find it we would being as we were the only ones that would go into the thicket(s) alone in a search pattern although one of our three did show his true colors (same one that sent my samples back to Lansdale) by bailing from the thicket 2X that weekend, when things started to get "interesting".

A bloated body was probably worth more than what they had...no body.

I totally concur with FA's assessment as this endeavor is totally unlike any sort of game animal tracking/hunting venue however, I would suggest they are much more difficult than hunting a human based upon the level of woodcraft these entities certainly appear to possess.

Edited by Yuchi1

33 minutes ago, FarArcher said:

True, no one is an expert Bigfoot hunter.  Very true.

Man hunting is nothing like hunting animals.

Nothing.

Very true but that cuts both ways.

Just because your a Green Beret does not mean your willing to get on your hands and knees and crawl into a Alder thicket after a wounded Kodiak brown bear your client shot.

^^^ Call us crazy but that's basically what we were doing much of the time, crawling through a coastal plain pine forest plantation with box elders thickly interspersed and which had caught the shower of pine needles so efficiently they look like dressed out Xmas trees with visibility of 3' or less at times. That's where we kept hearing things moving but there was no way to ascertain a target and the instances of where the poser among us exhibited his true characteristics.