A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

This is way to funny! :D Every hunter knows that a gut shot you do not go after the game that you sit back and wait for it to die and go look for it after a couple hours . You shoot the darn thing and then feel sorry after wards, what kind a of crap is that. I just do not get it. You call them Monsters yet you add emotions to them and now they are humans. Yea ok! I 'll go along with that. Right ! :wacko: What's next that they are strange big monkies ? 

I have been on my own on their turf and if I ever get a chance to drill one I am going to take it. But then again no one is going to know so who cares. Right ! It was a waste of a bullet and a wasted shot with wasted game.

5 hours ago, norseman said:

Very true but that cuts both ways.

Just because your a Green Beret does not mean your willing to get on your hands and knees and crawl into a Alder thicket after a wounded Kodiak brown bear your client shot.

I've never done that.

I have charged a machine gun post where the previous eight who tried got shot. 

A Kodiak doesn't shoot.  I much prefer the bear scenario.

So you're a guide on Kodiak Island?

SB,

If your post was directed at me, we didn't know it was gut shot until well into the thicket when the evidence of such was discovered. It was just a few minutes later when the wounded one began growling at us.

With all that transpired to that point and Lansdale ordered us out, one of the guys was so apparently traumatized we had to literally take him by the arm and walk him out.

Another guy in there with us was armed with only a flashlight and camera. IMO, M. K. Davis has balls the size of grapefruit and has always impressed me as a person of candor and honesty.

All I will say to those postulating upon how they would handle such a situation....be very careful what you wish for, pilgrim.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Yuchi1 said:

SB,

If your post was directed at me, we didn't know it was gut shot until well into the thicket when the evidence of such was discovered. It was just a few minutes later when the wounded one began growling at us.

With all that transpired to that point and Lansdale ordered us out, one of the guys was so apparently traumatized we had to literally take him by the arm and walk him out.

Another guy in there with us was armed with only a flashlight and camera. IMO, M. K. Davis has balls the size of grapefruit and has always impressed me as a person of candor and honesty.

All I will say to those postulating upon how they would handle such a situation....be very careful what you wish for, pilgrim.

And Yuchi - I'd bet a cup of good coffee that when he went in that night - he didn't expect to be traumatized.  Not in his wildest guess.

That's the thing.  Talk is talk.  No one for certain knows how they'll truly react in a serious, serious situation - until it's done.  I was the opposite - my greatest fear was choking with fear and my hesitation getting someone else hurt.  I had a hope I wouldn't choke, but until events rolled me into a shooting situation - no one, including me, knew how I would react.  Expectation never seems to match up with reaction.

Sounds like this M. K. Davis is someone to ride the river with.

• Upvote 1

FarArcher and Yuchi

You are both right I have never been combat tested but have been Bigfoot tested if you can call it that way. There is no way that i would have walked away from it no matter how bad it was. I would have not froze like other people would have. I can see how people might have to have help gain composer during some event of this sort. Since this type of event would be an event of a dramatic event beyond what we consider normal.

I believe I would be like Norseman and pursue after waiting for the creature to die. By pursuing the creature right away you are pushing the creature further and furthering it to expire. It is just like big game , if you know that you did not make a good shot on the animal then you know not to pursue it.

Now I just do not fear them and if I am with my son and he has a pellet gun and i see something dark  behind a tree I just shoot at it. I really do not care. I do it cause I want to know if it is them or not. If I have my rifle I am going to shoot at it , but again no one will never know if i ever killed one since it will be my secret with my maker.

I can tell you one thing Yuchi that freaked me out and that is my incident with the peanut butter jar that was returned to us. That blew my mind and had me in tears since I felt like this or should I say these things read us like a book. I thought that they were some type of monkeys ro some thing like them. We were totally wrong and were out played . We were left speechless while at the same time out smarted. You cannot compete with some thing that can out smart you.

3 hours ago, FarArcher said:

I've never done that.

I have charged a machine gun post where the previous eight who tried got shot. 

A Kodiak doesn't shoot.  I much prefer the bear scenario.

So you're a guide on Kodiak Island?

And I thank you for your service.

No. I cannot afford a brown bear tag. I've hunted black bears in Alaska and have had grizzly encounters in Washington/ Idaho. Nothing more.

But I've been in harm's way often enough as a firefighter. 

Edited by norseman

12 hours ago, FarArcher said:

True, no one is an expert Bigfoot hunter.  Very true.

Man hunting is nothing like hunting animals.

Nothing.

Just because your a Green Beret does not mean your willing to get on your hands and knees and crawl into a Alder thicket after a wounded Kodiak brown bear your client shot.

10 hours ago, norseman said:

No, I never crawled on my hands and knees in a thicket after a wounded Kodiak brown bear a client shot.  

I have entered enemy occupied caves and tunnel complexes armed with a .45 - and a flashlight I screened and used intermittently - does that count?

Some of them were wounded, had AK's, grenades, and some of the underground complexes were booby-trapped - and you think I rather do that than face a wounded bear?

I was going to let this go - but your now-recognized as rhetorical question was, "  .  .  .  doesn't mean you're willing to get on your hands and knees and crawl into an Alder thicket after a wounded Kodiak brown bear your client shot."

SO many things just wrong with this question.  

It IMPLIES

1.  you are a guide on Kodiak Island.

2.  You've had clients shoot but not kill a Kodiak bear.

3.  That retreated into an Alder thicket,

4.  You client was unwilling to finish his kill, and

3.  You had to go after the bear on your hands and knees.

First, a Kodiak, Grizzly, and Coastal Brown - they're all brown bears.  It's just that Kodiaks are brown bears limited to Kodiak Island.  A grizzly is basically a brown bear found in the Lower 48.  All other brown bears, especially the big Coastals in Alaska - are also brown bears - just not found in the Lower 48 or on Kodiak Island.

It's understood among the hunting family that the Kodiak is a brown bear within hunting circles - and needs not be repeated.  To use the term Kodiak brown bear is duplicative mis-terminology, normally one who isn't all that familiar with the proper terminology, common terminology usage, and common terminology understanding.

Fine.  You're the baddest of the bad.  You're a wounded Bigfoot Kamikaze.  A fearless great hunter among hunters.

It's all yours.

That better?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, norseman said:

The only person on this website who is a legend in their own mind? Is you dude.......

Well, one of us is mistaken.  Your habit is to be disagreeable while disagreeing.  Then when you get frustrated - you just can't let something go.  We'll just chalk that up to "enthusiastic discussion" techniques, just for the pure **** of it.

If like you've stated, this is an ape - then it's just a dumb animal and really should have been taken long ago.

If I'm correct in that it's a form of primitive man -

then they have tactical excellence,

they have "family" groups,

they hunt together,

they've adapted to us by conceding the daylight world to us, and dominating the night time world to them.

they're intelligent enough to avoid swollen headed hunters,

they'll carry off and bury their dead (maybe a bit of cannibalism here and there - but so do humans)

they have their own means of communicating warnings, intrusions, and coordinate hunting movements

they're smart enough to note human behavior and reside in what would be difficult terrain for humans,

they're smart enough to raid gardens, orchards, and feed for farm animals, and almost clean them out,

they'll have one surrounded without him knowing it, especially at night, using misdirection

and they'll take to the ground more often than not - enabling them to hide from the same swole-headed hunters who can only say, "none around here."

I would never, ever go out with someone like you.  

When your opponent is clever, just one person on your own team who exhibits myopic, impetuous, reckless, and frankly, a too limited mindset - that's a working disaster.

• Upvote 3

On 1/4/2017 at 7:30 PM, sheri said:

Well MIB, I have gone back. I just don't go alone. I couldn't, not go back.  I have moved since then, which brings me to the question on why you said their attitude is different in the SE. We have moved to east Tennessee. My husband had an incident while he was fixing the gate to the goat pasture. He was hammering when he said he heard 4 knocks behind him. He judged it to be about 40 feet away. He said he froze for a moment then reached for his weapon in his waistband and slowly turned to see nothing.  He thought it was a person. That was his first thought. He went around the area and didn't see anyone. He said later that he realized it was the pattern he was hammering, 4 pounds at a time.  We have 18 acres mostly wooded. We have not had another incident, although in the spring and this fall  we have heard howling in the distance that sounds like An American werewolf in London when they were in the moors, LOL, and it's 10 times louder than the hounds in the area.

FarArcher, I call them silent runners. It's amazing how quietly they can run when they don't want to be detected.

Sheri, you're not kidding!

During my up close - accidental - encounter, this thing was (I hate to call it running, exactly) coming mighty fast in more of a crossing of the mountain slope, and I never heard anything.  I was getting growled at real loud by what I assume was another one from the nearby cluster of trees, but for something that big to cover that much ground, and never make a sound - in reflection - was quite a feat.

A week or so later, the team member that I had dropped off when all this happened, found another "sweet spot" with bars - and he went up the first switchback to again, call home.  He came fogging it back down mighty quick, as he'd seen another.  This was a bit different.  There was an open area much like a meadow, and he said as he was talking with his back to the meadow, he heard heavy "thumps" and spun around to see what it was.  

He was shocked to see this thing shooting uphill in the meadow.  He said, "You remember that scene in Jurassic Park, where the puddle of water showed the vibrations, and then the deep thumps as the T. Rex approached?  That was what it was like."

He wondered where it came from, as this was open ground, with only grasses and mountain flowers in the meadow.  I told him that as he approached on the ATV, the thing flattened out in the field.  Only after he turned his back on it, did this critter feel it was time to clear out of there.  The flowers and grasses were not even knee-tall.  And he wasn't looking for anything in the flowers and grasses - just a casual visual scan.

Combine that ability with their natural "ghillie suit," and folks are just not going to see them.  Most everyone's looking for an upright critter.  No telling how many times I've been out in the wild and had one real close and never even thought about one - and it remained undetected.

If you're out looking for six-foot, blue tinted, green-eyed men who wear turpentine-soaked rags around their ankles, shave their heads, and wear purple hats - if you don't see these blue tinted, green-eyed men with turpentine rags, shaved heads with purple hats - that you're expecting - you won't see them.  

They seem to make noise only when they want to - from everyone I've talked to, and from the hundreds and hundreds of narratives I've read.

Good observation!

• Upvote 2