A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

22 hours ago, FarArcher said:

I've noticed.

Well I'll be sure to give you a call if I run into any VC tunnels while Bigfoot hunting in my research area in the northern Rockies.

;)

One thing that has always bothered me about supposed BF encounters is this idea that they are silent even when running.  What about a BF, a flesh and blood creature, would give it the special ability to move quickly or run in a forest littered with debris and sticks?  Physical beings break sticks and ground coverage as they move quickly, these are 7' tall creatures estimated at 500, 600, 700lbs +.  They still find a way to not rustle branches, trees, step on sticks that crack...etc etc.  

Twist ...

Try taking your shoes off and go deer hunting barefoot.   Until you actually do it, rather than just speculate about it, you simply can't comprehend how incredible the difference is.

MIB

• Upvote 3

I never said a word about deer hunting or being barefoot hunting said deer in the woods.  How could I speculate on it as you claim?

How do you know I've never hunted a deer barefoot?  That IS pure speculation on your part.

Has everyone else already hunted deer barefoot in the woods in order to speculate about BF speed and silence in the woods?  That's what I was actually speculating on.  Did not know there were pre-reqs to do so.

If I had hunted deer barefoot in the woods would I have been running towards it quickly as such I touched on in my post.  You know, a big creature running or moving quickly silently in the woods.  Not stalking btw, if you didn't get that point.  

8 minutes ago, Twist said:

One thing that has always bothered me about supposed BF encounters is this idea that they are silent even when running.  What about a BF, a flesh and blood creature, would give it the special ability to move quickly or run in a forest littered with debris and sticks?  Physical beings break sticks and ground coverage as they move quickly, these are 7' tall creatures estimated at 500, 600, 700lbs +.  They still find a way to not rustle branches, trees, step on sticks that crack...etc etc.  

Twist

My pitbull was able to pick one of them up as it circled our camp site. We were all chatting trying to get to know each other since it was the first time we had met. My dog was pointing in the direction of the intruder and it was where we found the large tracks in Foley swamp the next morning.

In a another spot myself and friend where we hunt they will announce them selves by stepping on a branch along a trail as the follow us out. So no it is not like they are very secretive like ninjas. My self in my own opinion I feel like they like to do this. Like letting us know that they are there. Now I do not deal with Monkeys on a daily process so I have no idea what their behavior is like. But what these things do does not sound or even feel like animal behavior. I just can say that it has changed me and apparently Yuchi1. They might have even changed Faracher, Norseman is on his way there. It is like it has been said the proof is what has been pulled out of the woods. If you know where that Big Buck is you do not tell others where. You wait for the opportunity for it to make a mistake. Big antlers do not grow big with out encounters with hunters who have missed. They learn ! 

1 minute ago, ShadowBorn said:

Twist

My pitbull was able to pick one of them up as it circled our camp site. We were all chatting trying to get to know each other since it was the first time we had met. My dog was pointing in the direction of the intruder and it was where we found the large tracks in Foley swamp the next morning.

In a another spot myself and friend where we hunt they will announce them selves by stepping on a branch along a trail as the follow us out. So no it is not like they are very secretive like ninjas. My self in my own opinion I feel like they like to do this. Like letting us know that they are there. Now I do not deal with Monkeys on a daily process so I have no idea what their behavior is like. But what these things do does not sound or even feel like animal behavior. I just can say that it has changed me and apparently Yuchi1. They might have even changed Faracher, Norseman is on his way there. It is like it has been said the proof is what has been pulled out of the woods. If you know where that Big Buck is you do not tell others where. You wait for the opportunity for it to make a mistake. Big antlers do not grow big with out encounters with hunters who have missed. They learn ! 

I get that and don't dispute they can be silent when stalking or moving slowly and deliberately.  I question a large animal RUNNING through a dense forest without making a noise.  How do the not move tree branches, step on sticks, slip on a log that looks solid but is actually rotten etc.  

BFF Patron
2 minutes ago, Twist said:

I get that and don't dispute they can be silent when stalking or moving slowly and deliberately.  I question a large animal RUNNING through a dense forest without making a noise.  How do the not move tree branches, step on sticks, slip on a log that looks solid but is actually rotten etc.  

Well in my experience you have a good point.    I think they have two modes of travel.     1.    Silent and stealthy when they know humans are around and   2.   who cares who hears them because they think humans are not around.           I have experienced both modes.     When interacting with them a number of times and they know I am present,  the only way I can get them to make noise when they move, is force them to move away by closing on them.    Even then it is low thuds right at the lower limit of my hearing as I think they move from tree to tree maintaining cover and trying to keep out of my sight.        I have been flanked and had one approach while I was forcing one to move by closing on it and never heard the one that had moved behind me, until it chose to break off a small tree or large branch to scare me.    Just the fact that it was capable of that scared me more than the growl I got from the one in front of me.    I have no illusions, it could not have moved in quickly behind me and got to a lethal distance before I knew it was there.  I only heard it because it wanted me to so I would back away from the one in front of me.              The encounter (my first) where I am pretty sure they did not know I was there, one was moving rabidly through dense forest with another, and making a lot of noise breaking down wood and as it got closer I heard heavy footfalls.   10 miles from the nearest human they are probably very noisy as they move, because they can move a lot quicker that way.     For sure I cannot move as quietly as ones have around me.      They have the stride length to carefully place each foot and avoid breaking dry wood.    Also they can and do drop into quadrupedal mode and can move quite rapidly that way.      Humans who have not spent years hunting or in the military cannot have developed skills like that.     Certainly the radius where I can place a foot is a lot smaller than they have.     Many down trees require me, in spite of fairly long legs, to crawl over or under them.     An 8 to 9 foot BF could just step over them.  While juveniles are often reported running,    I really do not think that adults feel the need to do that.      They can walk, faster than most of us can run.     Most of us are not crazy enough to try to follow  (I guess I must be).      Certainly they can navigate heavily forested ground, faster than most humans can.      It just dawned on me that the ones I was interacting with may have stopped that, because they thought I was nuts.     Who in their right mind would try to corner a BF?     I guess I have to admit to that.    (Ice cream cone on the forehead moment).     They got nasty after that growl encounter.    Hmmmmm!

• Upvote 2

Twist

While you are on deer, they are big and I have seen them run through some heavy stuff and not make noise.  Lets that they do run on fours rather on two legs but then people have seen them run on two and not heard a thing. I have seen them go from tree to tree and not make any noise. Some times when they it was from the side of my vision. Their run is like a gliding motion, like almost like on their toes. I find it difficult but maybe for them their feet are different from ours as it shows in their tracks. There are times that I have found toe tracks that I have blown off as deer tracks on top and next to each other. but then I find the front part of the foot as I track the deer.

At our camp site these prints were giant leaps and behind the pines as to keep it in the dark and hidden. But we just could not hear it but the dog could. So they must have some ability that they practice as they grow.

Twist

I agree with you there ! Heck yea any creature on two feet weighing over 600lb is going to make some trails. High branches and all that is going to be clear that a large creature came though there with force. There ain't nothing that's going to stop it once that gets going. It's a locomotive with no breaks. But walking through the forest with less evidence is a better way of evading IMO. I think the only time they worry is when people are around. But I do believe they do hang around hunters to steel their game.

4 hours ago, norseman said:

Well I'll be sure to give you a call if I run into any VC tunnels while Bigfoot hunting in my research area in the northern Rockies.

;)

BS.

On your best day, you couldn't find them either

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Twist said:

I've sat on bear blinds many many times and was always amazed at how quiet and cautious Bears approached the bait.

Its the soft pad of their feet that is the trick unlike a hooved animal. They both make noise but the Bear is significantly quieter.

I would assume Bigfoot would share in the stealth of the Bear because their feet are similar.

Only way a Bigfoot can be totally silent in the woods is if the vegetation/leaf matter of the forest floor allows them to be silent.

• Upvote 1

FWIW: what if their "silent mode" of running in the bush involves use of infrasound to shield/confuse the homo sapien(s) in the vicinity?

IIRC, one of the effects of infrasound exposure is gaps in time continuum recall by the subject thereof.

Unless they create a sort of quiet white noise when they move. A way of moving that has no head bobbing but instead is more like 'Patty's" foot movement where the heel is rolling down as the toes are rolling up. So the feet sort of "roll" continuously one after another. In other words- there is ALWAYS and little bit of continuous soft sound without having the intermittent  footfall thuds one might expect. Then the upper torso can remain steady making it look like there is a gliding motion. The knees then will be doing all of the trickery in keeping the feet in the walking plane but moving almost bicycle style which more circular in motion. Or. It's the reason the lower calf-to-back-of-hamstring angle is more acute than a Human's? Generally speaking if one's walking or running disallows gaps between footfalls then there can be a total soft sound- the result being absence of any pounding or crunching from separate foot noises. The technique actually promotes a more gliding type of appearance when moving and is easier to accomplish in creatures with longer feet.    

Edited by hiflier