A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

During your experience(s), what one thing that you realized that maybe you'd never considered, but found to be the most surprising/shocking?

I was already convinced by the evidence they were real, I just never expected to see one myself.   I'd read quite a few local-ish reports coming from people my grandfathers both spoke well of and the guy who wrote up most of the investigations was also spoken of well by them so I just assumed BF was real.   Those were mostly over the mountains to the west and to the northwest where my family was originally from, 30-50 miles away by winding graveled mountain roads.   Despite having found a track line a bit over a mile from our house a couple years earlier, it never really dawned on me that I could actually see one. 

It's like ... well, you know the lottery is real and you know people win it, but you never expect it to be you.   That day it was me.

MIB

Somewhat similar to MIB, I'd become thoroughly convinced by the evidence but thought of an encounter as a rare, near-mythical event, almost unattainable. I expected to spend a decade traipsing around the most remote forests of Colorado just to hear that one unexplainable vocal or wood knock... First purposeful camping trip, eye glow peeking at us 30 ft from camp, stick structure finds, rocks thrown; next trip back to the same spot, dramatic tree break, more stick structures, distant sighting of one peeking at us. That was a couple hours drive into the mountains.

Then I started having encounters at a trail a 5 minute drive up the canyon from my house at the SW edge of the suburbs. Now I'm in the "widespread, high population with extreme capabilities" camp.

Now that I'm in Chicago, the next step is to figure out the right approach to meeting these BF families that use the Chicago forest preserves.

• Upvote 1

In addition to the feelings of both 1980squatch, and MIB, the only real surprise to me was the speed and ease with which the creature could traverse the very rugged and steep terrain where my definitive sighting took place.

They looked more human and defined than I would have ever expected, I always imagined sasquatch to look shaggy, ugly and ape like.

• Upvote 1

I was initially stunned with the sighting itself - but was amazed at how much ground he was covering with so little effort.  And as I replayed it again and again, I was surprised to realize that their ankle is hinged different from ours, and how "loose" their knees seemed to be.

The knee seemed to have more horizontal "wobble" than ours which are more "straight line" tight.

With your experience(s), at any time were you somewhat surprised at their vision?  At night?  During daylight?

Vision ... ok, yeah.  

It wasn't a sighting, but around the 19th/20th of August, 2011, I had night visits 2 nights in a row by the same lake (though different camp spots).   Both nights it was incredibly dark while the activity was going on and that quit when the moon came up.

We were in the bottom of a glacial cirque by a small lake, 10-12 acres perhaps, under heavy alpine fir canopy, the moon, which would have been about half, wasn't to rise above the canyon rim for several more hours, and the second night, the sky was about half obscured by remnant thunder clouds.    It was so dark the second night I could not see the outline of my hand in front of my face, I could only locate it by finding a star and moving my hand in front of it.

The second night, the big guy came in walking at fairly high speed, steps cadence like mine but much longer steps covering ground fast.   He was changing directions as he weaved between tree trunks on his way in.   He didn't hit any of them, didn't hit any of the logs, and the only swishing was the snowberry as he walked through it, no branches pushed aside that I heard.   Bipedal, absolutely.   900 pounds or more.   Soft bottomed or leather bottomed shoes, not soled shoes.   Yeah, that sucker could SEE.

In fact, as he stood over me, invisible to me, a lot of things went through my head.   Ishi?   Feral people or a remnant tribe with access to night vision gear?   What the ... what the ... what the .. ?  Because it would take the equivalent of night vision gear to see to have walked that route into camp without running into something and to have seen me and stopped before stepping on me.

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 3

During your experience(s), what one thing that you realized that maybe you'd never considered, but found to be the most surprising/shocking?

The day I found out that they could read what I was thinking or maybe hear what I was thinking. I found this out in my personal journey to finding the truth. It was only two days and the first day I tried it scared the crap out of me. But it had to be tested on my part and on my own. It is different when you are alone and find out the truth. Like maybe I should not have opened that door yet I was curious. Untested waters do scare the crap out if one when done.

But on the other hand I felt like a king in the wilderness when they were around. Can you imagine having just these guys guarding your six or even taking point. Who needs guns when you can creatures like this to control but in a friendly way.

The other thing I experience was the fear I had of them. If only I could have controlled my fear in certain moments I would have learned more of them. Now you did ask for most surprising/ shocking. Well I cannot deny this mind stuff and have to realize that they are capable of this.

Got something else for you guys to think about.

1.  Did you ever get an indication that one of these things had gone up a larger tree, or did you even think to ponder that?

2.  If you were well above them (in angle) did you find they don't in turn look up so much?  But if they were above you - they were more aware of your presence?

These things may not be something you even thought of at the time, but even on reflection, any input here?

Trees .. the ones I saw, no.   There's one incident I attribute to BF which has puzzled me ... up a tree is a very logical possibility.

There's a report from Northern California, either Redwoods or Jedidiah Smith park, of a big redwood back toward the edge of a park area which has bark that suggests signs of something climbing the trunk which, if I remember right, is bare for 60 feet or so but impossible to see on up.   I haven't been back to the area since I heard about it so I haven't taken time to check on it myself.   Sounds like a good spot for a trail cam.

The two I saw were essentially at the same level I was, very slight slopes only.   Your idea is not bad though.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

There are quite a few reports of hunters having them walk under their tree stands. If I remember right ShadowBorn's sighting was like that but he would have to confirm that. It's one of the reasons I am now placing trailcams around 16' up in trees looking downward. 

I've never been in a tree stand but it would have to up there for me to feel comfortable. You hear stories of hunters up 11' or 12' and having one walk underneath.  No way...mine would be up 15' or more.

I've never been in a tree stand and don't plan to start now.   For the most part we don't use tree stands here, we have a lot of public land, we're not cornered and limited by private property boundaries to the degree people in other parts of the country are so there has never been a lot of need.    I've already met bigfoot on the ground.   It left alive, I left alive.  I don't think either of us felt all that threatened.   I don't have any concerns about doing it again.   If I were, I wouldn't count on 4 feet more height of a tree stand to save me, I'd stay out of the woods instead.

MIB

BFF Patron

I missed this original post.     My initial exposure followed a couple of footprint finds.     I knew they existed and were in the area.   I was just a matter of being there when they were.    The first encounter started with whooping back and forth as they came down on each side of a large creek towards me.    This creek would be called a river in most of the country.     At first, I thought the whoops were some strange owl.    Then when the second one started answering I was puzzled.   Had never heard owls whooping back and forth to each other.   I stood and figured they would come flying up the creek towards me, like an eagle I had seen another time flying up the creek.   I did not know it was a BF until I heard the footfalls.   One was headed right towards me and I could tell from the footfalls and breaking dry wood it was huge.    The sounds of the T-rex breaking through the brush in the first Jurassic Park movie came rushing through my mind.   I was right in one's path and had a fleeting thought that I might die right then and there.    I looked around and realized that there was no place to hide.    I thought about my gun and just knew that it would be useless for something that big.   I did not even draw it.    It saw me before I saw it and when down into a crouch with an enormous thud that I felt through my feet.   15 seconds or so of silence then rapid tree knocks of 4 or 5 knocks.  

I had not even heard of the ape/ human like whooping before.    So did not initially know what it was.     This happened mid day.     They are not suppose to be out and about in mid day was the second surprise.          The apparent mass of what was making the footsteps was the most surprising thing.    After waiting for it to do something,  I ventured towards it,   and got the picture of the juvenile popping up and peeking at me.    Fear suddenly hit me, I felt trapped by all the down wood around me that I had started to crawl over,   to get to where I heard the thud,    and I wanted to back out.    After I did, and all the noise of the approach they withdrew completely silently.   I did not hear another noise from them as they left.     That something huge enough to make that noisy approach could withdraw without so much as a twig breaking is remarkable.    

Before, I figured my first encounter might take years and that it would be a fleeting glimpse through the trees from a great distance.   I did not know I would be that close, nearly run over, and I would get a picture, all within 5 months of my first footprint find.    That it happened so quickly was the most surprising thing to me.    Now years later, that it happened at all, is the remarkable thing to me.     I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and they did not know where I was because of several reverses of direction of travel.   

• Upvote 2