A Quick Question For Those With Personal Experiences

FarArcher

They do that crab walk thing too. It is amazing how fast they can go. When I saw it, I thought they were a red eyed "something" flying just above the ground. I've seen them belly crawling through knee high grass with nothing but green eye glow visible, too. Up in trees or down low are the best places to look if they know you are around.

After my first close encounter, just like many other folks, I thought I was dealing with a simple animal.  Things then started happening that suggested a higher level of intelligence here that went beyond mere chance.  I also observed incredible physical abilities that defied simple explanations.   Through it all, I kept an open mind and continued my quest for answers.  At some time, I reached a point where nothing surprised me and I quit trying to prove anything to the skeptical minds and just enjoy the ride!    

• Upvote 2

They can get amazingly close doing the belly crawl. 

The black ones have excellent camouflage day or night in thick woods. They just blend into the shadows.

Funny, that reminds me of the lady in Noel's book that saw one creeping through tall grass near her. When she said so out loud, it proceeded to crawl away backwards.

Well MIB, I have gone back. I just don't go alone. I couldn't, not go back.  I have moved since then, which brings me to the question on why you said their attitude is different in the SE. We have moved to east Tennessee. My husband had an incident while he was fixing the gate to the goat pasture. He was hammering when he said he heard 4 knocks behind him. He judged it to be about 40 feet away. He said he froze for a moment then reached for his weapon in his waistband and slowly turned to see nothing.  He thought it was a person. That was his first thought. He went around the area and didn't see anyone. He said later that he realized it was the pattern he was hammering, 4 pounds at a time.  We have 18 acres mostly wooded. We have not had another incident, although in the spring and this fall  we have heard howling in the distance that sounds like An American werewolf in London when they were in the moors, LOL, and it's 10 times louder than the hounds in the area.

FarArcher, I call them silent runners. It's amazing how quietly they can run when they don't want to be detected.

Hi Sheri -

It may depend on your definition of the SE.  :)    If you have not, read Tal Branco's posts here and get his book.    It's mostly Alabama I think.   Also look into Tom Burnette's books.   I'm not certain but I think he's from North Carolina.   I've talked to people who research in the Ouachita Mountains and into  Texas as well.   The bigfoots there seem more inclined to push back when pushed.   One of my acquaintances tells of having hunting dogs killed, deer taken, etc when hunting the swamps.   He was vague but I think that was gulf coast.

The only place in the Pacific NW that I've hear a concentration of stories of "assertive" bigfoots is from the Mollalla corridor sort of ENE of Salem, OR.

They'll bluff here, push, try to herd people out of places, but I've called their bluff a couple times and they've stood down.   It's had a feel, sort of grumbling, grudging, "you're no fun if you won't run away."   So far so good.  

I don't know that I'd want to try that in the SE.   Maybe the people telling the stories are puffing them up to make an excuse for their fear, maybe their experience wasn't any different than mine, maybe it's just a difference in the witness' perspective, not the bigfoot behavior at all.   Maybe.   I'd be cautious as I explored that possibility with feet on the ground.  :)  

MIB

• Upvote 1

Don't let it freak you out too much.   I think respect and caution ("as if they're a primitive tribe with different values, ethics, etc") in your assumptions will take you a long way without much danger.  Proceed slowly and be willing to back out if things start to seem over your head.     Save being an idiot and pushing forward despite the warnings for me.  :)

I don't know if it is relevant, but one of my plans is, if things get too crazy, to just sit down.   From sitting you can't flee and you can't attack.  It shows a willingness to accept the situation as-is.

MIB 

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, MIB said:

The only place in the Pacific NW that I've hear a concentration of stories of "assertive" bigfoots is from the Mollalla corridor sort of ENE of Salem, OR.

The Molalla River Corridor use to be a good place to look for bigfoot. I don't know what happened to that area. Maybe to many bigfooters whooping, hollering, tree knocking, rock clacking, and leaving bags of taters out pushed the bigfoots away.

• Upvote 1

Guest Waggles

I have not had any sightings personally but talked to a guy on the train that may have seen a juvi. His description sounded pretty good, it moved too fast to be a bear covered like 30 feet in a second etc. So that is 2 people in one year I've talked to who (may) have had an encounter. How many of these go unreported is probably staggering.

SSR Team
On 1/5/2017 at 2:14 AM, MIB said:

The Darrington area in WA too..

FA - I have been surprised multiple times by the volumn of the noise they can make.  It cannot be described unless you hear it first hand and even then words do not due justice.  Their tree knocks are louder than humans can make, their howls travel for miles, and the one pure scream at me left me without words.  Its echo from across a lake was so loud I thought at first it was a friend.  Simply put, they just scale beyond anything we understand as a mammal.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NCBFr said:

FA - I have been surprised multiple times by the volumn of the noise they can make.  It cannot be described unless you hear it first hand and even then words do not due justice.  Their tree knocks are louder than humans can make, their howls travel for miles, and the one pure scream at me left me without words.  Its echo from across a lake was so loud I thought at first it was a friend.  Simply put, they just scale beyond anything we understand as a mammal.

Aye, I've heard one roar - he must have been a couple hundred feet above us - and that was enough to make my hair stand up.  We called it a night and uneasily crawled into our tents.  Never head a scream - just a long, curved roar.  If I'd been any closer, it probably would have parted my hair!

The scream was so loud and so bizarre my brain could not really process what was happening.   After about 30 seconds of listening to it I eventually settled on banshee as the best words I could use to describe it even though I have no idea what a banshee scream is suppose to sound like.   Honestly, I have heard nothing in real life or even in the movies other than maybe the Nazgul in Lord of The Rings comes close.

• Upvote 1