Are Bigfooters conspiracy theorists?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

A commonality of the reportage and discussion has a standard set of memes and tropes that go to the argument of paranoia and the resultant theory of a conspiracy.

These are: The government is hiding the truth. Then Bigfoot is clever and conspiring to remain undetected although they are apparently everywhere.

Bigfoot is conspiring to threaten, frighten, and kill us. Bigfoot kills us and makes us disappear and likes red meat, preferably elk or human, partial to back ribs.

Bigfoot is sneaky and hides, Bigfoot is a psychopath, Bigfoot conspires with other Bigfoot. The military has secret Bigfoot projects. Bigfoot is an alien and comes through portals that are hidden. Scientists are hiding the real knowledge, there is an academic conspiracy to deny Bigfoot, Other Big-footers, forest services folks, governments, and scientists are conspiring against the action or trying to horn in on the action. Hoaxers and tall tale tellers are conspiring.... You get the idea. 

So paranoid schizophrenia and lonely people with too much internet time oh their hands, perhaps they are exhibiting psychological symptoms?

Just a thought.

Ideas or responses?

I think most anyone who is seriously into conspiracy theories regarding bigfoot is into conspiracy theories regarding aliens, the government, Knights Templar, Loch Ness Monster, Unicorns ... and any other thing that crosses their imagination.   I don't think belief that bigfoot is real is a predictor of mental illness.   I think you might have pegged 5% of the population but you've insulted the other 95%.   Good job.   

I am indeed likely "crazy" in that I'll consider whatever comes by rather than scoffing first.  I have **looked**.   I haven't seen anything first-hand to suggest any kind of conspiracy or cover-up beyond a seemingly shared fear of ridicule.  That's peer pressure, hardly unique to bigfootery.   My brand of "crazy" comes from not having any peers so nobody has leverage to use to pressure me.

MIB

• Upvote 2

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

MIB, sorry you feel that way but thanks for the intelligent response.

Seems like BF would be a good receptor for projections of all kinds from the subconscious Id.

If you do not see a lot of conspiracy type of thinking I would be surprised.

It can be entertaining to engage those memes.

It seems that peaceful earth brothers are a much rarer meme as are ideas like a happy or enlightened Bigfoot.

The unknown is often experienced as threatening.

It seems that shooting or running away in terror are the most common responses.

Don't shoot the messenger comes to mind as well.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

1 hour ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

Seems like BF would be a good receptor for projections of all kinds from the subconscious Id.

If you do not see a lot of conspiracy type of thinking I would be surprised.

It seems like you missed my point.   :)    I will try again:  There are certainly nuts in the bigfoot world.   It draws them like flies to stink.    However, if you're around a while you'll see the same people show up in other areas of interest as well and they're just as far off the deep end in those contexts as they are in this one.    Stable people are stable people no matter what the interest is.   Unstable people are unstable people no matter what the interest is.

Certainly the conspiracy theorists are out there.   That's not a doubt.   What I meant to say is I see little evidence to support their claims that the conspiracies they perceive actually exist.   I suppose it is like the old saying "don't assign to malice what can be explained by ineptitude", just tweaked a little to fit the moment.

Some people in this world are fearful of being small and irrelevant, they seek significance beyond their capabilities which manifest as delusions of grandeur bordering on clinical narcissism.   I find this a difficult concept.  To me there's freedom to be found in NOT having the world revolve around me. 

MIB

• Upvote 2

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

MIB I know the world does not revolve around me because I know it revolves around Bigfoot. :P

I wonder if Bigfoot is a narcissist? Bigfoot psychoanalysis coming soon...

CMF, taking the wider picture into consideration I can see where some would read some conspiracy thinking into things. In the face of it there are two things going on. One is the pile of reports that keep coming in coupled with the knowers here on the Forum. The second is the extreme level of surveillance capability in North America from local hunters and trail cams all the way up to satellite imaging and other defense parameters such as border patrol and everything in between. What's in between those two or three facets of surveillance is everything and everybody else who goes into the wild and its perimeters either for data collection by various fields of study or those more in the area of recreation. And of course there are natural resource entities and the people and agencies that run and regulate them. Especially on the public land front.

So if one truly thinks Sasquatch is a creature that's out there then it would be a natural line to take that someone else must know about them. If the thing we call Bigfoot exists then it is nearly impossible to think it has escaped all of the eyes and ears that government has out there. In reality it makes no sense at all for that to be the case. None.

Does that make me a conspiracy person? Maybe, but just on the surveillance point alone it can only go two ways: The creature is out there, or it isn't. Conspiracy theories are called theories because they cannot be proved. It's a mantra here on the Forum but only a body will settle ALL of the issues, discussions, and debates on this subject. But for the sake of this thread the extreme mega-surveillance capabilities available and in use today would naturally push more toward someone in authority knowing of Sasquatch's existence. But again, only proof of existence will clear the air. Good topic though, thanks. 

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 2

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

hiflier

I think the body that will be provided may be mine when I run out of oomph and no one as of then having the BF corpus delectii.

Death is the ultimate conspiracy, depending.

To conceal ultimate reality from its own apprehension or because there is no ultimate reality to comprehend.

Should I throw in perhaps as well?

At any rate death conceals Bigfoot, story at 11:00

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Admin

For the most part, I believe they are not (there is enough stigma with just a "normal" sighting, without adding the conspiracy angle to it). However, the conspiracy path is very easy to get sidetracked onto and is highly visible when one does.

Still there are plenty of incidents that on the surface, makes one wonder though (those most notable to me are the ones that occur on military bases and some of the stuff that Doug Trapp wrote about Edwards AFB)....

I have no idea if any Federal branch is concealing any knowledge of these things, but it would be to their benefit if they actually had one or more to study and work with.  We all heard the story of David and Goliath - the Philistine army certainly found Goliath useful.  And he had two brothers - used by armies in similar manners - immense capability and ferocity.

The US Navy has worked with dolphins - mine detection, and even placing limpet mines on ships.

I can only imagine how useful some of these things would be, when they typical limit of 125 pounds of load a typical soldier can carry on his back - something that is probably several times stronger with greater capabilities - could really come in handy.  Give me a squad of these critters, and let me operate at night - and nothing would be safe.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
15 hours ago, FarArcher said:

I have no idea if any Federal branch is concealing any knowledge of these things, but it would be to their benefit if they actually had one or more to study and work with.  We all heard the story of David and Goliath - the Philistine army certainly found Goliath useful.  And he had two brothers - used by armies in similar manners - immense capability and ferocity.

The US Navy has worked with dolphins - mine detection, and even placing limpet mines on ships.

I can only imagine how useful some of these things would be, when they typical limit of 125 pounds of load a typical soldier can carry on his back - something that is probably several times stronger with greater capabilities - could really come in handy.  Give me a squad of these critters, and let me operate at night - and nothing would be safe.

You notice David beat Goliath.

Symbolically similar to the fate of Hominid Goliaths that have been superseded by the latent Sapience of man and illustrates the use of tools that kill at a distance versus brute force.

Of course modern man does not seem to have much luck with weapons versus the Northwestern Goliath.

Perhaps the camera is the new paradigm?

Regarding the original post. Simple answer: No.

I had an experience with two BF, up close and personal (8 feet). I saw them in good lighting (the brights of my headlights) and there was nothing ambiguous.

But I regard most conspiracy theory very much like false news. I regard it like a virus- someone who's into that- maybe you should stay away so you don't get infected.

As far as this little missive:

schizophrenia and lonely people with too much internet time oh their hands, perhaps they are exhibiting psychological symptoms?

No.

As far as humans are concerned, I go with governmental/corporate (lumber) conspiracy.  Remember, a conspiracy is just a plan with two or more people involved.  It's not that unusual.

We had someone at an expedition who I am pretty sure was spying on the group.  Part of the reason I say this, is that the area was real "squatchy".  We had a Class A, and clear orbs and all the assortment of sounds.  I'm pretty sure they did not want us to discover anything, and if we did discover something big they wanted advance notice.

Below is a communication I wrote to the leader of the expedition some months later:

I do not remember her name, but I can pass along her actions and maybe that will help. [In retrospect, I think her name was Cheryl, just in case she is reading this]

My "light bulb" did not go off until several months later.  It is my personal speculation but I will pass it along.  The following bullet points are not in any order, and some are stronger than others, but collectively it makes me wonder:
  • Though a first-timer, she did all she could to ingratiate herself with the "inner circle" and she stuck with those who would have had the best information throughout the expedition.  She stayed until the very end as if to not miss out on anything.
  • She was a first-timer who described herself to everyone as a skeptic.  I thought that was rather odd, but saying you are a skeptic would be the best way to get people to open up about what they have discovered as they try to convince you.  "What did we know, what did we discover?"  But few self-described "skeptics" are open-minded enough to actually go on an expedition.
  • She was all business and had little patience for small talk with newbies, though she was one herself.  She did not particularly seem to be enjoying herself and lightening up like everyone else.  Not having a bad time, just was all business, like it was work.
  • I remember specifically saying to her that the authorities "have to know BF exists and they are hiding it" and her reaction was to rudely end the conversation by abruptly walking away.
  • I remember she, herself, collected some evidence but it was weak. This was not consistent with the rather tough-minded skeptic she portrayed herself to be.  Could it be that she did this to distract our attention to a trail/area of her choosing?  Was this weak evidence designed to tamper down our enthusiasm? She did not seem like the type to let her imagination run away with her, nor did she seem like the type that sought personal attention.  [she found a very indistinct "footprint" in the dead of night.]
  • I remember checking when our Web board was up, and she did not participate on the board at all as required, even introductory stuff.  
  • I've been on three expeditions since and have not seen her on any of them.  I suppose she may have satisfied her skepticism, but maybe there was a special interest in this specific geographic area.
I emerged from the discourse learning that it is not uncommon at all for forest service type people to do what they can to distrupt expeditions and deceive members.  In this case, it was just a spy, except for the spurious evidence.  I suspect she reported back to a forest agency on behalf of vested interests in making sure to nip in the bud anything that could eventually lead to a new endagered species.

The moment a new species is verified - the proverbial crap hits the fan - six ways to next week.

Immediately, every state game commission will have demands made from both sides of the kill/no kill groups.  Logging permits will be affected.  Hunting preserves will be affected.  Public land leases will be affected.  Access to many areas will be adversely affected.  Federal and state funding initiatives will be pressed to "protect" a "new" endangered species.  Forestry services will have multiple demands placed on them.  Hunters will have new limitations placed on them.  Billions of dollars will be re-allocated for study, preservation, and access.

Then in the scientific community - things will go full retard - and you never go full retard.  Likely, the entire anthropological narrative will be scrapped, deconstructed, patched, and reconstructed - to allow for this "new" species.  This will take decades.  The field of anthropology will likely be turned upside down.  Numerous scientific disciplines will be called in to make determinations - some to "verify" preconceived theories and notions - some not - such as multiple DNA studies to determine where and when this "new" species fits into the flawed theory now in place.  There will be more new theories than the entire Wal-Mart chain has suppositories.  In the short term - scientific chaos.

Fights among disciplines.  Everyone from sociologists to anthropologists, to field biologists, to archaeologists, to climatologists, to paleo-biologists - all will demand immediate access to the body - thousands and thousands of immediate demands.  Going to be a circus.  Then, for every examination and subsequent determination - others will demand the same access to test, validate, and verify previous determinations.  Thousands of whizzing contests.

And that doesn't even begin to address the potential for another round between Darwinists and Creationists.  Currently, Darwinists do not allow for this species - but it is allowed by Creationists.  Someone is wrong.

Nope.  No reason at all for conspiring to keep this critter concealed and unidentified.

• Upvote 1

My own concern, and I'm not the only one, is that the creature will be concealed and so never unidentified permanently. I recently spoke to someone who went so far as to suggest that the total number of reports since the mid 2000's is disinformation in order to hide a program of eradication. Now THAT'S what I call a conspiracy theory. Could something like that ever be a reality? The idea isn't a new one