Sasquatch Adaptability and Survival

Lake County Bigfooot

BFF Patron

Just did some more current looking and found that even 18 inch speakers are only capable of sound reproduction down to 30HZ      Amplifiers have filters installed to prevent reproduction down into the "potentially damaging infrasound range"     That statement provokes some thought.   Damage to speakers, people,  glassware, what are they talking about?    I still think the best way to produce is it how the big animals do it.   Mechanically.   Anyone that wants to collaborate on a infrasound producer just contact me on PM.    We might be able to draw in BF some some distance.      Just drawing BF in certainly sounds better to me every year than hiking around trying to flush them out.  

Detection is an easier nut to crack.     Amazon now even carries the detector I have.    Infiltec  INFRA20  $345 on Amazon.     But unless you can provoke BF to use infrasound on demand I think it more useful to detect them moving around.    

Edited by SWWASAS

Wouldn't it be simpler to first deploy a network of infrasound sensors throughout a range?

The benefits of this are:

1.  You can identify if infrasound is actually in use.

2.  You can determine what calls are being made.

3.  You can, with multiple sensors, triangulate the infrasound signals and follow them over time, giving distance, direction, and speed; or simply pinpoint a stationary location from which they are emitted.

4.  You might be able to determine population density.

5.  You might be able to intuit the purpose and meaning of various calls, and perhaps even determine if such calls are used in conjunction with normally audible calls or wood knocks, etc.

6.  You could then use what you've learned to broadcast a meaningful call to any receptive bigfoot.

^^^Another problem when you don't have enough information on habits (although we have a surprising amount).  One could be sending a "get out of there!" signal...

2 hours ago, JDL said:

Wouldn't it be simpler to first deploy a network of infrasound sensors throughout a range?

I see the potential benefits.   However, I think it is impractical because the $$ costs are enormous.   I have looked at the same Infiltrec unit on Amazon as Randy.   The $345 per-unit price is too steep for most individuals (minus Wally or Adrian) if enough units are to be deployed.    We need to focus on stuff that can be done on a mom-n-pop recreational weekend warrior bigfooter's budget.   (IMHO, anyway.)    It would be interesting to own one, maybe two, for specific uses like setting one up in camp but I don't see trying to saturate the woods with them unless I win the lottery.

MIB

Just of interest, I know that Tornadoes give off long range low frequency sound, detectable from a 1000 miles. I read this in my storm spotter era, I do still storm chase on occasion but the driving wore me out as I got older. I think they discovered it in this college study where they had this really long tube that detected low frequency sounds and happened to hear the emission of a low frequency sound that was correlated to a distant tornado, so maybe that has to be on the infra sound enthusiasts radar as well.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/programs/infrasound/isnet/Infrasonic_Detection_of_Tornadoes.pdf

Some of this information might be useful to you in terms of building a infra sound rig, although it might be a bit dated.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot
adding info

Elephants can hear distant "footsteps" by picking up deep vibrations in their ear bones and through their feet.  

Male alligators can generate deep, infrasound rumblings to attract females that can be so powerful it makes the surface of the water dance and splash.

But with low frequencies being omnidirectional - I don't know how you tell if something's coming or going.  That's why subwoofer placement in a room doesn't matter.

BFF Patron

I have the Infiltec unit and the biggest problem with it is the software that it uses.   It is basically earthquake monitoring software.    The unit itself is the about the size of a large brick but the detector is an array of upside down pie plates connected by plastic tubing.    The unit has to drive a computer with a USB port.   The whole system is not what I would call easily portable.    I believe two of the units separated by hundreds of feet could be used in a camp situation and determine distance and range to an approaching bigfoot.   Just from their footsteps.      But the software just does not support that application.    A good programmer could probably develop software that would make it useful for detection of BF movement but there might be more cost effective methods.    Lets say that project is tackled.    You look on your computer and see that some heavy creature is moving towards your camp.   With two sensors you can determine range and bearing and see it come in.    Then it stops at the tree line probably peeking and watching you.     You don't know what if is.     Could be a curious human.     Could be a bear, although you could probably differentiate bipedal from quadrupedal footsteps with use.     Then what?   I you charge the suspected position you might get a glimpse in daytime but at night it would just slip away faster than you can advance on it.     And that charge could well get you killed too by a bear or BF.  .    For the cost of two sensor units,  the computer it needs to run them,  the programming costs,   you could get a FLIR system that might actually show you what is out in the woods. 

I don't think it is practical to try to track by infrasound.  It might be worth setting up a single unit to see if you could confirm the use of infrasound.    I wouldn't try to do it in the field with the currently available tech, I'd wait for improvements in portability or hope a curious habituator would help.

MIB

BFF Patron

If we could get a habituator to cooperate we would not need much gear at all.    Those few who claim to be habituators,   I have talked to,   seem very reluctant to deploy anything.   I  have even offered to pay for the equipment.    The reasons range from the gear will drive away the BF (which is reasonable) to I don't want to prove they exist.   I think some habituators have some sort of Stockholm syndrome thing going with their resident BF.     The humans are scared to death of the BF yet want to be liked and do not want to upset them.    Seems to me if you have a tribe of BF living on your property that you are afraid of,   what do you care if gear is deployed that drives them away?   

This is an interesting subject from a scientific angle because the deeper one gets into the mechanics of infrasound the more questions one has zoologically speaking. Artificially creating infrasound isn't hard beyond having the deep pockets to gather up the components. The pulsed wave is what is curious as in the mechanics at the source, i.e. the Sasquatch itself.  Look at the power needed for a Human to artificially create infrasound. And then look at the real world situations that create it. Earthquakes, hurricanes/tornadoes (wind) Large mammals like elephants and whales.

But that's about projection. Reception is a different matter. Regarding Sasquatch one would think that a Grizzly a the same size or larger would be generating infrasound as well? But in the case of Sasquatch there is a move to say that the infrasound is intentional. If so how is it accomplished? A sharp beat to a large chest cavity? Through vocal cords? I really do not think it is telepathic. Thoughts? and if a likely physical mechanism is possibly nailed down then what better way than to reproduce the mechanism?

I am talking simulating a sharp beat to an empty cavity either with an outlet for the air/sound or one where holding the air in an enclosure is utilized. The other might be forcing air through a simulation of vocal cords. It has to be a system that imitates either one or the other or a combination of the two. It sounds like the recorder you use, SWWASAS, would be fine to record any waves generated through testing different methods? I mean something as simple as a large drum will produce low tones but ut may also produce a wave in those tones that is in the infrasound range. Just thinking out loud here. 

Edited by hiflier

4 minutes ago, MIB said:

I don't think it is practical to try to track by infrasound.  It might be worth setting up a single unit to see if you could confirm the use of infrasound.    I wouldn't try to do it in the field with the currently available tech, I'd wait for improvements in portability or hope a curious habituator would help.

MIB

Mib

For this to really work it would have to be portable for sure. They would hit you first as a person then having one just sitting out picking up static. I think this infra sound s a defense thing. Every time I felt weird out in the bush was when I was in area's I should not have been. Low moan growl that can be felt but still make your hairs raise.

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

You look on your computer and see that some heavy creature is moving towards your camp.   With two sensors you can determine range and bearing and see it come in.    Then it stops at the tree line probably peeking and watching you.     You don't know what if is.     Could be a curious human.     Could be a bear, although you could probably differentiate bipedal from quadrupedal footsteps with use.     Then what?   I you charge the suspected position you might get a glimpse in daytime but at night it would just slip away faster than you can advance on it.     And that charge could well get you killed too by a bear or BF.  .    For the cost of two sensor units,  the computer it needs to run them,  the programming costs,   you could get a FLIR system that might actually show you what is out in the woods. 

We tried some thing like this here in Michigan with these military grade siemic sensors. We placed them around our camp site and then thermal used his thermal to pick up what ever came into camp. This was back in 2001 I think. But if you are trying to see if they are hitting you with infra sound , that is different from ground sensing. How many animals here in the US have infra sound or even use it? In the woods? Would this not be proof of some type of creature living in our wilderness?

The biggest problem with infrasound is determining what did it, since the range can be so great and natural events can produce it. The nature of it is omni directional. Here's an interesting article on air sacs in animals especially primates that could be used to produce it. 

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/10/04/mammal-pockets-sacs-pt-i/

4 hours ago, JDL said:

Put this in the hands of an electronic warfare officer and you'll get a workable solution.

Jdl

In my opinion we should try to learn these creatures behaviors ourselves. They always seem to some how warns us when we enter into a zone they do not want us to enter. A low growl is intense when you are by your self and is intimidating. But the effects after wards is what I would like to understand. If it is infra sound , then why do they use it on us? Do they understand that it makes us sick and this is why they use it?

But to understand this we need tools that can measure this and then we need to place our selves in the line of fire. I mean go out and find a bigfoot willing to low growl at you and try to measure what it is doing. If they us this low growl as defense then that's a step closer at understanding their behavior. If they wanted us dead I am pretty sure some of us would not be here right now. the highest sound tool I seen on the market that goes up to 20 hertz in sound wave and I am not sure that this is enough to measure what these guys might put out.