Anyone Care To Guess How Many People Search for Bigfoot?

FarArcher

My source is Mangani's bigfoot overlay for Google Earth.    I've had to do what I needed manually looking at report locations and dates. 

Admin

Dude, the SSR's initial dataset was from Mangani, we owe him big. But that was 5 years ago.

A lot of that data is faulty (from non-verifiable sources, etc.). We spent months cleaning it up as a base for the SSR and kept only the "quality" data (i.e. human read and classified reports).

You are a premium member and entitled to use the SSR. Just PM me and we'll get you access. :)

As far as migration is concerned, here in the southeast I've never seen or heard evidence of it. There is just simply no need for it. The deer doesn't migrate so why would the the Bigfoot. My most productive results come in the cold and cooler weather.

Now in the northwest and the real cold places around mountains out that way and into Canada, i think they would migrate when their food supply starts migrating. Personally I think the only reason they migrate at all is due to their food source. Otherwise, i don't think they migrate just because of the coldness as i doubt it bothers them. About the original question, the group me and some researchers I knew started is out in the actual woods a lot more than most. We are really serious about being outdoors as much as possible. Not just a couple days a month, i mean like every weekend, most week days, and sometimes group campouts that might last for a week straight in different places hundreds of miles apart. For instance, this past weekend two hardcore members drove over 200 miles to one of our favorite bigfoot  spots and camped out in freezing weather in a rain storm, camped wet all weekend just to locate a spot in a high remote game trail that has decent enough cell tower reception to install a solar powered live bigfoot cam I'm supplying. So yea some of us actually do stay in the woods alot and spend crap loads of money doing it. And besides, if we didn't spend so much time in the actual woods doing research for other people to discuss and banter about, we would turn into the people on forums like this with 10,000 posts.

• Upvote 1

Thousands, mostly part time and in groups, I'd guess. The data must be vast, but not "evenly distributed".

I guess it depends on what you mean by "looking". I look at the environment, which tells lots of stuff, I think I've seen traces of their passing. Mostly I'm technically listening, which I believe tells me a lot more. I don't call it research, but educational recreation, or a hobby. Have done that fairly regularly for over two years.

Earlier this month, I traveled to another state and did my thing in a number of locations. In one spot (which may be pretty well known in that area) I think I busted some "researchers". Around 11 pm, pouring rain, couple of guys talking and maybe loading a vehicle, remarking on a "big print". Pretty funny.

16 hours ago, gigantor said:

^^^ Source please.

The SSR does show seasonal "migration" by hundreds of miles. However, I agree not as much as conventional wisdom holds. I'd say closer to 150 mile radius max. I also agree that any "migration" is within a specific geographic area (i.e. mountain range, river drainage, canyon system,  etc)

I think we're dealing with a territorial nomad type group that forages where the food source is available.

WA-SC-Seasons.gif

Gigantor, not to cause trouble, but there is another interpretation of these sightings.

They're listed seasonally.  Coincidentally, there are more people venturing into more "winter difficult" terrain in Spring, lots more in Summer, less again in Fall, and very few in Winter.

My guess is that sightings are more a function of where observers are - as opposed to migration patterns.

But that's just me.

Admin

^^^ Oh, I agree 100%. But that also applies to the other hypothesis posted in this thread.

So you can't give a pass to one and not the others....

BTW, the gif I posted is seasonal, but if one had the time and drive, a weekly, monthly, yearly or whatever time period could be produced for any region using the SSR. The point is that the data is available, we're lacking analysts.

I'm not an analyst, not my thing. My mission is to provide the data in a format to facilitate analysis and I think the SSR does that. One day somebody with the skills to look at it will come forward, I hope...  we're just setting the table to make that possible.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, gigantor said:

The SSR does show seasonal "migration" by hundreds of miles. However, I agree not as much as conventional wisdom holds. I'd say closer to 150 mile radius max. I also agree that any "migration" is within a specific geographic area (i.e. mountain range, river drainage, canyon system,  etc)

I think we're dealing with a territorial nomad type group that forages where the food source is available.

Looking at the map you posted I agree about movement being more territorial rather than a migration. I am very familiar with that part of the southern Cascades of Washington. I noticed there are persistent sightings in various areas that keep showing up in every season. Some less than 20 miles apart. I also think the large variations between the numbers of summer and winter sightings is probably due to human access rather than large movements of sasquatch. The places in the GPNF that show those larger variations are limited access to humans during the winter due to both man made barriers (gates) and heavy snow fall during the winter months. There are lower elevation valleys throughout the area where elk and probably bigfoot winter but we have a hard time gaining access to them during the winter months. 

Gigantor, I just noticed Fararcher's post and your answer. I guess we were thinking along the same lines. 

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

The only way data will show a trend is if you know the sightings are for the same individual or group.

Then you can speculate as to migration patterns.

The reason the use tracking collars or use identifying features.

From tracks it seems pretty clear there is migration as the same individual is found in two very separate locations in a couple of cases I am aware of.

The Bindernagle presentation being a case in point.

Or perhaps it was a vacation or an emigration or exodus.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

The only way data will show a trend is if you know the sightings are for the same individual or group.

No, not really.   The key is finding the location where some bigfoot or other will pass at a predictable enough time that you can anticipate and "ambush".

It's the same scheme I used when I was guiding.   We never target a specific fish.   We identify places where fish are most probably going to be at the time we wish to fish and catch whichever ones are present when we get there.

To some degree, the reason the old time footers didn't find bigfoot was they were chasing reports of individuals who'd already left instead of positioning themselves in advance of the next bigfoot to come along.   Reactive instead of proactive.   They didn't have the data we do.   It's still spotty but in some places it is enough to make a heck of a start.

MIB

• Upvote 3

SSR Team

I don't think we are at a stage to even consider beginning to speculate on migration or not with these things, we don't know anywhere near enough about them.

However, i refer again to the Colorado Springs area in the early 2000's and the steady decreasing trend in reports in that general area in the early 00's to the increasing trend in reports to an area 80 or so miles to the west from that kind of time range, to the present day, which also coincided literally on top of both confirmed Elk and Deer migration routes.

This IMO however would be like Sasquatch emigration than migration in the very true sense of the word as it would be likely that these trends were caused by the human element, and the grown of Colorado Springs.

I'm with G, especially in places like the PNW, in that these things have a range of x amount of miles and would probably utilize different areas of it at different times of the year, as and when the food sources change.

If that constitutes migration then i guess we're good, but for example, 1,000 miles south in the winter to where they are in the summer, the numbers just aren't telling us that as we have winter reports in every WA geographical zone in the winter, throughout British Columbia and even pretty far north in Alaska in the winter too.

• Upvote 1

• masterbarber locked this topic