Galloping Gobi Grizzlies

Airdale

The linked article is from our local newspaper, the Helena Independent Record. I'd never heard of these critters before, and according to the article they weren't known to science until 1943, and there are only about 40 remaining.

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/outdoors/rarest-bear-montanan-tracks-gobi-grizzlies/article_cbb43025-0c86-5529-8a63-7fbca4d0ee2e.html

• 2 months later...
BFF Patron

Interesting that a grizzly sized animal can eek out an existence in a near barren part of the world like the Gobi especially since it does not eat anything very large.   Makes one wonder what the PHD on one of the bigfoot documentaries was smoking when she stated that there was not enough food in the Pacific North West to support an animal the size of bigfoot.    The PNW is like food paradise compared with the Gobi.  

Admin

Good article, plussed.

I wonder, from the standpoint of DNA, how close those are to the "apparent 40K year old polar bear" that Sykes found.

MIB

I hadn't thought about a possible connection to Sykes' "Yeti-bear". What first came to mind on reading the article was the scarcity of food issue vis-a-vis the argument that a creature the size of Sasquatch would not find sufficient sustenance to maintain a breeding population in any area of the U.S., including some of the semi-arid places in eastern Montana and the Dakotas where they have been reported. It also raises questions about what constitutes a "breeding population".

That part of the world is so challenging to penetrate even without the political complications, it makes me wonder what other interesting things remain undiscovered; perhaps there are remains of some ancestral squatch more closely related than Gigantopithecus Blackii. If anyone hasn't had the opportunity to read any of Roy Chapman Andrew's fascinating books about his expeditions in East Asia, I just found "Camps and Trails in China" and "Across Mongolian Plains" available for download at Project Gutenberg. The only one of his books I've found previously was a well worn copy of "On the Trail of Ancient Man" at the public library in Helena some 25 years ago that likely dated from shortly after the original publication in 1926.

Archived