One Thing Bothers Me About Bigfoot Tree Knocks

FarArcher

1 hour ago, Yuchi1 said:

ROTFLMSAO!!!

Is the "S" for "silly"? "Sorry"? Just curious. Deciphering the rest is easy- but, uh, the "S" is a bit mystery. 

22 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Yeah, I listened to some of those drumming recordings - you'd have thought that Ginger Baker was out there with a drumset and drumsticks.

Not sure what you mean, if sarcasm then okay, I guess I understand. However, this is a behavior that has been audio-captured all over the country. Here's a quote from bipedalist, who should know.

Yes, this I missed,  but the Navy cryptolinguist did not, the rate of rattling off of vocalizations such as Samurai chatter that changes into naturalistic bird calls, and then other differentially localized habituation vocals such as bird call vocals of diurnal birds used as stimuli that are then heard at 3 am.  and drumming arrhythmic tonalities all within several seconds, not minutes, is nonhuman.   Game changer, believe it or not!  

Fararcher, I'm with you on finding suitable sticks in the woods, it isn't easy. I was at the Squatch Fest 2017 on Saturday where David Ellis was talking about wood knocks. He records audio for the Olympic Project and suggested either claps or mouth pops. He does a clap in front of his mouth that makes a very loud pop. 

I've posted about other things that make creditable knocks, squirrels harvesting large fir cones in September for one. If a Pileated woodpecker is knocking, just wait a few minutes, they will usually start yakking and give themselves away. That being said I've also experienced knocks 3 different times and rock clacking once between two individuals. I instigated the first experience I had (it occurred in June) but didn't get an answer until I started heading in the direction of two other individuals that answered the 1st knocks. That 1st one was on a ridge above me 300 yards distant. The only thing between us were the big trees on the ridge. When it finished it threw something down through the trees, maybe it was whatever it had knocked with. That one knocked again further around the ridge when we went up to check it out. There were no cars in the area and the only access was the way we came in. The other knock was a double one during elk season in Sept. We were cow calling and heard it coming toward us from the ridge above. As soon as it saw my hunting partner about 80 yards away, it knocked twice then went totally silent. That one I found the dead four inch firs that it knocked against. I recorded various sticks and a elk femur I found nearby. The femur made the loudest knock. But when I played the recording back to my hunting partner he made the comment it was definitely louder than that. Of course the playback was on my small recorder speakers so really no comparison. But in both cases they seemed to be warnings that we were in the area. The last one was on a ridge above our camp on a rainy night in August. Actually close to where we heard the 1st knocks. But we were on the back side of that ridge this time. 

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
1 hour ago, BigTreeWalker said:

I've posted about other things that make creditable knocks, squirrels harvesting large fir cones in September for one.

Squirrels will shake branches and Jays will drop acorns down through branches.

The squirrel will grab branches and shakes. With the shaking and dropping in increased frequency it sounds like a large animal is coming.

The jays and squirrels even work together on this project.

The purpose is to spook you.

You are in their garden and hangout spots and they want you gone.

Little and big critters are masters of the psyche out game.

Not just big-footed ones.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Ahh, but we were talking about knocks. Not squirrels and birds rustling the bushes. You want to be spooked, stand under a tree that a barred owl is throwing one of its fits in. With a screech for good measure. :)

Owls can freak you out in the woods. They just don't hoot.

As for the knocks, from my experience I think it's a combination hand clapping and smacking a tree with something. Not at the same time, but one or the other. I've heard them do both on recorded audio. The sound signatures are very apparent. I know some people will say they might use rocks to smack against each other for knocks. Our tests have shown this simply isn't possible for several reasons as a way to communicate with others. Since no sticks/clubs is ever found I have no clue what they use, but they use something heavy. I also think they only tree knock for only one or two reasons, mainly herding animals during a group hunt and maybe telling the rest of the group there's intruders in the area. This only applies to a group situation, as a single Bigfoot has absolutely no reason to tree knock. I've put the notion out of my head that tree knocks are used for mating calls and courtship because it helps ease my mind when in the woods, as I have very long hair and even with a beard I do not want one to think I'm a bushy little female. There is nothing that sounds like a real tree knock, not woodpeckers, not acorns or pinecones falling, to confuse these sounds means someone is not properly paying attention to the audio or not yet able to properly identify audio sounds.

Edited by TritonTr196
Misspelling
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, TritonTr196 said:

Owls can freak you out in the woods. They just don't hoot.

As for the knocks, from my experience I think it's a combination hand clapping and smacking a tree with something. Not at the same time, but one or the other. I've heard them do both on recorded audio. The sound signatures are very apparent. I know some people will say they might use rocks to smack against each other for knocks. Our tests have shown this simply isn't possible for several reasons as a way to communicate with others. Since no sticks/clubs is ever found I have no clue what they use, but they use something heavy. I also think they only tree knock for only one or two reasons, mainly herding animals during a group hunt and maybe telling the rest of the group there's intruders in the area. This only applies to a group situation, as a single Bigfoot has absolutely no reason to tree knock. I've put the notion out of my head that tree knocks are used for mating calls and courtship because it helps ease my mind when in the woods, as I have very long hair and even with a beard I do not want one to think I'm a bushy little female. There is nothing that sounds like a real tree knock, not woodpeckers, not acorns or pinecones falling, to confuse these sounds means someone is not properly paying attention to the audio or not yet able to properly identify audio sounds.

Triton, you just made more sense than anyone yet on this matter - to me.

The statement that a single BF has NO reason to knock - makes perfect sense.  No reason at all - and all the narratives of knocks were obviously witnessed, or we wouldn't have heard about them - meaning at least one human was in the area to hear them.

This basic premise then begs the question - why would the presence of more than one BF need to knock?

Communication as a warning, or as I believed previously - to drive game.

During recon operations - to maintain strict noise discipline - even with radios, we would push the mic and release (break squelch) to respond that we got the message.  No need for spoken words.  A knock is not total silence - thus it's likely a vague to us - but distinct to them - a warning, or to assist in driving game.  It could be to startle and drive game, or to periodically let other hunting party drivers know where each member is.  A drive team member locator.  So one can tighten up, close up, or catch up.

That just makes sense.  Whether they use hand claps, chest thumps, mouth clicks - however - it's definitely a way to communicate without words.  We just don't know the code.

Edited by FarArcher
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FarArcher said:

The statement that a single BF has NO reason to knock - makes perfect sense.  No reason at all -

I would almost agree.  :)    Almost.     A few years ago I had a single knock that I think was meant for **me**.   

I can't tell the whole story, context requires dropping some names ... and I won't.   I was on an 4-wheeled "walk-about", hunting, fishing, exploring, and I'd camped along side a logging road in a very remote location.  The knock came about 7:30 - 7:45 am when I was packing to leave.   I'm pretty sure, given everything that'd happened, and the history of the location, that I'd had a sentry overnight, maybe both keeping an eye ON me and keeping an eye OVER me ... telling me it was leaving and from that point, I was on my own.   

MIB

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

In one personal encounter I had good evidence that at least in one instance a series of rapid knocks were a warning that I was there.    The BF nearly ran over me.   then into a crouch with a big thud then 15 seconds later made a series of 4 or 5 rapid knocks.     In the same encounter the nearby one had been whooping back and forth with another as they moved towards me.      So the whoops where positional communication between them because they were out of sight of each other and the knocks were warning.       Whether those behaviors are universal, regional, or just something worked out by two BF I cannot know.    But there could be little doubt to me at the time what was going on.    The only question I have about the encounter is if the BF were hunting me or had no idea I was there.     I had reversed direction of travel 3 times in about an hour.   I suspect they did not know where I was or were completely unaware I was in the area.     At the rate they were moving,  they could have come from some distance away and not even known I was in the area.    

BFF Patron
36 minutes ago, MIB said:

I would almost agree.  :)    Almost.     A few years ago I had a single knock that I think was meant for **me**.   

I can't tell the whole story, context requires dropping some names ... and I won't.   I was on an 4-wheeled "walk-about", hunting, fishing, exploring, and I'd camped along side a logging road in a very remote location.  The knock came about 7:30 - 7:45 am when I was packing to leave.   I'm pretty sure, given everything that'd happened, and the history of the location, that I'd had a sentry overnight, maybe both keeping an eye ON me and keeping an eye OVER me ... telling me it was leaving and from that point, I was on my own.   

MIB

Perhaps the sentry watching you in camp was just telling others in the area that you were getting ready to move and to watch out for you.    I can see them assigning a young male to watch someone like a sentry.    Satisfies their curiosity and gives allows them to develop skills around humans.     As I recall the sentry thing is common in certain apes.  Certainly man likely did that sentry thing for much if its history until they enlisted dogs for the duty.    Dogs work cheap.  

• 2 weeks later...
SSR Team

Comms for me for sure and like fararcher said, we just haven't worked out the code yet and highly likely never will.

Interesting that like my own thinking, it's being talked to drive game AND to possibly warn others of a human intruder.

Scary though when you take away the "AND" and just use the first potential theory..;)

The numbers in the PNW anyway suggest that these knock reports that are out there in databases as Sasquatch encounter reports, strongly favour times of night when the moon isn't visible, when the night is at its very darkest, which is of course when a predator will utilise a hunt more so because of it.

Off the top of my head from WA we are at around the 80% mark, give or take 5%,for knock reports at times of night when the moon isn't visible in both the Nort Cascades up to the Canadian Border, and the South Cacsades going down to the Columbia with the two zones beng split by I-90.

A few brief comments and opinions, all related to field work in the Southeastern States. 1) The assumption that Bigfoot has to "find" a knocking stick to respond to other's knocks is a little misleading and many times erroneous. They very often carry a club with them while hunting AND foraging around home sites on which outside dogs are kept.  They have been seen killing both pen raised and feral hogs, by the use of clubs. In WV and central AR they killed, and arranged the bodies of dogs in X formations, at night. At a location in AR, the home’s residents routinely heard their two dogs “booger barking” about midnight. After they took in another stray hunting dog, the dogs begin barking one night and one of the dogs – they think it was the stray – ran out from under the porch and aggressively confronted the intruder. When that dog charged, the other two also ran out. The residents immediately heard loud grunts, three loud thuds, and the sound of a dying dog after each thud. The man of the house got up immediately, grabbed his gun, but would not open the doors because of deep growling and hissing sounds near the front porch. Within a minute or two, he heard the sounds of fast bipedal foot falls run across the county road and into the edge of the Saline River bottoms. When he then went outside with his light, he found the bodies of the three, stacked one over another, each crosswise to the one below it, The bodies were stacked against the native rock pier blocks under one corner of the porch; the section of porch under which the dogs usually lay. Their heads had been crushed, and the owner said a club had left a groove across the top of their heads

I believe the late Bobbie Short may have posted on her forum a report from North Arkansas which I investigated and wrote about in which a young man saw a Bigfoot carrying a large club as it passed below his second story bedroom window on a bright moonlight night. The families’ outside dogs were huddled against the screen door between the front porch and living room. The BF was on the way to the family’s chicken pen.

2) During the hundreds of nights I have spent in BF hunting/foraging areas, I have NEVER heard ANY kind of bird or domestic fowl that could make a sound that could be mistaken for a Bigfoot signaling another of its kind using tree or rock knocks.

3) It definitely makes a difference what species of tree, and the type and condition of the limb used when BF or humans use tree knocks as far as the travel distance of the resultant sounds are concerned. The tree choice depends on the habitat of course. From blackjack oak in the mountains, to hollow cypress in the wetlands, or recently dead tree of any kind, it’s Bigfoot choice. For a creature that has the ability to break the top out of a good sized tree, a good solid four inch thick and four feet long knocking stick or club would literally be a “snap”.

• Upvote 3