One Thing Bothers Me About Bigfoot Tree Knocks

FarArcher

BFF Patron

Good question.    On the pecking order of signs of BF activity,   tree knocks are the easiest to hoax and hardest to know if they are real.  I put knocks at the bottom of the likelihood of real real list.   Because there is no way I know to tell the difference.      Next to the bottom would be breaks, bends, stacks and tepees.    If humans can do it they will and the researcher has to figure out if it can be done by humans and if so who did it.    At least a good tracker can examine a footprint and if he knows what he is doing, figure out if it was made by a stomper or a living foot.   Tying footprints to BF gets hard when they are human size or smaller.   You can never be sure if it was a goofy barefoot human or small BF with the smaller ones.  

16 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Good question.    On the pecking order of signs of BF activity,   tree knocks are the easiest to hoax and hardest to know if they are real.  I put knocks at the bottom of the likelihood of real real list.   Because there is no way I know to tell the difference.      Next to the bottom would be breaks, bends, stacks and tepees.    If humans can do it they will and the researcher has to figure out if it can be done by humans and if so who did it.    At least a good tracker can examine a footprint and if he knows what he is doing, figure out if it was made by a stomper or a living foot.   Tying footprints to BF gets hard when they are human size or smaller.   You can never be sure if it was a goofy barefoot human or small BF with the smaller ones.  

Thanks to finding bigfoot and the like its all too plausible to have two groups knocking at each other and thinking its real.

SSR Team
On 3/31/2017 at 4:52 PM, SWWASAS said:

Meldrum suggests they might be able to make a sound with their cheeks that sound like knocking.     He mentions large apes doing that.     Some humans can make a musical drumming sound to produce music with their cheeks.    Scale that up to BF size then the sound could be quite loud.   I think they probably use sticks near where the feel the need to knock rather than carry them around.     If they do not use clubs as weapons there is no need to carry them around.     Then again,  once humans started knocking,   we really do not know what is going on in the woods, or who is doing what.   

There's a tonne of human activity that can be attributed to these "knocks" etc that we assume is being done by Sasquatch.

Took a friend to the airport the other day and was talking about Madagascar where he sometimes spends time off the boats, he said that the locals had a kind of unwritten language that they use that involves pops and clicks of their mouths that he couldn't believe how much noise was actually generated from it.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that these "knocks" we hear aren't just wood on wood, and come from all sorts of actions like clasps and pops done physically by Sasquatches.

• Upvote 1

I did get a response once from my mouth pop. I did it 3 times quick changing the pitch and got an immediate response from the other side of hill. So who knows....

Admin

It's not plausible to attribute a good knock to a mouth popping sound. The volume is just not there.

Most of the interesting knocks may not have been made by a BF, but I'm sure they weren't made by a cheek popping sound. Its just not loud enough.

• Upvote 1

Admin

yup, take some of the knocks we've recorded for example. It could certainly be some human just messing around, even hoaxing us. But I'm certain that ain't a cheek popping sound...

Knocks With One Loud One - amped.mp3

12 hours ago, gigantor said:

yup, take some of the knocks we've recorded for example. It could certainly be some human just messing around, even hoaxing us. But I'm certain that ain't a cheek popping sound...

Knocks With One Loud One - amped.mp3

Yeah  that definitely sounds like wood being hit together .

Can I ask you what you use for a recording device ? Also I would like to ask you or any other of the more experienced members if you leave

a recording device out for days or weeks at a time like you would a trail cam? If so can you recommended one to buy that would have a long battery life and weather proof .

Thanks

Edited by 7.62

Admin

Welcome to the BFF 7.62.

I have a thread in the premium section with a parts list for my setup. I leave it recording continuously until the memory card gets full, it's the limiting factor at this time. It records about 350 hours.

There is also a discussion "In The Field" forum about this, with people posting their excellent recording contraptions  --> here.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:44 PM, gigantor said:

Interesting SY....   could there be somebody hoaxing you?

I kinda doubt anyone knew our recorders were planted where they were, but it was certainly a place where other people might go to hang out at night, so we monitor vehicle traffic into and out of that place.  The shooters were either just popping some shots off or responding to other shots or knocks. I hear a few sounds that I think are knocks and not a shooter.  

Admin

I hears some knocks too.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:35 PM, FarArcher said:

So we're all familiar with the reports and recordings of what's been termed, "tree knocking."

I'm unaware of reports in North America of these critters walking around with selected sticks that they would need to make good knocks on trees - and yet - the sounds of the tree knocking appear to be relatively crisp and consistent.  A sharp, crisp knock.

You woodsmen know that if you were at any random location in the woods or forests, and heard a "knock," and wished to respond in a timely manner, you'd need to be able to lay at hand a solid, relatively dry piece of wood.  And yet, most of the stuff laying around is rotten or half-rotten, long, and unwieldy in its natural form.  Sounds are not heard of cracking a longer limb to whack against a tree - just a fairly quick, crisp, sharp knock.

I know how we humans would create knocks, but does anyone else question how these knocks may be made?  Is there another method I'm not aware of - to make that sound - one that would allow a reply where there's a fairly low percentage of suitable wood at hand?

Ever thought about that?

Yeah many of us have given much thought to this, but I'm like most who think they must have a stick with them, at least when they are in the act of prowling at night. It would have other uses like knocking spider webs out of the way or clobbering prey. perhaps even like how a blind person might use it. Anyways, here's another file from my collection. I heard these two live, and they had that familiar ring of wood on wood. The response took eleven seconds, and before we even looked for a piece of wood to respond. The two knocks did seem to come from two different locations and they were slightly different in sound and volume.

2-9-08-2-knocks.wav

22 hours ago, gigantor said:

It's not plausible to attribute a good knock to a mouth popping sound. The volume is just not there.

Most of the interesting knocks may not have been made by a BF, but I'm sure they weren't made by a cheek popping sound. Its just not loud enough.

22 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

It's wishful thinking. It's confirmation bias.

That's funny because I don't recall either one of you being there at the time. I'm just telling what happened. Further more neither one of you know exactly how I do it or how loud it actually is.

Inc1, luv ya, mean it, but clean up your own backyard first.

BFF Patron
On 4/18/2017 at 7:40 PM, southernyahoo said:

Yeah many of us have given much thought to this, but I'm like most who think they must have a stick with them, at least when they are in the act of prowling at night. It would have other uses like knocking spider webs out of the way or clobbering prey. perhaps even like how a blind person might use it. Anyways, here's another file from my collection. I heard these two live, and they had that familiar ring of wood on wood. The response took eleven seconds, and before we even looked for a piece of wood to respond. The two knocks did seem to come from two different locations and they were slightly different in sound and volume.

2-9-08-2-knocks.wav

Where I live, for BF to carry around a stick to knock with since it might have need for it in the future is a real stretch.    But it may be different in less forested regions.    But here most of the forest is full of down wood and limbs that are very handy.       Every time the winds blows much,   the supply is replenished, which I am painfully aware of since I have to remove those sort of limbs from my own yard.     I have several 100+ feet Douglas Fir trees on my property.       I don't think mankind carried around sticks or poles until he started using them for clubs or sharpening them or putting spear points on them and turned them into a tool.  Once you take the time to make a tool you really want to keep it so you don't have to do that work again.        I don't really think we could expect BF to behave much differently.        If we are seeing BF carrying around poles or sticks,  are we missing something in their behavior?       Perhaps they do use tools in certain circumstances and we have simply not observed it enough to know.  

I think they would use a stick like a club mostly. It does take some time in my area to find a solid one for knocking with, and even longer in the dark, so it makes sense that if we are hearing wood on wood we have an animal that can grasp and swing a stick within seconds of hearing a wood knock from another location.  I think they do move about in small groups and knocking would help them keep contact with each other while hunting if they had to separate. I remember one person years ago that posted they had seen a BF wood knock and it was trying to flush an animal out of a tree which it was successful in doing. So my theory would be that wood knocking has multiple purposes in rudimentary communication , locating each other , and flushing prey.