What Would It Cost To Get A Voucher Specimen

hiflier

My best idea is to start a bounty/reward.  It starts at 10 million for the first year, decreasing every year by 1 million.  When we hit zero the money is off the table. The bounty starts off big enough to draw in a number of types like big game hunters, military types, both single and possibly groups, new scientist, etc etc...  the decreasing reward is intended to invite a sense of urgency to produce results.  I also think an inherent competition will develop in the participants if it's a "bounty" or "reward" that is up for grabs.  

Of course this is not plausible for the liability reasons alone amongst other reasons I'm sure I haven't even thought of in the last five minutes when this idea developed.  

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
1 minute ago, Twist said:

My best idea is to start a bounty/reward

I need the money up front to fund my quest.

So cart before the horse.

Better fund it through a reality show and then you have a product if you come up empty to recoup your investment.

Teh problem is that the directores hijack your project since it's there money and wind up making finding Bigfoot absent the Bigfoot with Bubba in the back..

11 minutes ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

Track from the air in winter

Let me know when you get that balloon chair going ;) 

5 minutes ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

I need the money up front to fund my quest.

So cart before the horse.

Better fund it through a reality show and then you have a product if you come up empty to recoup your investment.

Teh problem is that the directores hijack your project since it's there money and wind up making finding Bigfoot absent the Bigfoot with Bubba in the back..

Love it.

In my scenario it's some private corp or independently wealthy person that's simply sets the guidelines and has the money in some sort of trust or other verifiable means.  

Dont have the means to fund yourself, don't play.  The money as set by the rules is on the table if/when you land the body on my slab.  

6 minutes ago, Twist said:

In my scenario it's some private corp or independently wealthy person that's simply sets the guidelines and has the money in some sort of trust or other verifiable means.  

Dont have the means to fund yourself, don't play.  The money as set by the rules is on the table if/when you land the body on my slab.  

Shucks, there goes my scheming rip-off idea. (CURSES! Foiled again!)

OK, shall we fast forward some? Let's say the drive has been going well and everyone has succeeded in keeping the line together around all obstacles and is now on the downward slope of a mountain and heading towards the line of trucks waiting on the road. It's now two weeks into the project and this last push will be the most important of all and everyone knows it. There's been no sign of Sasquatch but since no one was trying to be stealthy it is assumed the noise and everyone's presence kept the creature well forward of the push.

Down on the road after two weeks of close vigilance everyone is get more and more anxious as news of where the drivers are gets to them. The drivers are only a couple of miles inside the tree line and moving quicker now that it's mostly downhill. Everyone is silent and watchful and then it happens. A tall hairy biped exits the forest in plain view about 200 yards away. Guy in a suit? Two guys in suits? Hoaxers? They've certainly had time to buy or rent costumes after all. Someone in a suit at 200 yards" The snipers have it in their scopes. Is it real? Not real? Are all the stories now true? Do they shoot? Not shoot? wait a bit longer?

The question of whether to shoot or not will forever remain. Why? Because I don't think anyone would dare to pull the trigger. So far this thread has been somewhat hypothetical. But here is where it get a bit dicey. Now shooting a Bigfoot or not shooting a Bigfoot is one thing to debate. But a much more serious discussion is in order before the question can even be asked. Is it a Human in a suit? That's number one. Denialist will say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FIRE THAT GUN! Even those that want a body on a slab like myself wouldn't want anyone to take the risk of killing a Human Being in that suit- even a stupid Human. So where does it leave us?

Simple. Ya got two to four months to find a dead one or a skeleton before Nature takes it away, which brings things back to the point of this thread. No one has to shoot anything and risk the unthinkable. If anything there is even more reason now to find an already deceased specimen. It will stop everyone in their tracks who is out to put a bullet in one. The reason for the bullet is that a dead one hasn't been found yet. See how that works? :) 

SSR Team

H there is a specific area in Grays Harbor County that has a hugely disproportionate % of reports in Spring as opposed to other times of year or what the Olympic Peninsula in the main has.

What's doubly interesting about that is that a homeowner eyewitness within that specific area went on a radio show saying how she believed that April/May were the time of year that it seemed that different animals came in to the area and that the vocalizations were different and more intense.

She wasn't aware of the numbers.

When you've got your $30m together, let's talk..;)

You'll be the first. Research has it rewards as you know. Choosing Grays Harbor for this thread wasn't just a shot in the dark/grab any county type of thing. It's truly about the data which translates into location, frequency, elevation, season, terrain, average weather/temperature, and a lot of other factors we all know about and understand. Grays Harbor would seem the best candidate with "somewhere" along Rt. 101 being the western barrier of interest. Be that as it may- no 30 million means me in Maine looking for remains this Spring.

An', ayuh, I ain't gettin' any yungah.

• Upvote 1

Ready to move on to something else that might be an avenue to look into. Let's forget the $30,000,000 for now and paying people to get involved. I'm thinking instead about an all volunteer contingent of about the same size.  This idea can start off with how many or what percentage of Washingtonians think there is a Sasquatch alive and well an roaming around the state? I've seen different figures. Some as high as 35%. I read where 12% of Seattle residents under the age of 35 claim to have seen one.

So what about an all volunteer group of a thousand people? Set up a time and a place to meet and go over the program and get everyone on the same page. It's possible none who work in or for a resource industry would want to risk their employment by being a part of the exercise. Even if they think Sasquatch is real or have seen it they would know what the risk of proof of existence could possibly pose to jobs. Saying ,"I helped catch Bigfoot" doesn't put food on the table or pay a mortgage . Offering the group the plan that everyone would own the creature if caught and could then as a group sell it to science's highest bidder could fail in any number of ways but it is a thought. A little incentive to help decide to get on board? Who would be the first link in the chain of custody then?

If someone doesn't have $30,000,000 dollars in their sock drawer then what are the alternatives?

Unless this group of drivers were basically shoulder to shoulder there's a good chance they could miss any number of creatures. How would you contend with the potential for one to run sufficiently ahead  of  the group, climb up a tree and either watch you pass by or get by you jumping through the canopy? But of even more concern, unless/even if every person present is HEAVILY armed what's to stop the sasquatch, once it sees the line of cars/hunters on the road from turning around and allowing through the line at what ever point of which it sees fit? or simply circumnavigating the whole lot when they sleep? just a couple thoughts...

• Upvote 1

If it's done by a grassroots movement just a lot of blood, sweat and tears. I started project Grendel for this very reason.

Washington state outlawed hound hunting for cougar several years ago. So how do they still meet harvest number goals for cougar? They sell a "big game package" to deer and elk hunters which includes a cougar tag. The chances of encountering a cougar in the wild without hounds is extremely low.

But when tens of thousands of deer and elk hunters hit the woods each year to target ungulates? Some of them are going to stumble upon cougar, they have a tag and they harvest a small number.

Management wise it's horrible, houndsmen can look at treed cats and let smaller females and kittens go only selecting toms to harvest. While a deer hunter is just going to shoot the first cougar he sees. Because he most likely will never get another opportunity in a life time to do so.

But the numbers game does work. If enough people commit to packing a big bore rifle with them every time they go into the woods to recreate? Somebody, somewhere at some point in their lives? Is going to get lucky. And we will have a specimen.

55 minutes ago, guyzonthropus said:

Unless this group of drivers were basically shoulder to shoulder there's a good chance they could miss any number of creatures. How would you contend with the potential for one to run sufficiently ahead  of  the group, climb up a tree and either watch you pass by or get by you jumping through the canopy? But of even more concern, unless/even if every person present is HEAVILY armed what's to stop the sasquatch, once it sees the line of cars/hunters on the road from turning around and allowing through the line at what ever point of which it sees fit? or simply circumnavigating the whole lot when they sleep? just a couple thoughts...

You have the right questions.  

A narrative of a Native American when she was a girl.  Was near a creek, heard shooting, and a crashing running in her direction.  She pulled back into the brush and here came a BF who appeared to be wounded.  He went down the creek wall, lay down, and pulled leaves over himself.  The noise of men that had been chasing got closer, and since at that time a young Native American girl alone was not safe, she left and went home.

I've had enemy all around me, and even step between my head and outstretched hand - and missed me.  Why?  I wore some decent camo, I was motionless, and most people look over terrain - and don't properly scan in detail.  If you had 10,000 people, maybe twenty would have the eye for detail required.

I don't believe for a moment this is a dumb animal you can drive.  

And assume one discovered a BF in hiding.  Who's going to catch it it it takes off?  Maybe it decides to go "through" the thin line full bore.  Maybe someone gets hurt.  Out of a hundred hunters - I may find one with the skills and careful enough to actually hunt with.  The rest - no thanks.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that's what's I was talking about, it should have read"plowing" through rather than "allowing"......personally I can't see one getting corralled so easily, and if one or more(!) found themselves in such a situation, I doubt they'll just sit down  and wait to be restrained for transport to the institute. But rather, I'd bet they'd take out what and who ever they feel they need to in order to effect their escape...an angry one would be bad enough, but one sensing its trapped by a swarm of dwarves? Gonna get ugly...

SSR Team
11 hours ago, FarArcher said:

You have the right questions.  

A narrative of a Native American when she was a girl.  Was near a creek, heard shooting, and a crashing running in her direction.  She pulled back into the brush and here came a BF who appeared to be wounded.  He went down the creek wall, lay down, and pulled leaves over himself.  The noise of men that had been chasing got closer, and since at that time a young Native American girl alone was not safe, she left and went home.

I've had enemy all around me, and even step between my head and outstretched hand - and missed me.  Why?  I wore some decent camo, I was motionless, and most people look over terrain - and don't properly scan in detail.  If you had 10,000 people, maybe twenty would have the eye for detail required.

I don't believe for a moment this is a dumb animal you can drive.  

And assume one discovered a BF in hiding.  Who's going to catch it it it takes off?  Maybe it decides to go "through" the thin line full bore.  Maybe someone gets hurt.  Out of a hundred hunters - I may find one with the skills and careful enough to actually hunt with.  The rest - no thanks.

Good post FA.

We are all falling in to the trap again of thinking we are the number 1 animal in the forest, when we are not.

To reach the objective within this subject, my belief is that mis-direction and/or a fake play is needed.

Edited by BobbyO
  • Upvote 1