Bigfoot Arial Recon

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

With drones, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), the best way to acquire a recon target and stay on target and gather information such as convincing videos may well come from the air.

I've done some research on the subject and thought I would post up likely candidates for further consideration as they tickle my interest.

Here is my first, do yourself a favor and watch the video.

Really interesting stuff.

Odd they use a parachute for landing though that may have just been for fully autonomous mode.

I don't know anything about thermal imaging. What sort of range could a thermal imaging camera operate at? Would the 200m altitude be a problem? Also, I was wondering if a thermal camera was significantly heavier than a standard camera. If so that could affect range and handling.

Are there any FCC restrictions (I'm not in the USA) around operating a civilian drone at night?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
1 hour ago, Busker said:

Really interesting stuff.

Odd they use a parachute for landing though that may have just been for fully autonomous mode.

I don't know anything about thermal imaging. What sort of range could a thermal imaging camera operate at? Would the 200m altitude be a problem? Also, I was wondering if a thermal camera was significantly heavier than a standard camera. If so that could affect range and handling.

Are there any FCC restrictions (I'm not in the USA) around operating a civilian drone at night?

The parachute is probably due to restrictions and problems with short wave communication. You need to land and can't use the GPS or radio to control or return to base function. The military and FAA probably don't like long range radio control of Aircraft (the exception being military and or commercial) for obvious though frustrating reasons. So parachute saves your expensive UAV aircraft when signal is blocked by terrain, distance, or interference. I'm think if you spend the money you would want a good high resolution video recorder suitable for military type recon or a reflectance type mapping system. Possible you could mount a FLEER but but if a choice must be and and cost is a consideration... (perhaps both at the same time?) They have multiple camera package configuration on their website. Perhaps you could interchange the two and rotate missions.

I contacted the manufacturer to try to get some info. Suppose I could try crowd funding and perhaps some people here premiere the system somewhere over Cali, OR, or WA? I could come and visit. Perhaps rent per mission to interested groups? 

I can post up more info as it (if) comes available.

I was asking about camera systems and cost.

Admin
1 hour ago, Busker said:

What sort of range could a thermal imaging camera operate at?

Would the 200m altitude be a problem?

Also, I was wondering if a thermal camera was significantly heavier than a standard camera. If so that could affect range and handling.

One (not you Busker, ITAR restricted item, sorry) can purchase thermal imaging rifle scopes on Amazon, so they are not that uncommon anymore (and relatively inexpensive). An example:

https://www.amazon.com/Armasight-3-12x42-Thermal-Imaging-Weapon/dp/B00EHL1930/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1484583344&sr=8-8&keywords=thermal+rifle+scope

In answer to your questions:

1) It depends on the system. Larger ones can see up in terms of kilometers or tens of kilometers. A smaller, less expensive one should have no problems with a one or two kilometer range.

2) No.

3) Not really, some older models require special cooling resources, but a lot of the ones make today do not.

4) Not that I am aware of, as long as you do not fly it in a restricted airspace.

A thermal system will be much more expensive than a regular camera. However, if one can afford the example above (~$160K+), the cost of a thermal system will not be an issue.

Please note that thermal systems are not as clear as regular cameras so the images received will not be the quality of your typical cell phone camera. However, it will be clear enough to identify whatever is on the screen (provided conditions and range are acceptable of course).

By the way CM, I have long been a proponent of using a balloon tethered over a potential hotspot for long duration surveillance and monitoring. Put it up 1000 meters or so and just let it take in whatever for a week or two (or more) at a time. The big problem with this method is battery life, so if a solar solution could be found, that could significantly increase the mission duration.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
6 hours ago, VAfooter said:

By the way CM, I have long been a proponent of using a balloon tethered over a potential hotspot for long duration surveillance and monitoring. Put it up 1000 meters or so and just let it take in whatever for a week or two (or more) at a time. The big problem with this method is battery life, so if a solar solution could be found, that could significantly increase the mission duration.

Seems like the best solution. You can just paste on some solar fabric material is my guess.

I wonder if you have to involve the FAA in that instance.

I like the idea of drifting camera platforms over mountain canyons and valleys using a hydrogen balloon.

Say the higher altitude winds where at 5 or so miles an hour and you had a chase vehicle on the far side.

Cheaper would be with handheld camera and HDD data acquisition with the lawn chair and balloons.

The spec on the lawn chair contraption has been well worked out.

Other ideas would be helicopter or glider rental for the day.

Or hike up a mountain with a good field of view on promising terrain and a telescope with a camera attachment.

Admin

One potential pain of the balloon idea is that if it is high enough (not sure what the max is), it has to be lighted for aircraft collision avoidance. Which brings in the FAA and who knows who else to regulate. Then it gets sticky. If you keep it below the max height, then I am not sure it can cover a large enough area.

Good luck with the balloons and lawn chair gig, let me know how it goes.....   :wink:

http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html

I don't care how bad I want to get some good footage of bigfoot. Not about to go flying around on a one seater air balloon or hang glider, ect. Besides not being safe, seems like it would be hard to keep the ice in my cup. Now if I could get my hands on one of those nifty James Bond flying jet backpacks, I'd be all over that.

A balloon in any configuration goes where the wind carries you.  I recall numerous times that the wind at 300' may follow an azimuth of ten degrees, and at 400' follow an azimuth of 190 degress.  I could fly up a road, gain altitude and fly back.  But most times, it was pretty much in one direction for at least an hour, and then as things heated up, winds may change.

Ran out of wind - it went completely dead up to 3,000' - over a national forest.  As fuel levels dropped, so did I and stayed just above the trees until the fuel ran out, and went down in the forest.  That happens too.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
15 hours ago, TritonTr196 said:

I don't care how bad I want to get some good footage of bigfoot. Not about to go flying around on a one seater air balloon or hang glider, ect. Besides not being safe, seems like it would be hard to keep the ice in my cup. Now if I could get my hands on one of those nifty James Bond flying jet backpacks, I'd be all over that.

They have something a lot better now.

Bigfoot didn't may not stand a chance...

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Admin
3 hours ago, FarArcher said:

A balloon in any configuration goes where the wind carries you.

Exactly the reason I would recommend a tethered configuration and not go free range....