Do you see something weird in this pic

NCBFr

BFF Patron

NCBFr   When I see a dog in a photo staring off into the distance,   I always wonder what it is looking at.

MIB when I blow up the log across the stream,   I see that the humanoid vertical shape just beyond the log.     However while the head is good and round,   the body has straight sides,  suggesting a stump.    Arms, even hanging down would form a rounder silhouette.    If hands were placed on the log, then one would think that there would be some amount of elbow bend, rounding out the silhouette too.     However to just to the right of that,  behind a bush, there is a larger dark humanoid shaped figure.     That behind the bush behavior would be typical of a BF nearly caught in the open.     However, I cannot resolve details to know what either figure is.      At one end of the possibilities,  one or both could be a stump.    However the sun is off to the right, making the larger figure behind the bush,  unlikely to be shadows.   It has to be a physical object.      At the other end of possibilities,   you could have a BF in the stream and a second larger one hiding behind the bush.   

One could say return to the same location and take another picture.    I have done that the next day and the object was still there.    However, a week later it was gone.    What can I deduce from that?   

Edited by SWWASAS

HF - I fox exiting the den is a real possibility.  I kjnow for a fact we have a local one as it woke me up a few nights ago screaming at something.

MIB - I swear I have seen that photo before.  I even new exactly where to look for the BF outline.  Can you give us the back story on it

MIB,

Looks like two upright figures/shadows, but with the sticks an branches, I'd go optical illusion caused by the brush, shadows, etc..

Pat...

NCBFr,

Thanks for posting the clear photos taken with a different camera.  When I look at the close-up, I noticed that there's a (mostly covered) rock about where the object would be in the trail cam.  Is it possible that some trick of light, combined with the settings on the trail cam is causing this rock to look like a low-crawling bigfoot?

Again, the comp pictures were appreciated and do a good job of capturing the area in question. 

That's a great picture, MIB. When I zoom in, it sure appears as if there's a head and face on that 'stump'. 

And I'm always curious, too, when I see dogs looking off into the woods so intently.

And that's really interesting, that there's a den there.

Edited by LeafTalker

So, the picture I posted ... yes, both stumps / log ends.   The wood stays damp, thus charcoal-gray instead of white, because of the spray coming off the little rapids.   Parts are covered with almost black bark which creates the appearance of spots that could be face features.   Finally, the sun broken by the mixed shadow of overhead trees really adds to the appearance they are something more than they are.    

I did not see those "shapes" when I was taking the pictures.   I only saw them when I was reviewing pictures later.   They were interesting enough that I had to go back despite it being about a 5 hour round trip drive.

Pareidolia is not an inherently bad thing, it's how our brains work to process images comparing the inputs from the environment to "saved keys".   It's how we knew the thing behind a bush was a tiger without seeing the whole thing, we see enough to reconstruct the pattern and run for our lives.   From my perspective as a computer geek, the image processing our brain does is fascinating.   Unfortunately, as I age I slow down ... I can actually see the processes occurring that used to be so fast they seemed sub-instinctual.     That dang tiger might get me yet.

MIB

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MIB said:

That dang tiger might get me yet.

LOL, kinda says it all for me too. Ain't gittin' no yunga. One of these days I won't be able to run faster than the slowest person in the group:O

While lighting plays a big role, I do think there is something there.  I was looking at all the pics again last night and I see elements of deer, bear, and BF.  The most likely result is deer since we see them every day.  The object is too big for a fox and it still could be coyote.  We (my family) average about 1 BF encounter in the area every other year but curiously all in the winter and I do not believe any the year of the photo.  We have never had a bear encounter but one neighbor believes he saw one once in his yard.  So with that said, I am going deer.  Here is the final pic I plan on posting in this thread as it is time to move on.  Thank you for your feedback.

what is it closeup.png

7 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

We (my family) average about 1 BF encounter in the area every other year but curiously all in the winter....

When you say "encounter" what specifically might that entail? And being winter have you seen any track evidence in snow? Also being winter, is there an attraction to something like perhaps a warmer boggy area or simply getting away from heavier snow areas? Have there been odd deer kills or any missing pets or livestock reported in winter? Just trying to form a picture of the area (pun intended ;) ).

BFF Patron

I started to post my BF classification system in response to the pictures posted but will suffice to say that it is only likely that a picture taken is something unique if you hear something move or see something move then take a picture.    Even that has no guarantee but just increases the likelihood something is really there.      If we just randomly take pictures of the woods you get all kinds of pictures which your mind creates things of interest looking at the pictures.      Interestingly my bathroom linoleum patterns causes my mind to do the same thing.     I see a lot of BF faces in there at times.    The skeptics will love this but I guess you could say I have BF on the brain.   

• Upvote 1

That's the pattern recognition algorithm at work.    We are hardwired to take pieces of an image and compare those pieces to known patterns even before we have the whole image processed.  As we have time to shift focus and compare more "spots" in the image, the comparison improves ... it's a search heuristic / pattern match.   The scoftics have nothing to say about that.   Balance, though:  if, after the whole image is processed, we continue to jump to bogus conclusions, we're giving them legitimate grounds to scoff.    At a point in the process, pattern recognition should stop and critical thinking take over.    If you fail to do that ... you FAIL to do that.

Simple.  Blunt.   Absolutely, unavoidably, correct.

MIB

As a child hunting I learned real quick that as night became day, deer would appear all over place, and you would strain to see movement. Your eyes trying to tease a deer out of the forest. But as the sun rose higher each deer would turn into a bush, a stump or a rock. Movement was key in revealing a living animal. At some point they move.

• Upvote 3

NCBFr,

I put your images together roughly, to give you a rough size comparison, based it on the bend in that one tree(green dot is roughly 1/2 way down from the bend). Myself, still don't see anythin', sorry.

Pat...

NCBFr images.png