How widely do you share findings?

Old Dog

I have been wondering how widely folks here share their findings with others.  Do you share universally? Within a formal research group?  Perhaps with only a select few?  Or possibly not at all.

I'm part of a small, very, very close knit group doing research on Sasquatch, among other things, and we have kept all of our findings within that group.  We start back up on the Sasquatch front this May, and are debating if we should share our findings more widely.  We have shown some things to Meldrum, but not publicly.   I'm wondering if anyone has shared their findings, how widely and with what results.  I have resisted releasing findings on forums because it always seems to devolve into chaos over theories and personalities.  Anything anyone would like to share about their experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Our group shares stuff in every way you mentioned. That is, what we decide to make public. Not like we have any evidence any better than any other person or group, but we don't share the usual stuff like locations, private campouts, names, ect. But we share most everything we deem as evidence that we find in the field. We like to share and explain why and how we came to our conclusions and the tools we used getting the evidence so we can help others learn and do things we already know how to do. We have a lot of people come to us for audio, video and photo analysis. I guess our website, facebook and youtube channel would be considered universal. Now if we ever got a really good picture or video of one, then yea sure, it would not be released publically until the legalities were taken care of. We aren't a secretive group by no means, because we don't have a secret agenda to make people think we're a bigfoot super squad and we're all knowing and all seeing so we can get more likes than the next group on social media. Sorry to say, but facebook "likes", doesn't count as real evidence no matter how blurry the picture is. Too many groups built on hype with no substance. Our group would rather be known for helping people and furthering the overall knowledge base of this animal. Our publically released info results are positive because we lay our research out in layman's terms and we don't do the woo/flute deal so we don't have anything to blame our blurry pictures on but our own ignorance. And I think our honesty resonates with our audience and they know we aren't yanking their chain. I know what you mean about not releasing some stuff on public media, some people seem to think their opinion is required.

I'm pretty much restricted by non-disclosure agreements from two separate groups (BFRO and SRA). Info is shared on forums involving ONLY the people that were in attendance. I can 'vaguely' share my experiences and evidence. I have to be careful not to disclose specific locations or personal info about who I was with. At this point there are very few places I'd go squatching that one of these two groups didn't show me.

We came VERY close to having my son's 2014 expedition encounter widely shared on "Finding Bigfoot", but the show producers decided against it.

We were scheduled to shoot during a Saturday afternoon but the cast and crew left the day before. Evidently they already had enough footage for the show.

It also would have been a difficult re-enactment to film. It was not a very good 'made for tv' encounter.

Edited by Redbone

Admin

Old Dog.

The premium section of the BFF has a researchers forum.

You can get a subforum which you control, i.e. have moderator rights.

Only premium members can read it, so there is none of the nonsense found in the general forum.

WV Footer and I share what we have there as well as other researchers like Norseman, BigTreeWalker with his bone research, Explorer, etc.

Its an option that would reach the most interested / serious members of the BF community.

Hope your group joins!

The group of which I am a part share info freely within the group, but with hold names and exact location specifics from anything that we post/write on public media, for obvious reasons. Encounter reports are often posted in a blog or published in book form by our resident author, Thomas Steenburg. I sometimes describe outings here on the forum in the "Field Trips" thread, though I was sadly remiss in doing so this past year due to personal health issues, now resolved, so hopefully I'll post more this coming year, once we're dug out from all the unusually heavy snow we've had this late in the season.

I also work with "BigfootHunter" in his tour company, Sasquatch Country Adventure Tours, sharing local sighting stories and general sasquatch lore with tourists who come to Harrison Hot Springs, which bills the area as "Sasquatch Country". Their reactions and comments all seem very positive, so we must be doing something right.

Members of the group have been involved in a number of documentaries, TV shows, and published books, so we're not shy or secretive, but not glory hounds, either.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gigantor said:

Old Dog.

The premium section of the BFF has a researchers forum.

You can get a subforum which you control, i.e. have moderator rights.

Only premium members can read it, so there is none of the nonsense found in the general forum.

WV Footer and I share what we have there as well as other researchers like Norseman, BigTreeWalker with his bone research, Explorer, etc.

Its an option that would reach the most interested / serious members of the BF community.

Hope your group joins!

Yeah, Old Dog.

None of us nonsensical lowlifes to deal with.  

More control.

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, Old Dog said:

I have been wondering how widely folks here share their findings with others.  Do you share universally? Within a formal research group?  Perhaps with only a select few?  Or possibly not at all.

I'm part of a small, very, very close knit group doing research on Sasquatch, among other things, and we have kept all of our findings within that group.  We start back up on the Sasquatch front this May, and are debating if we should share our findings more widely.  We have shown some things to Meldrum, but not publicly.   I'm wondering if anyone has shared their findings, how widely and with what results.  I have resisted releasing findings on forums because it always seems to devolve into chaos over theories and personalities.  Anything anyone would like to share about their experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Well I have always been freely open with my findings. Have taken the pictures and shared them will all. Have even recorded them and shared. The reason I have shared to find out if I have been on the right track. But the results gained have been mixed between anger to acceptance. But my view is that I have to stay skeptical as though I am always being hoaxed. But when you share it seems to help to know that yes you are on the right track. That the truth is truly out there since you are no longer alone with the info you have gained. Knowledge !

It is like a puzzle where all the pieces are now fitting together. Just never been posted until now. That these creatures do seem to react the same around humans around the US. Not just Humans but among researchers and it is very telling. Yes I am all for open source. :D 

Admin
3 hours ago, FarArcher said:

No. No trolls to deal with.

Perhaps you're unaware. I have to moderating/admin powers at all.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, in a way. 

My outings are casual. Just NV and a parabolic. No cameras. (Any more.)

If I were to post experiences people would want more than my word obviously. 

No photos or recordings to share.

I guess I'm out there for my own satisfaction. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Yeah, Old Dog.

More control.

Anyone who has a premium membership can access the research areas, read, comment, whatever. If you choose not to act accordingly however, the person who controls their research area can block you out. There are several other research areas you could still access however.

Plus, the $20 bucks for the premium membership supports the forum. It also gives you access to The Tar Pit, where you can let anyone and everyone know what you think about them with no restrictions. Just beware however, The Tar Pit is where they keep Huntster chained up. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Yeah, Old Dog.

More control.

More control for YOU!

2 hours ago, gigantor said:

No. No trolls to deal with.

Perhaps you're unaware. I have to moderating/admin powers at all.

You meant to say you have NO powers at all.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spacemonkeymafia said:

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, in a way. 

My outings are casual. Just NV and a parabolic. No cameras. (Any more.)

If I were to post experiences people would want more than my word obviously. 

No photos or recordings to share.

I guess I'm out there for my own satisfaction. 

^^ About sums it up for me.  I go camping in Michigan about 4-5 times a year.  The lengths and means of gear vary but all of it is about me being out in the woods and enjoying nature.  No gear to capture or record BF with the exception of my own eyes and brain. 

Admin

Oooops, a typo, that's what I meant, I have NO mod/admin powers.

I'm just the tech guy who keeps the server running and fixes problems before it goes down. You know, trivial stuff like making backups, updating the operating system and configuring the firewall to keep hackers out, that kind of thing.