• Announcements

• masterbarber

Help Support the BFF   09/08/2016

Help Support the BFF by purchasing a premium membership. Premium members are directly supporting our forum and our ability to keep it up and running. Without this vital resource and our all volunteer staff, we would not be able to sustain a web presence. The annual access fee allows us to maintain server space, renew software subscriptions, purchase new apps that benefit our members or ease efforts for staff and so forth.   The cost is $20.00 (US) per year- per membership, about $1.66 per month. In the future, an alternative may be a members only forum, as a way to continue the forum's funding source. I'm sure most of us would prefer that not be the case. If you are currently enjoying the content you read here then I urge you to Thank the Premium Members and to consider joining in support of the BFF. It's the only way we will continue to provide the current level of content access.    Please follow the below link for all the details: http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/30015-important-news-premium-access-memberships-are-now-available/   Best Regards, masterbarber Director, BFF
Admin

Sighting in Deep Creek Wilderness, near Lake Arrrowhead (Report 56754)

6 posts in this topic

I spotted something moving, very tall, standing atop a huge boulder about a mile away. I got a picture of it, but it was so far away that its a terrible photo.

Photo 1

Photo 2

ssr-marker.png

SSRID:              1380
Report Score:       4
Sighting Date:      07/01/2009
Sighting Time:      12:00
Moonphase:          Duration (mm:ss):   
Season:             2 - Summer (Jun 20 - Sep 19)
State:              CA
County:             San Bernardino
Latitude:           34.258516 
Longitude:          -117.12568
Altitude:           5151 ft
BFRO Class:         B - Class B
Sighting Type:      S - Single Creature
Witness:            2 - Multiple, no evidence
Witness Activity:   C - Camping
Witness Gender:     Unknown
Witness Age:        
Witness Feeling:    0 - Unknown
Witness Occupation: 
Terrain:            M - Mountainside
Zoning:             P - Park Land / Refuge
Photo Evidence:     N - None
Footprint Evidence: N - None
Footprint Length:   0 - 0"
Stride Length:      0 ft 0 in
Height (ft):        0
Height (in):        0
Hair/fur Color:     E - Dark
Skin:               U - Unknown
Organization:       BFRO
Researcher:         Raymond Ray
Confidence:         Low
Report URL:         http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=56754
 Biological Evidence
 Animal Activity
 Z - Other
 Animal Disposition
 Animal Locomotion
 Weather
 Other

ssr-marker.png

Probably a cell phone. Even though cell phone cameras are getting to be quite high resolution, they still don't have good enough lenses to take photos from a distance. This is why, if you are going anywhere and you plan to take pictures, always take a real camera with you that has a good optical zoom. Digital zoom only distorts.

I asked the question because if the blurry image was caused by blowing up the picture, the normal result with a digital camera is pixelation of the image.     While the aperture of a cell phone camera is very small,   if the lens is clean,   the image will be still be sharp but small.      Blowing up the small image results in pixelation,     I see none of that.       If those pictures or videos where we see blurry images without pixelation effects,  the image had to be blurred optically.          Reasons for optical blurring are dirty lens, camera movement,   out of focus,  or intentional.       Those tiny cell phone lenses have small apertures and huge depth of field, especially for distant objects, such as what is on the ridge line.   .      In the first image,   the image is out of focus all the way from the foreground bushes to the ridgeline in the background.     Nothing in the image was in focus.             Assuming the lens was clean,   and nothing in the image was in focus,  the camera was held still,   that indicates to me that either autofocus was malfunctioning, or the camera was intentionally taken out of focus.         Sadly intentional blurring is in the bag of tricks that hoaxers often use.      Some hiker on a ridge line is not nearly as interesting as a purported BF.