Poll: Do You Think BF has a Viable Population?

gigantor

Poll: Do You Think BF has a Viable Population?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gigantor  thanks for your effort and informative chart. I actually understand the point you are making.

Reports are very subjective and not very scientific. So I understand the concerns presented here.

It is very difficult to apply precise methods with such an unscientific  subject that may or may not even exist. Now having said that ,it is certainly interesting to say the very least. So thank you again.

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

SSR Team

The US hasn't really got " 320 million pairs of eyeballs doing the looking.........on foot, horseback, atvs, boats, planes, hot air balloons, trains, google earth, security cameras, game cams, USBP predator drones, military, CIA, NPS, state, county and city LE and wildlife agencies. " has it ? ;)

Half of the 320m are on Meth these days i thought anyway so they don't count either..;)

Norse look back at my answer, i always leave myself the wonderful option of citing Canada and Alaska as my reasons why i think like i do..;)

G, no emoticons for me, no quoting option either, i'm on a dodgy proxy don't forget as still in a part of the world that just doesn't do the BFF..

Also, point me to where i can generate those graphs please, i can't see an option to at first glance, sorry for being a pain.

SSR Team

Norse, it's a scoring system dependent on specific aspects of the data submitted from the origin report itself.

For example, pre-determined parts of a report score that report points.

Off the top of my head and don't quote me on these, a Class A (visual) sighting would get a point, a non visual wouldn't, if an investigator visited the report location it gets 2 points, if there was a phone follow up it gets 1, if there were multiple witnesses it gets a point etc etc.

The more points the report gets the "better" it's judged to be.

It's not perfect by any means but it does give you an insight in to "better" reports like i said.

There is a thread with the specific in the SSR section of the forum that will give you the specifics.

Thread titled "Report Ratings"

Edit : G, sorry, i've got the graph coming up now and just to let you know, it only comes up the whole when you select the date box and manually select 1918 to 2017 for example. Not selecting the date box just gives you 2015/2015.

There are non visual reports in the SSR? Would not have guessed that. Thanks for the explanation.

Lets look at this sat photo of the US for an example. In the east does it really matter that this creature is nocturnal? The street lamp grid misses very little out there. 

On my ranch you can see every constellation in the night sky. One lumber mill and one hog fuel electrical generator can be seen down in the valley for lights. Otherwise it's pretty dark, as is much of the west minus the coast. Canada is dark minus the prairie provinces and the 100 mile border with the US. 

Lights equal people.

IMG_0519.JPG

SSR Team

Edit : G again, sorry, whilst we're on the subject here, if it's not too doffficult to implement this month by month chart, would it be easy enough to add a yearly chart also ? I think that would be highly beneficial too ?

Norse, track ways, a lot lot vocals reports/knocks, never get a visual on the quarry Sir, yours included.

Norse i see tens of millions of acres that aren't lit up in your map, in the east..;)

Wish we could zoom on that and get some math..

Good zoom on this bad boy - https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Admin
1 hour ago, norseman said:

There are non visual reports in the SSR? Would not have guessed that. Thanks for the explanation.

Class B reports are non-visual. Here is the scoring criteria:

score.PNG

BobbyO, the report is based on the sighting dates, you must tick the date box and select a beginning and end.

3 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

It is very difficult to apply precise methods...again.

You can certainly come up with an objective score like we did. Not perfect, but it does a good job weeding out hoaxes, misids, etc. I'm sure that if I gave you any report with a high score, you could read it and agree that its one of the better ones. And viceversa, if I gave you a report with a low score, you'd agree that its not a very good one, hoax or misid.

We've tested this thoroughly and it works. Criteria #4, #5 and #6 really seem to do the job.

Name a State and I will give you links to 3 reports with a high score so you can check for yourself.

Admin

4 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thank you very much . The second one was the most compelling.

Here's the missing sketch by Sybilla Irwin for that report. The BFRO site is missing many of their report images now.

29529.jpeg

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, norseman said:

Hey Norse,

17 hours ago, norseman said:

Lets look at this sat photo of the US for an example. In the east does it really matter that this creature is nocturnal? The street lamp grid misses very little out there. 

I took out the photo to save space, but I believe that photo is misleading.  I know we're not the idyllic open skies of out west, were you can walk (drive?) for days and not see another person, but there are plenty of places where you can go and get lots of space and darkness in the east.  The other factor is human activity.  My outdoor lights stay on all night, but at 3:00 AM, bigfoot could walk up to the front door, moon the house, and be gone without being seen.  I'm willing to bet that I could (back in my younger years) infiltrate or exfiltrate 85 % of the suburbs and rural areas if I moved out during the late night. 

Sure. I'm not saying a FEW Bigfoot couldn't be scratching out a living in the Adirondacks in small numbers.

But some people act like we have a mutual of omahas "wild kingdom" here. Something ain't squaring.....

Admin
20 hours ago, BobbyO said:

would it be easy enough to add a yearly chart also ?

Here you go...

sightings-1960-2018-all-yearly.png

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:25 AM, gigantor said:

This poll inspired me to add a new chart to the SSR, a simple timeline of the number of sightings per month....  I'm still playing with it to make it more presentable.... below is the plot for Washington State from 1980 to 2016.

sightings-1980-2016-WA.png

and below is every State from 1980 to 2016 (5490 sightings)

sightings-1980-2016-all5490.png

There's something there in the two graphs, gigantor. Do you or any one see it? Looks to be a three or four year cycle of some kind.

Edited by hiflier

Admin
16 minutes ago, hiflier said:

There's something there in the two graphs, gigantor. Do you or any one see it?

I give up, what?

• gigantor unpinned this topic