Poll: Do You Think BF has a Viable Population?

gigantor

Poll: Do You Think BF has a Viable Population?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Admin

I'm curious to see what members think about the status of BF as a species.

Please do explain why you voted the way you did.

• Upvote 3

• gigantor pinned this topic

I voted they're doing great. The number of reports from around the country and their intelligence to be close to humans and still remain hidden is my reason for voting this option.

I didn't vote.

My opinion:  Bigfoot has viable populations in some areas but continues to come under increasing pressure from human activity and development.  There is population fragmentation in other areas, where they have probably fallen below the minimum viable population and are endangered.  In all areas, conservation efforts are advised.

• Upvote 1

My vote was for existence and viable.  My guess would be that their population while at its lowest is able to sustain as necessary based on its ability to go deeper into seclusion if needed.  

I'm not sure how much we can "protect" it given we've yet to even prove existence.  It's been doing a good enough job protecting itself.

I would say they are endangered. I make this assumption based on the amount of habitat which has been lost over the past decades. The bigfoots aren't the only species that is struggling now a days.

I had to choose between the last two.   I took the more cautious 2nd to last option.    I suspect the numbers are fine, and maybe growing, but without habitat, nothing does well very long ... including us.

I'm finding more evidence more often.   I can't be sure what the cause it, it could be I'm homing in on better locations, it could be that I'm becoming more aware of what to pay attention to .. a skill that should be expected to improve with practice.  

MIB

• Upvote 2

Great poll. I chose never existed, but if we are assuming they are of the prehuman  era . As to say a distant relative of ours then extinct would be my answer. If we are assuming they are nonhuman   then never existed, just another mythical beast from campfire stories and folklore.

Voted, Should survive if habitat remains, but would think it's shrinking a bit. BUT! That's of corse if they even exist at all. Would like to know one way or the other, not going to lose sleep if they don't, but really feel it would be so fantastic if they do.

• Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Your categories are all positive or negative but more accurately we do not know.

Either because they don't and you can't prove a negative.

Or they do and leave no DNA or bodies, they do leave photographic images, tracks, and mysterious hairs.

Some may know, but they are a very small percentage and there are no means testing for veracity due to the ephemeral nature of the subject matter.

So my answer covers they exist (yes) because the did (yes) but since I don't know they do I think that to cover the (no) I will say that what I knew existed at one point may have died out. Perhaps the Patterson film was the last surviving member.

The other answer Iike is that they are very endangered. I spent a decade looking at arial imagery and the amount of logging is immense.

There are very few forests that are wild enough and inaccessible enough to have a breeding population. Just fire up google earth and try and find pristine forests of a 900 square miles. Thats only a 30 mile by 30 mile chunk and there are only a handful that size. Canada is another story but logging is accelerating rapidly there all the way to the arctic tundra. 

Not sure how to answer this since I see these first three all as viable answers.

• BF Does Not Exist. It Never Has.
  • BF Existed at Some Point but it has gone Extinct
  • BF Exists now but it is Endangered. Its population is so low that it probably won't make it.

• Upvote 1

I voted number 3, and could vote 2 for many areas.

They are super rare, more rare than our known endangered species such as griz, lynx, wolverine. If they were not? I would cut more sign.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, norseman said:

I voted number 3, and could vote 2 for many areas.

They are super rare, more rare than our known endangered species such as griz, lynx, wolverine. If they were not? I would cut more sign.

I agree with Norse, said it all.

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unpinned this topic