US snow levels/Bigfoot

norseman

I would think that the snow levels in the Cascade mountains would compress population density along the coasts. But what about the Rocky mtns? Do they go south? The coast?

Except for the extreme NE, the east is completely snow free now.

I have a hard time believing there isn't snow in some of those areas that map is showing currently have no snow cover.  Aren't there many ski resorts on the east coast?  They all closed?  The mountains on the east coast have no snow a the higher elevations?

One other thing - and I have been feeling more and more this way the older I get - I am living in the wrong 3rd of the **** country (Montana).  Living in by far the coldest city in the state (and a "city" here is 25K and up, and there aren't a lot of those), I am **** tired of 6 to 8 months of winter weather.  Yes, I know, totally unrelated to the thread really.

As far as the snow making them move - If that map is correct, there is a lot of area that is fairly mild to migrate too if they aren't adept at living in climates with consistent snow cover.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

I don't know how those maps are created but I just looked at Virgina for example and all ski resorts are fully open and have "power alerts" in place right now.

I think they'd just go to lower elevations where th Rockies are concerned as opposed to big north/south/east/west movement personally.

Will check elevation > Rockies > seasonal data later and will share here.

Admin

Here in central VA, we have not gotten diddly squat for snow this year. At this house, one snow, less than two inches; a few places to the east got a lot more a few weeks back, but it was gone pretty quickly. Yes, the ski areas here and up in PA, NY, etc. have snow machines, so it is not really a big deal for them. That big snow a week or so ago hit north of DC and pounded NE. I heard that Boston set a record a couple of days ago with a high of 71, so I am guessing all that is gone.

I guess CA with their record snows this year, took ours...   :lol:

Hearing some rumblings that we could be in for a March surprise around the second week, but I will believe it when I see it.

NE OH.

75 degrees past Friday.Started snowing Saturday.Currently 26 degrees & 2" of powder on the ground.

Snow amounts in decline over the years in this location.

Do not recall seeing the big guys print/s in snow.

SSR Team
2 hours ago, norseman said:

Do they have snow machines?

I guess so, and when they get them ready, they give out "powder alerts" too...lol

SSR Team
3 hours ago, norseman said:

Oh! I thought you said "power alerts".... sorry.

I missed out a crucial letter..;)

As a rural American I thought you were talking about power outage alerts because of snow fall.:)

It would seem that if you found powder reports from eastern ski resorts? The NOAA map is not valid.....

15 hours ago, norseman said:

I would think that the snow levels in the Cascade mountains would compress population density along the coasts. But what about the Rocky mtns? Do they go south? The coast?

I used to assume the same.   I don't anymore.   The bigfoots appear to follow the deer and elk to their wintering areas, then hang out at the toe of the foothills above those flats.   Look for short but deep canyons that break the wind and minimize snow drifting.   It pays to remember that they're not naked humans, they're not merely cold adapted, they are INCREDIBLY cold adapted.   I suspect they have more trouble getting rid of heat at 85 degrees than they do staying warm at -25 degrees.   Behavioral adaptations address both.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

SSR Team
8 hours ago, norseman said:

As a rural American I thought you were talking about power outage alerts because of snow fall.:)

It would seem that if you found powder reports from eastern ski resorts? The NOAA map is not valid.....

Here snow levels from Virginia and NC in Jan.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/reports-states-of-emergency-declared-as-snowstorm-moves-up-the-east-coast/70000484 

http://www.weather.gov/akq/stormtotalsnow_jan07

Right now there's powder alerts for NY/NJ and other NE States.

Here's PA.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/02/pennsylvania-snowfall-snow-totals-winter-storm-niko-2017-by-town-city-weather-service-official-boswell-philadelphia-clearfield-how-many-inches/ 

No monster blizzards this year I guess though.

Edited by BobbyO

The NOAA map is dated 2/25/17.

So I'm assuming those earlier snow storms you posted have melted off by now, if we are to assume the map is correct.

21 hours ago, MIB said:

I used to assume the same.   I don't anymore.   The bigfoots appear to follow the deer and elk to their wintering areas, then hang out at the toe of the foothills above those flats.   Look for short but deep canyons that break the wind and minimize snow drifting.   It pays to remember that they're not naked humans, they're not merely cold adapted, they are INCREDIBLY cold adapted.   I suspect they have more trouble getting rid of heat at 85 degrees than they do staying warm at -25 degrees.   Behavioral adaptations address both.  

MIB

Why do you think they can withstand -25 degree weather?

My ranch fits your description, I have deer, elk and moose wintering here. Part of my ranch drops into a caynin. If they are hunting here now? Where are the tracks?