New Bindernagel presentation on Alert Bay Vocalization

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

35 minutes ago, TritonTr196 said:

Do you mean a "spectrogram" ? I can easily have a very thorough spectrogram analysis done of any sound you might have. Our group specializes in this procedure. Would help if sound wise they are decently recorded and clearly audible. Very far off faint sounds do not lend to a very good spectrogram analysis.

In the video, Dr. Bindernagel looks at sonograms (sound spectograms of some type I suppose) and indicates that he does not have the expertise to analyze them. At least that was my understanding. I took it as a request for help from fellow scientists. His phone number is public so someone could phone him and offer assistance. He is John Bindernagel Courtenay, BC.

I would think that this stuff involves some sort of Fourier analysis of wave forms, but have not looked into that sort of thing since the 1980s.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 10:00 AM, MikeZimmer said:

If moose come up right to the mainland coast, it is curious that they have not migrated to Vancouver Island. Grizzly have, though as far as I know that was only in the last few decades. Puzzling that, if my understanding of the timeline is correct.

I am tempted to ask my wife's cousin if he knows, since he has hunted in that region for years, though I don't know if he has hunted on the mainland.He may well be able to tell me if the range of moose extends right to the coast on the mainland in that area. I know his ex worked across the strait on the mainland at a wilderness resort.

Postscript: Today I got to ask my wife's cousin about moose on Vancouver Island. He grew up on the north end of the island, and has hunted for many decades. He has informed me that at some time in the past (decades), both moose and Roosevelt elk were introduced to Vancouver Island. The elk established a breeding population, the moose did not, so it is unlikely that any moose are still on Vancouver Island or surrounding islands.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
On 4/9/2017 at 8:25 PM, MikeZimmer said:

The elk established a breeding population

So the howl might be an Elk bugling, no?

On 3/22/2017 at 9:20 AM, norseman said:

The sounds are not Elk. And while there are no Moose on Vancouver Island they are on the main land.

Map

http://www.nhptv.org/wild/moose.asp

2 hours ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

So the howl might be an Elk bugling, no?

Norseman, who seems to know elk, says no.

Edited by MikeZimmer

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
18 hours ago, MikeZimmer said:

Norseman, who seems to know elk, says no.

I lived in the middle of three elk herds at my doorstep, so I'm thinking the technology and distance might have distorted a loud whistle to sound like a howl scream.

Idle speculation on my part.

And this was where...

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed the eerie sounds  . Certainly not moose, but not undiscovered ape men either.

Sounds more like lonely loons to me.

That's presuming you'd know what an undiscovered thing sounds like.  Hmmmmmmmmm on that one.

(There ain't a bird on the planet with lungs like that, and having heard one of the world's loudest birds, as established by science, at very close range, I can speak from authority.)

Edited by DWA

17 minutes ago, DWA said:

That's presuming you'd know what an undiscovered thing sounds like

You would know any better? By your own logic, no.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Cryptic Megafauna said:

I lived in the middle of three elk herds at my doorstep, so I'm thinking the technology and distance might have distorted a loud whistle to sound like a howl scream.

Idle speculation on my part.

Well, yeah, and someone would have to show me how "technology" would do this, or otherwise it's just an assumption with nothing to back it up.  What that sound is requires evidence, not assumptions.