Young and Infants

BobbyO

21 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

Has anyone on the forum been advanced upon by an aggressive BF (that they are willing to talk about)?

Most of the dedicated field researchers/investigators that I know, and who I've worked with in the SE, have, like myself  "been advanced upon by aggressive BF" many times. Levels of reactive aggressiveness vary depending on the BF's perceived threat to himself, his family, or the intrusion by us into food or water sources vital to them.

"Bluff charges" are often the result of humans displaying an audible or visual action that is insulting or demeaning to BF.  

• Upvote 2

Very good topic. Thank you all for the interesting discussion. Not here to derail. Just wanted to let all of you know I enjoyed it.

I have had them charge me, bluff that is but never harm me. That infra sound stuff as well too when they do use it only when I walk in the wrong area .Have had them surround me and have had them do knocks on me at different positions as though they were coordinating a hunt on me. But there was a infant or a young one involved and it was waving it's arms at me while the others were knocking around me. Have had big trees thrown down on or near my position.

But then there was this fresh sweet smell that I smelt in this certain area .The fragrance was an odd smell that I have never smelt before and it was around the end of October or biggening part of November. It was in a way back part of the woods that I hunt in. I just do not go out in the woods like I use too. I regret not going out there. Cause the woods is like a place for me to think and let my stress out. Now I have not kept track of what I knew what was out there. But there young ones must be protected very well or we would have picked up on them by now.

On 3/29/2017 at 11:22 AM, SWWASAS said:

Ioyza:     Interesting about the huffing.     Were you in an area where the BF were familiar with you?      

Yes, fairly familiar. Also, maybe "huffing" isn't really a good term to describe it - it was steady, fast, heavy breathing, in and out, increasing in volume until I could picture the lung capacity by the volume of air expelled. It was loud and very close. Another weird feature of the encounter is that at first I thought it was somewhere in front of me, then I thought it was behind me, then I couldn't really be sure. Pretty bizarre and disconcerting considering it sounded like it was within 30 feet of me.

I heard a heavy breathing sound while sitting in a tree stand once while I asked for two does once. Yes and that's bizarre but what can one do but except it. I looked below  my tree stand for the creature making the sound  but it was not around . 20' up in a tree and the sound sounded like it was next to me. Getting dark and you have this heavy breathing creature that sounded like it chased these deer some distance kind a of freak's you out. So yes I know what you want through.

But then it gets better and more exciting.

Quote Shadowborn in part:

"But then there was this fresh sweet smell that I smelt in this certain area .The fragrance was an odd smell that I have never smelt before and it was around the end of October or beginning part of November." 

Dad-blame-it SB, what was the source of that smell???  :) Of all the weird things things I've encountered at night when I knew BF were around, the source of this smell is an absolute mystery to me! It has bugged me for years. It sounds so outlandish that I seldom mention it. It seems that a very few of the researchers I've talked to and/or worked with have not even heard of this smell. I really should not even call it a "smell" because it is the most pleasant aroma I've ever encountered in the outdoors. (And that's saying something after having working in the Amazon Basin for ten years.)

What you said about the time frame of encountering the sweet smell matches the times I have encountered them; always in early November during periods of prolonged droughts with no blooming plants of any kind for miles.

The first time I detected the scent I was alone in a dried up swamp just a little after dark.The three resident male BF were calling and converging on the edge of the nearby river to begin their nightly hunting/foraging round. The male that bedded on a high point overlooking the swamp was about to pass within about 100 yards of me to meet the others. He stopped walking for about ten minutes, but then continued on toward the others. It was about another ten minutes before I detected the sweet aroma, and heard very slow and careful bipedal footsteps following the same general path as the vocalizing male. The walking sounds stopped at about the same spot at which the male stopped. Within minutes that absolutely fresh and fragrant aroma enveloped the area and remained for about 30 minutes. I never heard any sound of movement in the dried swamp bed again that night. By then the males had gathered, and had gone up-river and their vocalizations ceased.

Thanks for mentioned the smell SB. 

Edited by Branco
  • Upvote 2

That sweet smell .. female with infant.   Peace, blissful happiness.    It is a rare honor, especially for a man, to share in it, normally it is mother to mother.   You guys are incredibly fortunate.  

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
14 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

I heard a heavy breathing sound while sitting in a tree stand once while I asked for two does once. Yes and that's bizarre but what can one do but except it. I looked below  my tree stand for the creature making the sound  but it was not around . 20' up in a tree and the sound sounded like it was next to me. Getting dark and you have this heavy breathing creature that sounded like it chased these deer some distance kind a of freak's you out. So yes I know what you want through.

But then it gets better and more exciting.

The closer to infrasound a sound gets the less directional it becomes.    It seems to surround you.     Perhaps just normal heavy breathing in BF produces infrasound components.        SInce our hearing is not tuned to infrasound,   we probably pick up harmonics and get a lot of infrasound right at the lower range of our hearing.      If my theory is correct,  zapping is produced by a stuttering release of air from the lungs of a large BF.    Perhaps by the fluttering of the tongue or some part of throat structure.      Normal breathing with that huge lung capacity could just be the same thing without the stuttering sound producing the pressure waves.     Infrasound, no matter what the source travels great distances.     The BF you heard could well have been quite a distance away.  

When you mentioned a "stuttering" sound SW, it reminded me of an interview with Tim "Coonbo" Baker on Sasquatch Chronicles a couple of weeks ago. It is Episode 300 and on the free side. Tim has extensive experience with infra-sound, both in his Sasquatch investigations and his day job. He built a microphone specifically designed to pick up infra-sound and has recorded a low amplitude sound like that when his group has attracted several males using call blasting. He speculates that they make it to silently let each other know that they are in the area. It is an extremely informative interview and well worth a listen for anyone interested in infra-sound. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm partial to the theory that like all wild animals, the juveniles know to freeze when danger is about.  I'm sure others have had this experience, but my dog (a lab with all natural instincts lost to domestication) and I walked w/in 2 feet of a fawn that just stayed hunkered down in the tall grass.  

The magic database tells us the following: 

Out of 960 encounters, 43 (credible) encounters involve a juvenile or infant bigfoot.

Only once was an obvious infant encountered; when it was it was accompanied by an adult. 

In nineteen encounters, juveniles are spotted in the company of adults.  In these cases, the presumed young range in height from 3 to 5-6 feet.  And while I haven't looked them all up for this post, I'm pretty sure that in all of them, the young bigfoot is walking on its own - i.e., not being carried, or clinging to the back, like an infant would be.    

Twenty-three times, presumed juveniles are encountered on their own, or at least without a visible adult nearby.  Where height is reported, they range in height from 3 feet (your typical tow-headed kid?) to 6-7 feet (teenagers?).  

So - have the babies and the nursery well off the beaten track, stay very quiet and reclusive while you have an infant, then start going into "normal" mode once the infants reach the age/size where they're semi-capable?  

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Trogluddite said:

Well, I'm partial to the theory that like all wild animals, the juveniles know to freeze when danger is about.  I'm sure others have had this experience, but my dog (a lab with all natural instincts lost to domestication) and I walked w/in 2 feet of a fawn that just stayed hunkered down in the tall grass.

I am with you on this as well but when a fawn walks in front of you not 5' from you. You kind a of have to question why it left it's hide. Also this was on a path not walked on by many humans. I kind a of believe that the creatures playing with me while on stand were juveniles. testy devils :D 

BFF Patron
On 3/30/2017 at 5:33 PM, ShadowBorn said:

I

Still having trouble getting rid of quotes.     Trog I am pretty sure  the 3 foot juvenile I encountered was being carried.     It might be situational since the group of at least 3 seemed to be traveling someplace at a good pace.     There is no way that little guy/girl could have navigated on foot. the terrain at the rate they were moving.    I had a difficult time getting into where I last heard them because of down trees and brush.   

Shadow, SWWASAS, 

I don't doubt that the little ones hitch a ride.  The encounters of young ones are just so few and far between.  I just finished plugging some more encounters in, so since I posted those numbers, I'm up to 977 encounters.  Encounters w/juveniles make up 4-5% of the reported encounters and encounters with an infant are literally 1 in 1,000.  

Just thought to look up something.  Interestingly, only 9 encounters involve a female, with or without a juvenile, that's not accompanied by a male.

When I broaden to include females encountered with males, it goes up to 20 encounters.  So seeing a clearly identifiable female is rarer than encountering a juvenile.

Of course, if witnesses would just get closer and check out the plumbing, I wouldn't have 803 reports where the gender field is blank.  :lol:

BFF Patron

I have gotten sort of fuzzy answers from people who have been close enough to check out the plumbing.      Some say males can be identified and others say it is not so obvious.      If females are like larger apes, and only have protruding breasts when nursing, that could explain why females are normally not identified.    Us humans associate noticeable breasts with female but it could be that BF females not nursing it is not that obvious as with the other large apes.    The chest proportions and musculature of males could also make the difference less obvious.     Then there is the tendency of the human eye to look to the face, when encountering anything that looks at all human.     That is likely a primal instinct going back to our ancestors who had to decide if another human encountered was friend or foe.    Anyway a brief encounter with a BF usually results in it turning and walking away.   Not leaving much time to assess gender.  

A male observer, perhaps, isn't as likely to notice male genitalia on a squatch, unless it is, for some transient reason, "prominent".  It was the last thing I would have thought to look for.

That said, I've found that adult males and females are readily distinguishable within 100 yards.  The males I've encountered had triangular upper bodies, with broad chests and shoulders and comparatively narrow waists.  Their abdominal musculature was also very clear underneath their hair.  The females were more barrel shaped with their chests, hips, and waists about the same width.  The adult female I got the closest look at had unmistakable human shaped, and very large, breasts.  She was clearly much younger than Patty, and based on the unrelieved fullness and lack of sagging of her anatomy, it appeared that she was very near delivery.  Her abdomen was only about as distended, though, as that of a human female in her second trimester.

This leads me to speculate that newborn squatch aren't as proportionately larger than newborn humans as adult squatch are proportionally larger to adult humans.  If so, childbirth would pose less of a risk to a female squatch than it does to a female human, and this makes sense to me from a natural selection perspective.