Has Bigfoot Science Stalled? (2)

masterbarber

20 minutes ago, DWA said:

If you set aside the anecdotes, you are left with evidence that has multiple potential sources. None of it is conclusive, and of the potential sources, the only ones ever proven are fabrication or error. Not once has the coin landed on the side of " this could only have come from an undocumented ape". Never.  It is no wonder you focus on the anecdotes. Your approach is unscientific in that it is steeped in the unfalsifiable. You prefer to focus on that which cannot be proven or disproven. This provides you with all the wiggle room you want to make your grand, but ultimately empty, proclamations. You're not fooling anyone who examines this phenomenon with a hard skeptical and scientific eye. 

I don't believe that bigfoot exists simply because of the gap between the thousands of reports and the utter lack of conclusive hard evidence. That gap just gets bigger the more the reports march in and no supporting evidence is provided. That you see this as a strong point belies your lack of understanding. 

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

Dmaker

Smoke does not mean fire at all ! but means that there is amber burning. This means that there is hope that there is a living entity roaming our wilderness.

an·ec·do·tal

ˌanəkˈdōdl/

adjective

adjective: anecdotal

(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

Some of us have done the research and have found for ourselves the facts of what it is that is out there. What you have done is placed your self in a single place and called it a fact that they do not exist. This is not research. Now getting to an area where a freshly reported encounter and being there to intercept the encounter your self . Well this would better your chances of knowing the truth of what is out there. It would no longer be anecdotal to you but a fact. You my friend would no longer be sitting in the skeptical chair. :) 

Shadow, again your personal truth means nothing to an objective observer. It simply cannot. I am not you. There is no guarantee that I would perceive what you did in the same way. You keep thinking that I would see what you see the same way and arrive at the same conclusion. Such is not the case. That is why anecdotes are useless in this case as evidence for existence. 

If one believes there to be some truth to the legend, then sure, use the reports as a starting point to head out on your investigations. If something conclusive is recovered, then I would love to adjust my position. That has not happened yet, and I don't believe that it ever will.  In the meantime, focusing on personal truths and encounter stories is going to provide for nothing more than interesting campfire stories. 

• Upvote 1

Shadow, may I ask you a question? It's not terribly scientific, but it might speak directly to our disconnect. You seem to portray a very personal connection with bigfoot. Almost to the point of fetishism (I don't mean that as an insult, it's just a term). Do you have similar thoughts or relationships with any mundane, or documented species? Bigfoot seems to hold an almost spiritual significance for you. That is perhaps why my objectivity is at such odds with your subjectivity.  I fail to understand why bigfoot seems so personal to you.

Edited by dmaker

2 hours ago, dmaker said:

Do you have similar thoughts or relationships with any mundane, or documented species?

Dmaker

Yes, I have it with hunting deer. I mean public land big bucks. Since those are hard to hunt unless you know how to look for them. They know hunters and can out wit us for their doe's.. The other animal that I have a great relationship with is the turkey. Being able to call them in is not an easy task and calling in a old tom on public land takes work. But I love it and have never shot at them when they came in. Just watching them fluff out is fantastic. This is how I see the Bigfoot. They might not be documented but I know that they are real. Like you said anecdotal is just stories but when there is evidence to back it up then what do we call it?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 6:41 PM, dmaker said:

Shadow, may I ask you a question? It's not terribly scientific, but it might speak directly to our disconnect. You seem to portray a very personal connection with bigfoot. Almost to the point of fetishism (I don't mean that as an insult, it's just a term). Do you have similar thoughts or relationships with any mundane, or documented species? Bigfoot seems to hold an almost spiritual significance for you. That is perhaps why my objectivity is at such odds with your subjectivity.  I fail to understand why bigfoot seems so personal to you.

I think the same question could be directed at you.

You don't believe these things exist - and yet you put in overtime - repeating your reasons.

Why is this so personal to you? 

^^^^ fear.

MIB

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MIB said:

^^^^ fear.

MIB

Fear?

But the science says there's nothing to fear  .  .  .  the evidence says there's nothing to fear  .  .  .

Fear of what? An animal I don't believe exists? Boy, like I haven't heard that one before. 

You know, FarArcher, I take this subject more seriously, and do it more justice with my objective scepticism,  than you do with your fantasy tales and fear mongering. 

You like to vilify me for every comment I make, but ironically it is you that does more harm here than I ever would. 

• Upvote 1

Fear??? The only fear evidenced on this forum comes from proponents who remain unwilling to treat the subject fairly. At this point, 50 years after the PGF, what can anyone possibly fear? When proponents follow the guidelines laid out for evidence collection they fail but they fail far worse when they try to rely solely on stories. Every story remains unproven, every piece of "evidence" has been discredited at best (with a good many becoming known for the hoaxes they were) and every sad shill that has come through beating their drum has failed to produce anything concrete. That's not the fault of science or any particular person, dmaker included.  

When your rigorous study (listen to a story and decide to believe it) provides equal weight to the existence of bigfoot, fairies, mothman, werewolves or a child's imaginary friend who's really afraid?  

• Upvote 3

This is probably getting a bit too personal for the public threads. Feel free to PM me and rant at me all you want. I think we should keep that stuff out of the threads, however.

Just now, dmaker said:

I think you like to make up bigfoot stories. Perhaps to try sell more copies of your book, or perhaps just to engage in the bigfoot narrative. Who knows? Who cares, really? You're obviously quite enamored of the big, scary, dangerous man-beast of the woods myth. You try to perpetuate that here every chance you get. Nothing wrong with spooky stories. The problem is that you try peddle them off as real. I guess bigootery is a great place to try to do that. I don't think you are fooling as many people as you think you are.

My book has nothing to do with bigfoot, biology, or anything similar.  If you were to enjoy the most basic fundamentals of reading comprehension, you'd realize that rather that blowing things out your nether region that have nothing to do with what we're discussing.  

I've never told any "spooky stories," so you're a lying fabricator on that point.  Hate to be that blunt - but if that's what you must resort to - you must be desperate to strike out at something - having nothing of substance.

I don't peddle these things off as real.  In fact I've said more than once - I wish I'd never had my little meeting engagement - so once again - you're a fabricating liar.  Once I ever meet a liar - one who resorts to lies and fabrications - it's a bad habit of mine - but I will never believe anything they say again.  Your credibility is zero.  Actually, worse.  I prefer stone-cold killers - who are honest - than a liar or a thief.

I never try to fool anyone - but you try to fool people with your obsessive denials and refusals of any evidence other member feel is substantial enough to discuss.  Anyone from outside that wishes to visit this site out of curiosity, or to perhaps learn more about the topic of these cavemen - you just gotta show how tough and smart you are with arbitrary marker posts of what you have determined is acceptable evidence and what is not.

Let's be bluntly honest.  People like me, MIB, Branco, and others just **** you off because we are absolutely certain you are wrong.  I mean, we know it.  We know and have experienced things you never have, and are completely ignorant of.  We are absolutely positive with zero degree of error of what we experienced.  And you didn't experience diddly squat.  Isn't that frustrating.  Worse - I didn't want the experience.  Wish I'd never had it, a thousand times over.

But too sorry to get off your butt and go spend time in remote areas to find out for yourself.  You won't because of your fear, your inadequacy, your lack of skills, lack of determination, lack of overall capability, lack of basic woodcraft, total lack of tracking skills - basically, you're just not up to it.  And it grates you.  The only way you can compensate is to attack others who spent time, invested in hardship locations that gave results, and men who can do the things necessary to engage these things - and the truth.

Angry compensation for personal shortcomings.  That's why you live here.

I made an error on the book comment. I was thinking of Branco. He has a spooky bigfoot book for sale. I edited that out of my comment.

Re: the rest? Blah, blah, blah, blabbity, blah, blah. Heard it all a thousand times here from bigfoot fantasists like you. You get all uppity when someone challenges your little bigfoot fairy tales. You have to make it personal and attack me because you have absolutely zero concrete evidence to provide. All you have is your stories and your blustering. 

Bluster away. You could not be more ineffective if you tried. 

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dmaker said:

I made an error on the book comment. I was thinking of Branco. He has a spooky bigfoot book for sale. I edited that out of my comment.

Re: the rest? Blah, blah, blah, blabbity, blah, blah. Heard it all a thousand times here from bigfoot fantasists like you. You get all uppity when someone challenges your little bigfoot fairy tales. You have to make it personal and attack me because you have absolutely zero concrete evidence to provide. All you have is your stories and your blustering. 

Bluster away. You could not be more ineffective if you tried. 

dmaker. Enough. Reread your own last 30+posts scattered across this Forum's threads. Everyone of them is a knee to the gut. Stop escalating the dialogue by using every dig and sideswipe comment you can come up with to harangue members at every turn. Yes, we know: you are not a believer. Yes, you won't accept anything as evidence beyond your set parameters. Yes, you are NOT wrong for stating it whenever the opportunity arises. But yes you ARE wrong when your points are laced with derision and disrespect. So please, clean it up and knock off the not so subtle knife twisting  that's been going on for days now. There's no call for it and you know that eventually folks are going to get irritated with your gradual erosion of  common courtesy. I know you can do better than the constant needling you've been dishing out lately.    

That is hilarious, hiflier.  Maybe you should reread the posts to see who got nasty and personal first.

Edited by dmaker

• salubrious locked this topic
  • Registration Desk unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic