On the dangers of paying for BF expeditions that have no legal permits

Explorer

3 hours ago, BobbyO said:

With you all the way, on everything bar the last sentence...;)

Same here: There is always a smell, or if you've ever noticed the birds sound off as you approach. You can easily forget and approach from the wrong direction vs. the sun. Even the average animal has the better odds of knowing you're there before you know they are.

SSR Team

Absolutely.

And a higher, extremely intelligent primate that is as in-tuned (sp?) with its environment as these things are ?

Don't hold your breath waiting to bump in to one after creeping up on it.

BFF Patron
11 hours ago, Old Dog said:

Gotcha.  I'm always a fan of didactic posts such as yours. My point was not about interaction or their differing modes of recollection over time.  My point was all about keeping your arse in one spot, not drawing attention to yourself, and looking for movement to detect the presence of other beings in the woods around you.  If one is so busy tromping around the forest as to not have the time to detect and see what is around them, they miss a lot of information.  For all I know, and I'm surely no expert, this may be one of the methods Sasquatch may employ themselves.  Not having the honor of sitting down next to one to shoot the breeze about it, I think it may be a viable hypothesis.  At any rate, sitting still and being observant has had good results for me.

Thanks for clarifying your original post (must have lost some context, or overfocused on an element); yes, without a doubt, intensive outpost duty does have a place in BF research.  I had the luxury of a ton of daily daylight research every few days for years in one location.  I also had the luxury of living close enough to hoof it around my research areas day and night.   It is the Sherwin Williams approach to BF research that you espouse and I am a member of the choir to whom you preach.  The hairier members of "my choir" brought it on home often for a few numbers of years which makes the chase pretty cool and rewarding.  Saturation bombing is alive and well; if you've got the time, BF's got the beer. 

7 hours ago, starchunk said:

Same here: There is always a smell, or if you've ever noticed the birds sound off as you approach. You can easily forget and approach from the wrong direction vs. the sun. Even the average animal has the better odds of knowing you're there before you know they are.

The kicker was one day when i ridgewalked a line to allow me to capture early morning snowy tracks in a hot zone valley---end result:   after a good sized hike, I was "cut-off" descending into the target zone by unmistable tree crashes, not unlike others I had experienced in the area but this one much more demonstrative in terms of intent and timing.  Yours truly was up and out of there and on a major detour home. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

^^

We'll see how well my plans work out this week.  We're off to the Olympics for a week long foray in a couple of days.  So far, in all my searches, I have not yet been able to get the big guy to co-operate, but still I persist.  I see all manner of wildlife, but not the hide and seek champion as of yet.  Hope springs eternal.

Best of luck to you on your trip, Old Dog. I know you'll enjoy your stay regardless of success or failure in the sighting endeavor.

11 hours ago, BC witness said:

Best of luck to you on your trip, Old Dog. I know you'll enjoy your stay regardless of success or failure in the sighting endeavor.

Thanks BCW.  I never go into the woods or forest with the expectations of finding anything.  If one does that, they are just setting themselves up for failure.  I always enjoy my time in the Olympics, especially the solitude.  Our usual camp spot is 12 miles in from the nearest road where we park our vehicles, so the solitude part is rather easy.  Our stance is, "Let's go camping.  If we find something, cool, if not at least we're camping".  We'll toss in some fishing also.

• Upvote 1

Old Dog -

That's my philosophy!   Time out there in the woods is it's own reward.

MIB

1 hour ago, MIB said:

Old Dog -

That's my philosophy!   Time out there in the woods is it's own reward.

MIB

Absolutely

BFF Patron

Total agreement on that.      While the BF issue can be frustrating, because of how rare they are,   I have spent more time in the woods in the last 10 years than I have in the entire rest of my life.    I learn nearly every time I go out and experience stuff that I would not be exposed to without the BF incentive to be there.     A close face to snout  with a cougar or bear is every bit as exciting as a BF encounter.    Perhaps I should just go to be there and if BF decides it wants to let me know it is around, all the better?