Stick Structures

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

I think my condo already fits that description :lol:

:lol: Jodi, I'd love living in the wilderness too but I don't think I'd like the neighbors routinely carrying away my log perch and rearranging it between trees. At least they're not knocking on the door borrowing stuff. I guess some neighbors are worse than others. ;) Chris B.

Guest BCCryptid

If sasquatches are out there, it would be logical that they manipulate trees and branches. Apes do. People do. Chimps and gorillas build night nests. People build shelters (what strange primates we be to feel so compelled to build ourselves flimsy caves of fabric or branches each night). Why wouldn't sasquatches manipulate them?

I do agree that taken by themselves stick sign is not conclusive evidence. But I think it can be used as indicators for people looking for likely research localities. People used to being in forests get a feel for the usual amount of naturally occurring stick structures and tree breaks out there due to wind and tree falls. But if you are in the habit of driving on forestry roads looking for sign, such as deer hunters do (looking for rutting deer antler tree scrapes etc.) you can get pretty good at finding a "hot" area to stop at and have a better look around. Often when you do, you find other things such as footprints, rocks piled up, kill sites, and hear sounds that are not common such as howls and hoots, get things thrown at you, and hear a lot of movement just out of range of sight. At night you will get eye shine and more of the same. All these things are not evidence by themselves but rather indicators of a good place to look.

After all in the end the only evidence that will be conclusive will be bones, a body, a DNA sample (flesh or blood?) that is very fresh and can be tested for very slight, specific indicators of difference between humans and their close kin. Or all of the above.

I'd plus one ya but I'm quota'd for the day! Another brilliant post, vilnoori!

Guest BCCryptid

I think humans, sasquatches, and mother nature, all construct primitive tree structures in the bush.

Telling the 3 apart, now THERE'S the CHALLENGE!!!

• 6 years later...

I think humans construct primitive tree structures in the bush.

[Bumping the oldest thread in General Discussion because, ummmmmm,  it's what the 'cool' kids seem to be doing]

• Upvote 1

I've never bought into them being of BF origin.  Why would they build it?  Most seem devoid of covering so I doubt they would be shelter. IDK, I don't know of a good reason for them.  I don't recall coming across any reports of BF being observed building one but I could be mistaken or didn't catch that report.

14 minutes ago, Squatchy McSquatch said:

I think humans construct primitive tree structures in the bush

Humans? Of course they do. I did it as a kid along with every other kid. Hunters make blinds all the time. And nature of course refuses to pick up after herself too. Not a real neat housekeeper with what she tosses, breaks, twists, and leaves laying around. Got no problem with what you say.

Edited by hiflier

When we were kids we biked and hiked all over parts of the Bruce Trail.

Made lots of stick structures because.... well, why not?

Most stick structures I've come across showed signs of being makeshift homeless shelters. Unless BF has been known to discard pee jugs from 711 and Mac's Milk.

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

^^ Agreed.  We walked, biked, and rode quads all over when we were kids.  Even now I do and I bet a lot of places one calls "remote" is not as remote as one thinks.  

Just because you go there often and don't see people doesn't mean it isn't visited.  If you go to a remote spot once a week for a 6 hour hike you only account for 1/14th of the daylight time per week, assuming say 12 hrs of light per day just to put an estimate on it.

In no particular order I'd guess:

1. Kids

2. Homeless

3. Hunter blind

You are right about the Tex Ritter version but I did hear Walter Brennan's version. Thanks, good stuff. I always liked Autry's stuff too :) Hey, while I've got you on the phone: As a kid I used to watch a cowboy character named Lash Larue. He made a bunch of movies in the 1940's and I watched them in the 50's. Dang it, Tal, now I gotta go and watch them all again. Thanks PAL. LOL. 

Edited by hiflier

If it's a tree structure that is supposed to be a shelter I don't put nothing into them being made by bigfoot for a couple reasons. One is in all these years I've not yet heard of any hair, scat, ect found in one. If a bigfoot ocuppied it there would all of that easily found even if vacated for a long time. I along with most everyone else here has built these ourselves at some point in our lives. I've also belonged to an Appalachian group on facebook and homestead  groups and off grid groups, I can't count all the times I've seen grandma or dad post pictues of kids who had just built a shelter or small teepee, ect long camping in one of the many huge parks along the Appalachian trail, or way out in the boonies on their homestead property. Every time I'm like, bet I'll see this one again in a couple of years on some Bigfoot facebook page as a Bigfoot made shelter.

Other type stick structures such as broken tree tops, X's, and bent tree's, ect I do believe Bigfoot makes them.

Here's what I think about stick structures:  we don't know.

People keep talking about "how we never get physical evidence."  Well, we likely are and don't recognize it because we don't recognize the animal that made it.  (Footprints, btw, are forensic evidence, with clear and subtle indicators that an unrecognized hominid is making them.)  Temperate-zone forest plants are woody by and large; they don't generally get ripped apart and devastated the way tropical apes do the plants they feed on.  Bigfoot are as likely to eat fruit and nuts as anything known to do it; browsing may happen too, and a lot of this may not be showing up in ecological modeling because it's presumed bear and deer are doing it, i.e., we might be overestimating those animals' populations.

As to structures:  it's known that bonobos make trail markers.  They don't do it with woody plants, but they place leaves and uprooted plants at the junctions of their trails, pointing in the direction the troop leaders took.  Researchers have used these markers to keep up with bonobo troops. 

People keep thinking behaviors to be a stretch for sasquatch that other primates have been demonstrating.  It really pays to pay attention. If they're using trees to communicate long-distance, I don't know why put this past them.

That said, there is one kind of sasquatch report I have never read:  one caught in the act of erecting a stick structure.  Not that that means much.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic