What To Do When Confronting Bf?

georgerm

depending on the situation id probably lock & load,if i hadnt already.otherwise probably enjoy the show in amazement if there was no confrontation at hand.if there was trouble id hope to quickly introduce modern firepower to this ancient mystery. B)

Guest yoniclix

I'm going with you 'Old Dog'. After a few mouthfulls of rabbit and the contest between Rotor and I for the cream, I'm up to the challenge. Frankly though, I would rather stand face to face with a Yowie that walk down the main street of a nighttime in the city. Having said that, I wear an Afghani made Bowie knife and also a canistor of black pepper at the ready. Nobody messes with me as, although I am 'kind' of heart, I do mess back. Old boy Scouts never die. They just stay prepared. Kapiesh.

Someone mentioned not staring and this may be a big deal with primates. One time I was in India and my girlfriend and we were in this park in downtown New Delhi the captial city. A group of monkeys raided our picnic and ran off with some food. I was ticked off and followed them back to this rock mound. A large male monkey of about 70 pounds approached me. I stared at it, and it went nuts and attacked me. Fast on my feet, I dashed away, and it failed to grab and bite me. It was really scary since there were more monkeys ready to attack. They seemed to get set off when stared at. So I would use this tactic with BF and would not look into its eyes.

Someone mentioned not showing teeth since it may incite a fight so don't smile.

When confronting a black bear, some say to yell, charge it, and throw stuff. I would not do this with BF. If charged, I would try to stand my ground and just face off with it but not staring. I suppose one could run for a distance, then regain a stand off. BF seems to be the master of intimidation and most times their quarry is chased and terrified. If attacked, rolling in a ball may work with a bear and BF.

The pictures below are what I saw, when the **** monkey jumped from a ledge and charged me.

I have read report one report of BF tearing apart a man that shot it.

post-447-021231600 1284884144_thumb.jpg

post-447-016200600 1284884168_thumb.jpg

Hazel Court, the "Queen of Scream" movie actress lived across the road from one of my sister's houses near Lake Tahoe and would routinely let the bears wander around in her home. She had names for them all and they would even walk up to her while she was reading a book and let her pet them. She never had a problem from what all the neighbors say.

Wonder what else she let into her home? :P

Norcal what do you recommend when confronting a BF and you are unarmed? I know what you would do if armed....bang......thud.....and the mystery would be solved once and for all.

The tactic should be GET THE THING TO CHARGE YOU.

In the name of Science get the thing to get close to you and grab a hunk of hair, or disembowel it with a box-cutter.

It's an unknown species, do it in the name of science.

This is another reason I think Bigfoot isn't real. It has no defense or territorial protection mechanism.

A grizzly bear charges someone because they are too close to it's cubs, BOOM, the person's partner shoots it with his .44 magnum at 5 yards.

This never happens with Bigfoot. Apes? Yep they charge, it's ugly. Bigfoot? Nope, it sways passively behind a tree with it's glowing eyes.

Two situations would result in two different reactions:

Scenario 1: Passive

If a sasquatch presents itself to me and it is passive the best thing to do (I would think) is be slow and deliberate in anything you do, as others have said. Maybe talk in a calming, soothing voice. If you want to move away do it very slowly with your hands off to your sides while speaking softly to it. Again I wouldn't show teeth or maintain eye contact with the animal like others have also said. I've read what chimps can do, I don't want to bring the anger of an animal 4 times that large on myself.

Scenario 2: Aggressive

Squat, put your head between your legs, kiss your tuckus goodbye. I jest. If it charges then stops, refer to post above. If you carry a sidearm (as I would) and it doesn't look like its going to stop you could try firing in the air (if you have time) to see if you could halt its progress. Or you could just let the ACP rounds hit him in the chest. Either way firing on the animal (for me) would be pretty last resort. If he gets ahold of you I would try to keep my limbs tucked into my body as well, but if it wants it its going to take it. No matter how hard you try to hold your arm against your chest.

In either situation, for me, making a quick move to grab your camera would be a no no. To me at least.

Georgerm, link to said report? Who exactly said he fired then squatchy went ape poo on him?

The tactic should be GET THE THING TO CHARGE YOU.

In the name of Science get the thing to get close to you and grab a hunk of hair, or disembowel it with a box-cutter.

It's an unknown species, do it in the name of science.

This is another reason I think Bigfoot isn't real. It has no defense or territorial protection mechanism.

A grizzly bear charges someone because they are too close to it's cubs, BOOM, the person's partner shoots it with his .44 magnum at 5 yards.

This never happens with Bigfoot. Apes? Yep they charge, it's ugly. Bigfoot? Nope, it sways passively behind a tree with it's glowing eyes.

You need to read more BFRO reports. Many talk about BF charging, then following people through the woods breaking branches, and using other intimidation tactics. Victims describe being terrified and suffer post stress syndrome.

Two situations would result in two different reactions:

Scenario 1: Passive

If a sasquatch presents itself to me and it is passive the best thing to do (I would think) is be slow and deliberate in anything you do, as others have said. Maybe talk in a calming, soothing voice. If you want to move away do it very slowly with your hands off to your sides while speaking softly to it. Again I wouldn't show teeth or maintain eye contact with the animal like others have also said. I've read what chimps can do, I don't want to bring the anger of an animal 4 times that large on myself.

Scenario 2: Aggressive

Squat, put your head between your legs, kiss your tuckus goodbye. I jest. If it charges then stops, refer to post above. If you carry a sidearm (as I would) and it doesn't look like its going to stop you could try firing in the air (if you have time) to see if you could halt its progress. Or you could just let the ACP rounds hit him in the chest. Either way firing on the animal (for me) would be pretty last resort. If he gets ahold of you I would try to keep my limbs tucked into my body as well, but if it wants it its going to take it. No matter how hard you try to hold your arm against your chest.

In either situation, for me, making a quick move to grab your camera would be a no no. To me at least.

Georgerm, link to said report? Who exactly said he fired then squatchy went ape poo on him?

It was one of the BFRO reports from Oregon and will try to find it.

Shooting BF is not a good idea unless one is experienced with big game hunting and know where to shoot animals with the proper weapon.

Edited by georgerm

Here is a report of a BF stalking a lady by dashing from tree to tree. This type of confrontation would be unnerving since the BF's goal is not known. Is is going to kidnap the lady as the indians complained about?

Geographical Index > United States > Oregon > Clackamas County > Report # 12216

Report # 12216 (Class A)

Submitted by witness on Friday, July 29, 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family is approached near their forest cabin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 1993

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: June

STATE: Oregon

COUNTY: Clackamas County

LOCATION DETAILS: At our cabin on Still Creek Rd. Lot 18. Outside

Rhododendron.

NEAREST TOWN: Rhododendron

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 26

OBSERVED: About 11 years ago, my fiance and I had a cabin on Mt. Hood in Oregon state. We were in the roofing business and I was sorting out some cedar shakes outside the cabin. I had my Rottweiler tied to a tree. She started growling and looking towards the forest. I looked up and saw something big and hairy step from tree to tree. They

have huge cedars in there. It did not register at first what I was seeing, so I yelled for whatever was in there to leave or I would turn the dog loose. It stepped behind another tree and kept doing so repeatedly.

I finally called my kids and told them to come out and keep an eye on this thing while I got my work done. (I usually have a Mossberger seni-auto matic shotgun - I did not this day). It was moving in closer and then my boyfriend pulled up and it was gone. It was then that I realized it wasn't a bear we were watching.

ALSO NOTICED: In winter we found large barefoot tracks in the snow. Would smell a really rotten smell like something dead and come out later and the smell would be gone. The dogs would sit and just stare at the woods. Would hear weird animal noises like a growl and howl together.

OTHER WITNESSES: 3. My 11 year old daughter, my 11 year old step-

son, and myself. They were in the cabin, I was outside sorting shingles.

OTHER STORIES: Yes, the manager of the motel in Rhododendron was hiking with her very large dog and it went after something and dissappeared. They followed the tracks where the prints just stopped like someone picked the dog up which this dog was too big for. Hours later it came home all bloody. It was not bleeding and did not have a mark on it where it fought something.

There have been many stories around that particular hiking trail.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Late afternoon. Sunny day.

ENVIRONMENT: Evergreen forest with large, old-growth cedars.

8 miles below the summit (Government camp).

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

The witness described the animal as hairy, bipedal and between 6 1/2' and 7' tall. It was 100 to 150 feet from the witness and appeared to try to get closer to the "action," while at the same time trying to stay out of sight behind trees. It left at an accelerated walk or trot.

The family repeatedly heard "weird" sounds, a combination of "yodel and growl." The witness also commented on the abrupt appearance and disappearance of the rotten aroma.

In addition, the witness mentioned that one evening they heard three police reports on their scanner which referred to an "alien" standing on the road near Rhododendron. One motorist claimed to have collided with the figure.

About BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

Hair analysis since 1965. Field work since 1989. Sasquatch courses given in Oregon and Arizona (3-10 weeks duration); Published in Cryptozoology.

Explanation of the report classification system

Submit a report for the sightings database

Please send any comments or inquiries to Contact@BFRO.net

Copyright © 2010 BFRO.net

12 gauge slug or maybe a .460 Weatherby Magnum.

The .460 would be the best bet. A 500 grain bullet moving at 2,600+ fps. Plus it has better range than a 12 gauge slug would have. The shotgun would be better for close in, just in case the .460 does not do the job properly.

*edited for typo*

Edited by Sean V

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Georgerm, I think this is a good topic. With enough time in the field it seems more likely there will be a sighting made. Although I won't discuss my own personal sightings there are a few things I'd like to contribute to anyone heading out in the wilderness in search of large primates.

It's really more of a list of don't rather than a list of what to do.

1. First thing is don't go out into the wilderness alone. This is a safety thing of course. Everyone should have a buddy to go trekking with. This lessens the chance that you'll disappear without a trace. And remember to prepare for a wilderness trek, bring your compass, food, water, a lighter, etc. Maps of the area would be a good idea as well. GPS is cool but we Don't want to rely on it as our only source of info to tell us where we are or which way to go.

2. Don't go into the wilderness without some form of protection. This is completely up to the individual of course. Some feel bear spray is enough, some carry a handgun, a knife, etc..when we enter the wilderness we're in the territory of wild animals and although we've all seen the nature shows that show wild animals as serene parts of nature, remember that nature is also a violent place. A bear or mountain lion would have no problem whatsoever killing you and having you for dinner. So I personally carry a large caliber handgun to prevent such things from happening. At the least it gives me a small sence of security and that can be important to the mindset later.

3. Chances are if we see one of these creatures it's not going to be a face to face encounter. They hide from us. They'll more than likely have heard us coming from a long way off but sometimes instead of bugging out, they'll hide to hang around and get a better look at us "man animals" So we may have stopped to catch our breath and we feel a quiver at the back of our neck or goosebumps, we Don't want to ignore this. It's our long forgotten instincts telling us we're not alone. So after a quick look around we notice a creature behind a tree or behind a brush peering at us. Don't react and Don't acknowledge we see it. Look somewhere else for a few seconds. Remember our hairy friend is hiding, if we blow his cover by acknowledging we see him, we're forcing him to react in some way. After all, they're wild animals and who knows what may happen or how they will react? So, we Don't look directly at the creature. We Don't stop talking if we were having a discussion with our trekking buddy at the same time we notice the creature. We keep the conversation going and try to prepare our buddy to not react if he has not noticed the creature yet. We can say stuff like: "OK (insert trekking buddy's name here), We're not alone so Don't panic and Don't react. There's one in the bush at our 2 o'clock and he's looking directly at us. I'll start looking behind us if you wanna glance over at our 2 o'clock for a second. Just keep talking and don't let him know you see him."

4. Next is we try to control our fear, this is really hard to do because this is truly a frightening experience but we Don't run away. Running away does 2 bad things, one, it lets the creature know we see it which forces a reaction, and two, it may trigger a chase reflex in the creature and that could be bad for us. A chase reflex is associated with "predator/game" behavior, so if we trigger the reflex by running away, we've automatically put ourselves into the "game" side of that behavior. A creature will likely be confused by this as humans are not normally game for them but if we start the reflex it may likely give chase.

5. If we have a camera and raise it to take a pic, we don't point directly at the creature, this will acknowledge we see it, and that forces a reaction from the creature, so we point the cam off to the side as if we're just taking a pic or a tree to the left or the right of the creature's location and we make other pics nowhere near the creature as well. (like if the creature was at our 2 o'clock, we make most of our pics at the 9 o'clock position so he can watch us focus the majority of our attention somewhere else, maybe this will help the creature feel more secure.

6. End the encounter, Don't stay there for an inordinate amount of time. Take 30 or 45 seconds or so of observation and move on. Walk away normally, still having that conversation with your trekking buddy.

7. Don't start a chase. If we start a chase we force the creature to react. If we start a chase, at the very least we ensure we'll NEVER have another encounter in this area. So we Don't chase after them. Two words that we should remember are RESPECTFUL OBSERVATION. This is probably not all the Don't statements we should follow but I think if we follow along these lines we'll have more productive encounters. Chris B.

8. Don't shoot. (I'm adding this one as optional of course.) If you do decide to shoot , you better have a good plan put together in advance of exactly how you're getting out of there alive with evidence. Something to keep in mind is you'll likely end up shooting more than one creature before you make it out. If you have any plans at all to shoot one, have a good plan put together in advance, study some anatomy of gorillas and learn where best to place your shots. The creatures seem peaceful enough but it you kill a family member, it's likely everyone in the family group will try to rip your head off your shoulders. Chris B.

• masterbarber locked this topic