Examples Of Dogs Unafraid Of Bf

Just as a continuation of a conversation we were having in another thread, I thought I would post a few examples I have found of dogs that did not show a fear response to a purported sasquatch. I have not searched the internet for any sources, I am just reading a book called "The Historical Bigfoot" by Chard Arment, and I have come across some accounts in it. I will give a synopsis of some of the accounts in order to keep from violating the copyright laws, and I won't list nearly all of them. It may take me a while, too, as I have not read very much of the book at all yet.

1) Not from the book, but on a Monsterquest episode, someone in Louisiana called 911 after hitting a tall hairy bipedal figure with a car. A search and rescue team with tracking dogs was dispatched in addition to the normal emergency personnel. The dogs picked up the scent and tracked the creature deep into the swamp until they lost the scent in the water.

2) John Green, The Apes Among Us Albert Petka of Nulato, AK was attacked by a reported BF on his boat. His dogs drove the creature off, but Mr. Petka later died of his injuries.

3) In 1856, a party of hunters on the Upper Red River in Arkansas pursued what was referred to as the Wild Giant, which had been seen in the region for quite some time. The hunters pursued the creature, which was described as a tall, hair-covered bipedal creature with 13" tracks, with hounds, but lost its trail when it crossed a frozen bayou.

4) In 1868, a hair-covered, bipedal creature was pursued by hunters with hounds after terrorizing people in Meadville, MS. The hounds chased the creature Westward to the banks of the Mississippi River, where they bayed it. When the hunters got there, they urged the dogs onward, and the dogs tried to catch it (dogs are commonly used to catch wild hogs, etc.). The creature killed one of the dogs, and the men began to fire at it, at which time it lept into the river and swam for the other side. It should be noted that the river is very wide at this point.

This is as far as I have read so far. I actually skipped ahead to read the reports from Mississippi, because I live there, lol. I am about to start on British Columbia. I'll post more as I get to them. Keep in mind that these will all be old reports, as the premise of this book is such.

Edited by Surveyor

Guest crowe

The common factor with three of your four examples is that the dogs are used in hunting or tracking. My personal experience was that the dog accompanying us became very upset after we came across a sight.

Guest TooRisky

yeah I don't think it is a hard written rule that dogs have to afraid of BF... There have been many a dog that lit after a BF to never be seen alive again though... I would have to say that BF does not activly search out dogs, so it is like when a fearless dog does not know when he is beat, till it is too late...

The common factor with three of your four examples is that the dogs are used in hunting or tracking. My personal experience was that the dog accompanying us became very upset after we came across a sight.

I was asked in another thread to post some reports of dogs hunting or pursuing sasquatches where the dogs did not flee in fear or show a fear response. Before the thread ended, we pretty much smoothed things over, and I forgot about it. As I was reading in the book I mentioned in the opening post in this thread today though, I thought, "What the heck, maybe some folks will find this interesting too," and decided to post some examples anyway. Plus, I like the old sasquatch reports anyway. The frontiersmen weren't as easily frightened as people are today, and they many times pursued the "wildmen" if for no other reason than to see what they were.

Shawn- Does the text read which breeds of dogs they were?

The dogs in the recent incident in Louisiana were bloodhounds. The dogs in the AK incident were not identified, but I would assume they were a breed common to that region, such as huskies, malamutes, etc. As far as the dogs in the other two incidents (AR & MS) they are simply listed as hounds, which to me would imply some breed of hunting dog, most likely red bones, walkers, blue tics, or something of the like. In Meadeville, MS, using Catahoula Curs is very probable, as they are very hardy and powerful, and are the oldest dog breed in America aside from Native American created dog breeds. They are used quite often to this very day to hunt and catch wild hogs.

Guest BigfootHuntress

The majority of the encounters I have read that involved dogs, turned the most fearless dogs into fraidy cats. LOL

I believe that the breed and personality of the dog will make a lot of difference in how they respond to a BF. I can picture my JRT biting into a BF's ankle and not letting go. :)

Examples 1, 3 and 4 - these hunting/tracking dogs would be much braver than just one acting alone, so it's not surprising that a pack would actively chase after one and attack it.

Example 2 - this BF attacked the man and naturally his dogs would have come to his aid. This seems to have been a fight or die situation. I would love to read this story for myself.

I can picture my JRT biting into a BF's ankle and not letting go. :)

Those ankle biters are more ferocious than a lot of the bigger dogs! Lol

Example 2 - this BF attacked the man and naturally his dogs would have come to his aid. This seems to have been a fight or die situation. I would love to read this story for myself.

I would like to read all of that one myself as well. The book I am reading just referenced the story from John Green's book. I'll have to get that one pretty soon.

Guest BigfootHuntress

Surveyor knows how to keep us all in suspense! LOL!

I Googled Albert Petka, http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/the_bigfoot_blatt_issue_1_page.html

"Others include the stories of the Bushman in Alaska. Albert Petka and John Meyer both report encounters with monkey men who attacked in twos and threes and had to be driven off by their dogs. Meyer even died later of internal bleeding."

I wonder if there is anything more out there about this encounter.

The dogs in the recent incident in Louisiana were bloodhounds. The dogs in the AK incident were not identified, but I would assume they were a breed common to that region, such as huskies, malamutes, etc. As far as the dogs in the other two incidents (AR & MS) they are simply listed as hounds, which to me would imply some breed of hunting dog, most likely red bones, walkers, blue tics, or something of the like. In Meadeville, MS, using Catahoula Curs is very probable, as they are very hardy and powerful, and are the oldest dog breed in America aside from Native American created dog breeds. They are used quite often to this very day to hunt and catch wild hogs.

Hunting dogs can be trained to hunt anything.

Guest MidnightWalkerSE

My dogs were not afraid after they came to know the bigfoot. Initially they were on guard and sometimes whimpering. Both dogs were not barking dogs and were fairly gentle. Each time they were scared and cowered, I asked the sas to be kind to them or show them kindness. Within minutes the dogs were fine. I think the ones near my house liked my dogs but the ones in the forest area tolerated them. They liked to run a lot and probably put the sas on edge a bit or got on their nerves. All in all the sas never bothered them.

Fearless=stupid.

Fearless doesn't equal stupid if you can back it up. I hate to ask, BuzzardEater, as I would rather be friends with everyone, but do you have something positive to add to the conversation, or did you just come in to troll? I welcome intelligent dialogue!