Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

Nomads you know. Smell like cabbage.

Small hands....

Unlike 'squatches. Wait, did I just prove that sasquatches (sasquattle?) can't be carnies?

Sometimes the woods freak the crap out of me, and I freak the crap out of myself, but being an easterner, I can't say the sasquatch is the first thing on my mind that could "get me" in the woods. People, though, are scary, and freaky people have a habit of passing by, out of nowhere, in the woods sometimes...even in the middle of nowhere.

No, thoughts of a Sasquatch being close by does not ruin my fun in the wilderness.

My concerns while out in the woods are more centered on Grizzly Bears & the other bipedal creatures that may be in the area. People are far more dangerous, unpredictable, & cruel than a Sasquatch could be, at least in my opinion. These things do not (always) go looking for trouble, the majority of intoxicated people seem to excel at doing this.

*typo*

Edited by Sean V

I was exploring a section of remote woods earlier this year where my son and I had our first encounter while night fishing about 8 years ago. Being retired law enforcement, I never go anywhere without legally carrying a means of protection. It saved my life in this situation. I encourage any law biding citizen to take advantage of the concealed handgun licenses many states afford.

While making my way along the creek, three Pit Bull dogs came crashing out of the brush about 100 yards away. They tracked my scent and charged me at 50 yards. There was no where to run, climb or hide. Without even thinking, I had my 45 ACP out and a quick double tap in front of them instantly turned them back. They fled one way while I ran the opposite direction and didn't stop til I got to my pickup along the highway.

You must always be prepared for the unexpected. I never would have thought of encountering a group of feral dogs, but without my pistol, I would have been their helpless chew toy.

Always expect the unexpected, be prepared for a serious defense if you are alone out there. Sadly, this also includes a small number of humans....

Why did you not kill the three of them?

Some poor sap may get set apon by them and have no protection.

I still love to be in the woods. I guess i would be lying if i said i didn't have the big guy in the back of my mind though. But i guess there has never been any real evidence of anyone being hurt by one. or if they were know one made it back to tell about it. lol. And i guess if he wants to make me gone it will not last that long with the size of the one i saw. So i say... get out in the woods, enjoy what God has given us, and let the big guy do what he wants. ;)

You are so right and we should enjoy nature and not allow fear to ruin our fun.

The Indians had forest areas they considered their territory and yet they knew BF dominated other areas, and they feared going there. When we go into high remote hills, where BFs have been reported, then we are asking for an encounter. There are many reports of BF becoming hostile when intruders wander into their immediated domain, where their nest and young might be hiding. How many missing hiker reports are out there?

by Eric Adams & Erica Heartquist

krem.com

Posted on March 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Gallery

.See all 9 photos »

PORTLAND, Ore. --

A suspect was reportedly flashing others on the Pacific Crest Trail the same day a 24-year-old Portland woman was thought to have headed there for a day hike, Skamania County officials reported Tuesday.

http://www.krem.com/news/northwest-news/Missing-hikers-father-joins-Gorge-search-87164372.html

Edited by georgerm

What is it about BF that creeps out people? You know what a bear will do to you but BF seems to enjoy keeping its prey guessing. The unknown seems to keep me on edge. They sneak around camp, watch you, then throw stuff.............it's not a physical fear but psychological intimidation.

I'm just going to add that when I head "something" picking up and SMELLING my stuff.....It was like I had a choice. I could make trouble or just go back to sleep. If I had thought it was raccoons I woulda screamed bloody murder. They make a MESS.

But when I woke up in the middle of the night I could hear something smelling, deep inhales. I could hear it picking up and putting back down items on the table....Pick it up....SMELL it...put it back down. The audio didn't pick that part up but I was awake when it was happening and I was in my tent and gosh dang it, the rain fly was closed! I went back to sleep, and just hoped that the audio picked up what I was hearing.

The audio DID pick up part of what I was hearing, but it's important to me to remember that I never felt threatened. I don't know for sure what was out there, but something was. Something that was not a raccoon that can work a zipper.

Guest TooRisky

Pit bulls in the woods sounds more like an illegal pot grow area.

The 1911 is a great firearm Colossus. I typically care a 1911 .45 in town and a Ruger Blackhawk .44M in the woods.

Funny you mention Illegal pot growing... my research buddy down in OR. has told me of growers being chased out of their own fields, of plants being pulled out of the ground and the leaves and buds stripped and eaten... then the stalks nicely laid in a straight pile.... Now a stoned BF, is well an interesting thought....

Guest Grazhopprr

I used to go out in the Cascades, alone, all the time. Just me and the van or the jeep, for the whole weekend. But, cougar and bear populations are exploding out there now. Griz tracks seen on Mt. Rainier. Grow plots have always been out there, but I've never run into one. I've stayed on the logging roads, out of the deep stuff. Don't own a gun, though I was NRA through my teens with lots of trophies. Never felt totally safe out there, animals or humans. Just part of the animal kingdom, and how you handle it. It's not Disney Land by any means. Some people just wander around in a daze of tree hugging and daisy picking. I don't get that. Ignorance is bliss, till your name is on the local news. Took 300 years to clear the woods of the large carnivores. Now they're back with a vengence. Environmentalist radicals don't want us out there in the first place, so they sneak the large carnivores back in, trying to bring America back to it's former state before humans. Rediculous concept, imo. Park systems advertise camping and hiking, then bring back the carnivores. BF is far from the biggest fear anyone needs to consider. Environmentalist radicals are more dangerous, for hikers or campers.

:lol: I love it.

No, I am not afraid of BF, but I am afraid methheads and psychos that seem to like the solitude of the forest as much as I do. Animals want to eat you, protect their young, or get away from you...I can deal with that...people on the other hand, cannot be trusted.

This is how I feel as well. I'm not worried about BF or much else out in the woods when I go hiking, but the pot farms and meth labs in the middle of no where worry me a lot.

Guest TooRisky

Well whether it be meth heads, pot growers or frigging those flying monkeys I am always armed when I go into the solitude of the forest... Thankfully I have never had to draw it from its holster in fear or anger... Knocking on wood...

I used to love going out into the woods alone. Now I am just not too crazy about it. Large family campouts are the extent of what I can take. :(

I used to love going out into the woods alone. Now I am just not too crazy about it. Large family campouts are the extent of what I can take. :(

Is this because you fear an encounter with BF? You will be just fine with bear pepper spray and some companions. The woods have always lurked with distant danger and I believe BF to be mostly timid along with bears. We have a far greater chance of being hurt in a car crash than by a wild animal. My goal is to overcome fear and to enjoy the woods.

Hmmm. My fear came so gradually that I am not sure exactly WHEN I couldnt enjoy the woods alone anymore.:/

I would say that yes, it is at least partially because of BF,bears,cougars etc. though logically that makes no sense as I feel as much time as I used to spend walking and just enjoying nature, well, there was ample opportunity for harm to occur and I never worried about it before.

I still love the woods, just not by myself or with a few people.:/

Hm, saying you're more likely to be injured in a car accident than by an agressive animal is true, but misleading. I liken it to the statistics that say flying is safer than driving. Statistically, sure. However we spend so much more time in our cars that the likelihood of injury increases with ever trip to the grocery store. We are (on average) spending far less time flying or taking solo excursions into the woods alone.

I'd also like to point out the chances of survival in the occurance of a plane crash are far less than in a car. Kind of like being in an accident as opposed to having a larger, faster, more powerful animal coming after you with the intent to cause harm and/or take your life. I don't have statistics, but I'm fairly sure this is accurate.

Also you could have been in the woods a million times but never shared the area you were in with a cougar. All it takes is one time. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just be aware that just because you've been there before plenty of times doesn't make it safe. How many people went to work on September 11th, 2001 and thought they were absolutly safe in their office?

Again, I'm not saying don't go into the woods. Just be prepared. Always be vigilant.

Edited by Colossus

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic