Minnesota Ice Man

Guest Central Pa

Guest brucescotland

Something Asian. The thumb gets me.

Frank Hansen convinced Peter Byrne and two filmmakers the story that he shot it himself was the true one. Heuvelmans believed it was smuggled out of Vietnam in a body bag.

If Hansen was involved in smuggling and displayed a real corpse he had reason to be paranoid about state and international laws. "It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you."

Hansen was incapable of telling the same story twice though? he changed it numerous times.... Im more inclined to beleive he (or somebody else) shot it while out hunting. Lloyd Pye's suspected version of events in "Everything we know is wrong" i would suspect is probably quite near the mark.

If he was covering himself he had reason to change his story several times.

The hands with the long opposed thumbs don't seem to be a match for purported sasquatch handprints and descriptions of a non-opposed thumb. It is close to a Russian cryptid. I posted the diagrams from Heuvelmans' book in this thread.

Not really, IMO. The MIM was an exhibit. Hansen didn't call any press conferences or try to pass off a frozen costume as the real deal. He said from the beginning he'd had a model made - he didn't try to conceal that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Georgia boys didn't get some of their inspiration from it though.

I think Hansen was telling the truth. I just don't know about what. ;)

Guest JiggyPotamus

Judging just by the first pictures, there are a few attributes of the face that are congruent for a sasquatch. For instance, the deep-set eyes, the heavy brow, the large nose, the greater distance between the top lip and the bottom of the nose, and the longer lips. That is an incredible inclusion if this was a hoax.

This leads me to believe that if he very well could have had a model made. Then it comes down to whether you trust those who claimed they initially saw it...The "real" one. This is one of those stories that I am not so quick to dismiss, as some others are. It is incorrect to assume that just because of the circus/exhibit environment it must be fake. The whole reason that the entire US and Canadian population doesn't know what I myself, as well as others on this board, know to be fact, is because they assume that we could not miss a population of large, hairy bipeds in our backyard.

There are also assumptions that we should have more and better evidence, when we know next to nothing about the animal, and do posses a plethora of evidence but it isn't all in one place or community, therefore isn't accessible to all. So I say the iceman may have been a bigfoot, and that if the iceman was actually real, then it probably was a bigfoot.

Guest Darrell

It was in all probability a carnival fake. There was a great episode of Monster Talk that delt with the MIM.

Guest brucescotland

Mulder- please accept my apologies, i realise this topic has probably been thrashed to death previously, but im still fairly new to the forums and havent managed to go back through all the threads- and as ive said previously this was the story that got me hooked when i was a kid, still facinates me.

Kitakaze - The photos of the thawed out iceman in 2002? where did they come from? that isnt the original surely? didnt that vanish and be replaced by a comic book model (im trying to source the pic i saw- was laughable).

Also do you think it was possible for Sanderson and Huevelmans to be so easily fooled? they both described the smell off rotting flesh, and strands of bodily fluid, and blood tendrils leaking out??

Kitakaze - The photos of the thawed out iceman in 2002? where did they come from? that isnt the original surely? didnt that vanish and be replaced by a comic book model (im trying to source the pic i saw- was laughable).

The photos are taken by a man named Rick West and were published in his book Pickled Punks and Girlie Shows: A Life Spent On the Midways of America when he visited Frank Hansen in 2002. LAL scanned them from her copy. That is not a replica made to look like an original dead body. That's all he ever had and it's the same fake and same case being looked at by Sanderson and Heuvelmans in the photos above. The MIM was a hoax and never anything more than a hoax designed for the sole purpose of making money for Hansen. MIM is perfect example of how in Bigfootery, we can get hoax proof and it will ping right off of many. Clinging to fantasies and hoaxer enablement is a problem we need to address.

Also do you think it was possible for Sanderson and Huevelmans to be so easily fooled? they both described the smell off rotting flesh, and strands of bodily fluid, and blood tendrils leaking out??

Absolutely, yes...

02.jpg

Tony_1.jpg

This is the book...

RW-Book.3.jpg

Guest Crowlogic

I saw the MIM a number of times as it was on display at the mall where I worked then. What I saw was NOT the same entity that was shown in Argosy magazine in 1969? The Argosy entity bore a resemblance to the the comic character Ally Oop. The entity I saw somehow looked strangely oriental or SE Asian.

Guest Tontar

So it looks like the MIM was a conjured up idea, complete with a believable back story to support it, like most mysteries have. Hansen comes up with the exhibit, and the story, and a list of people within that story. S and H examine the exhibit that is frozen in ice, write a scientific paper about a creature that they can't even touch physically, but can only observe by peering through ice. They want it really bad, make threats to get it, the exhibit goes underground for a bit, then resurfaces, deepening the mystery. Much later it turns up thawed out, as a fake, and instead of realizing it is a fake some people maintain that it had originally been real but the original was disposed of and replaced with the fake. This is what Kit is talking about when describing enablers, people who when confronted with the reality of a hoax develop a new story to separate the hoax form a different reality prior to the hoax.

How would that be applied to the Georgia boys' hoax? Are people too jaded, or too selective to give them the same opportunity to have had the real deal, but when it came down to parting with it they decided to hide the real bigfoot and replace it with a fake bigfoot suit? maybe the Georgia boys really had a real bigfoot in a freezer, but started to get scared about potential liability for having a dead semi-human, so to save themselves from feared prison time, they decided to swap the bigfoot out of the freezer and replace it with a hoaxed suit, because public embarrassment and getting fired form your job is always better than doing jail time for possessing and possibly killing a human-like thing. I don't know, maybe someone ought to go sniffing around the Georgia sheds to see if that iced bigfoot there is still on ice! ;-)

Guest Tontar

Oops! So it looks like the MIM was a conjured up idea, complete with a believable back story to support it, like most mysteries have. Hansen comes up with the exhibit, and the story, and a list of people within that story. S and H examine the exhibit that is frozen in ice, write a scientific paper about a creature that they can't even touch physically, but can only observe by peering through ice. They want it really bad, make threats to get it, the exhibit goes underground for a bit, then resurfaces, deepening the mystery. Much later it turns up thawed out, as a fake, and instead of realizing it is a fake some people maintain that it had originally been real but the original was disposed of and replaced with the fake. This is what Kit is talking about when describing enablers, people who when confronted with the reality of a hoax develop a new story to separate the hoax form a different reality prior to the hoax.

How would that be applied to the Georgia boys' hoax? Are people too jaded, or too selective to give them the same opportunity to have had the real deal, but when it came down to parting with it they decided to hide the real bigfoot and replace it with a fake bigfoot suit? maybe the Georgia boys really had a real bigfoot in a freezer, but started to get scared about potential liability for having a dead semi-human, so to save themselves from feared prison time, they decided to swap the bigfoot out of the freezer and replace it with a hoaxed suit, because public embarrassment and getting fired form your job is always better than doing jail time for possessing and possibly killing a human-like thing. I don't know, maybe someone ought to go sniffing around the Georgia sheds to see if that iced bigfoot there is still on ice! ;-)

I saw the MIM a number of times as it was on display at the mall where I worked then. What I saw was NOT the same entity that was shown in Argosy magazine in 1969? The Argosy entity bore a resemblance to the the comic character Ally Oop. The entity I saw somehow looked strangely oriental or SE Asian.

I wonder if they made several of them in order to tour them around the country and hit more venues? You know, there are numerous Blue Man Groups now, as well as the Aussie Puppetry of the ... guys, situated in various places.

MIM happened in the halycon days of the golden era of Bigfoot. Georgia Boys happened in the scuzzy disposable culture of reality tv and Youtube. It was born and died and resurrected on the Internet. With MIM, you have the suit and ping, off it goes off the teflon of nostalgia.

The photos of the thawed out iceman in 2002? where did they come from? that isnt the original surely? didnt that vanish and be replaced by a comic book model (im trying to source the pic i saw- was laughable).

Here's the source:

http://www.amazon.com/Pickled-Punks-Girlie-Shows-Midways/dp/0764337033/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334790530&sr=8-1

I have some pictures scanned from Heuvelmans' and Bayanov's books I'll post when I find them.

I don't think two men trained in zoology and on the lookout for a carny gaff were fooled. Hansen still had the display he used in shopping malls when Rick West visited him. His memory was failing and he died soon after.

There was much discussion on it here.