Is The Skookum Cast Still Considered To Be A Potential Bigfoot Lay?

So how does that series of slides explain the "heel slide" and "butt mark"

I think the excerpt from Thom Powell'so book explained the situation quite well.

Using this scenario we are supposed to believe that a sasquatch knowingly approached a "trap"

Understood to not allow their footprints to be left in the mud, but thought nothing about leaving a body print, hand print and hair patterns in that same trap

All the while elk prints were found in the surrounding area 

The hair patterns on the "butt imprint" (in the "heel slide" photo) was said to be an exact match to the hair patterns in the Skookum cast but that has yet to be demonstrated.

Similarly, it is uncertain (i.e. no visual confirmation) that the creature that made the marks in the comparison pic was a Bigfoot. If they do indeed match then it may well be because the creatures that caused both the Skookum imprint and the comparison marks pic were actually elk...

SSR Team
5 hours ago, MagniAesir said:

So how does that series of slides explain the "heel slide" and "butt mark"

I think the excerpt from Thom Powell'so book explained the situation quite well.

Using this scenario we are supposed to believe that a sasquatch knowingly approached a "trap"

Understood to not allow their footprints to be left in the mud, but thought nothing about leaving a body print, hand print and hair patterns in that same trap

All the while elk prints were found in the surrounding area 

Yeah for sure, I don't personally see it difficult to understand that a higher primate has the ability to implement an attempt to hide its presence, and be kind of successful.

Most especially one that I've seen with my own eyes that has avoided detection for as long as it has.

Because of that, I can accept this completely.

Still doesn't mean I'm sold on this cast fully, but I can understand this idea totally.

Then we will agree to disagree, I see nothing in that cast, much less the story behind the cast that would lead me to believe that a sasquatch did that.

I have personally seen an cow elk get up out of a wallow without leaving a print inside of the body impression (she did leave slide marks though), but I did see tracks outside the wallow

Actually to be fully factual I saw the elk in the wallow, saw her boyfriend and as I stalked closer to get a better shot at him I went around behind a tree.

Anot her elk that I didn't see, saw me and they all took off, so I didn't actually see her get up, but I did see her rump dissappear in the distance 

I would be more inclined to believe in a solo footprint, because I have found single tracks of many animals caused no doubt by stepping into a small puddle 

SSR Team
8 hours ago, MagniAesir said:

Then we will agree to disagree, I see nothing in that cast, much less the story behind the cast that would lead me to believe that a sasquatch did that.

We wasn't really talking about the cast though Mag, we were talking about the possibility of why this animal would possibly attempt to conceal evidence of its being there but i think this whole subject can be summed up by this.

If you've seen one, you can accept any possibility of these animals doing practically anything including concealing its own existence.

If you haven't, then anything and everything has got a question mark over it, and rightly so.

When I said the story behind it I was including the story of sasquatch avoiding the expeditions trail cameras, as well as their avoidance of the mud trap

According to Thom Powell in his book "The Locals" they set the fruit in the mud trap because the sasquatch knew to avoid the camera traps.

So I was talking about the larger point of sasquatch recognizing and avoiding man made traps of any sort

On this point we can agree to disagree 

• 2 weeks later...

To those who are concerned.  I just have not had the time to get into the storage boxes to find the "hair" photos.  Sorry.  That is on my list.  Joe

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Happy Thanksgiving to you Joe, I know how it is, I'm still looking for a tree bow picture of the top embedded in the ground on an old machine. 

Had a great conference in Ocean Shores, wished you were there, but you probably knew most of the info anyway. 

I did get to meet Rick Noll at the conference and talk to him briefly.  He wasn't too talkative but listened to a few things I ran by him. He says he is "laying low"  so maybe his eyes are on the prize.   I had to laugh when he said he was "laying low" because Johnnie the MC at the podium brought loud attention to him and pointed him out in the corner of the room where he was hiding out.  

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron
On 11/11/2016 at 0:33 PM, BobbyO said:

We wasn't really talking about the cast though Mag, we were talking about the possibility of why this animal would possibly attempt to conceal evidence of its being there but i think this whole subject can be summed up by this.

If you've seen one, you can accept any possibility of these animals doing practically anything including concealing its own existence.

If you haven't, then anything and everything has got a question mark over it, and rightly so.

1 minute ago, bipedalist said:

This was talked about at the conference how they will walk logs and jump from place to place to avoid leaving footprint evidence

Edited by bipedalist

I'm wondering if it's to not leave evidence but more to step on known solid objects when and where possible. Depending on what kind of foot unpleasantness was experienced by different creatures the tendency to hop onto things like logs, rocks, and other structures might be more of something learned while growing up after a foot injury.

Along that thought, a coupe of years ago I was in woods in the winter and hit quite a few hollow places in the snow and ended up with one leg knee deep or more because of holes next to fallen trees that were buried in the snow. It would make sense then that Sasquatch that grew up in snow country might avoid winter travel where possible or otherwise end up learning to tread on hard surfaces rather than open ground. Following logs where convenient or other surfaces that provide better support for such a heavy animal. It also may be a learned hunting habit that helps assure quiet travel. So rather than going down the covering up of tracks idea maybe some of these other points could be closer to why they are reported to use hard surfaces.

And it's obvious that they don't always do that as there's been plenty of casts made in softer material. 

Edited by hiflier

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion on the Skookum cast is that an animal intelligent enough to go out of its way to not leave footprints, is also intelligent enough to know better than to leave a huge body print, and potentially also hair and other sign, from lying down in the mud.  Moreover, an animal this intelligent would probably also be capable of tool use, and would have been intelligent enough to use a stick to roll the bait out of the muddy area. 

Thinking about this in the past has made me go from thinking that the cast is likely a Bigfoot imprint to being fully undecided and thinking I could go either way.  It is necessary for those supporting the hypothesis that the cast is a Bigfoot imprint to defend the plausibility of their scenario more fully.

Hi All!

I apologize for not scouring the last 70 pages, but a quick question.

Were there footprints in the mud hole from the folks that left the bait?  

BFF Patron

My gut feeling on the cast that it is likely not a BF.     First of all they are by all accounts very fussy on what they eat.   Apples laying on the ground are not going to be touched.    If they wanted apples in Washington they would go to apple orchards and gorge themselves picking them off the trees.     The other factor I have seen many times is that they go to great lengths not to even step in mud.  I cannot imagine them laying in a mud wallow to get apples.   That could be attributed to fastidiousness on their part or just an extreme dedication to avoiding leaving any trace of their presence.  If you were covered with hair or fur would you lie in the mud?   I wear clothes and I would not do that for apples.   Several of my footprint finds are a BF stepping over a muddy human trail to avoid leaving a footprint on the trail.   Another explanation, and I am very serious about this, is that they are great jokers or tricksters.      I can just imagine some young BF male seeing the apples wanting to stir things up in the final hours of a human expedition looking for them.   It is pretty much the style of some I younger ones I have encountered to do this sort of things to get the humans going.   .    Some really like to mess with us.  

When I look at the people involved in the Skookum cast and compare what I know about their specific interests and qualifications, then weigh that against the lack of comparable qualifications on the part of people doing the criticizing (and even scoffing) and the outright foolishness many of the "opponent" counter-explanations, for the time being, I will stick with it being as-claimed, a bigfoot lay.   (Randy - I think your interpretation as a possible prank adds an interesting twist, certainly within the realm of possibility and more than adequate to nullify most criticisms.)   At this point, given the lack of relevant qualifications among the people doing the scoffing, about the only thing that would change my mind on this is if Thom Powell, Rick Noll, and Derek Randles all came forward to say they made a mistake, explain their mistake, and offer a better counter explanation. 

MIB

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

It would just be the style of some of the trickster juveniles/young adults around to try to get to the apples without leaving telltale footprints.    After all that was the intent of the humans that put the apples in the mud in the first place.    That trickster incentive could have been enough motivation get muddy to retrieve the apples without leaving footprints.  The more I think about this the more sense it makes given evidence present in the cast.   I do not think Meldrum gives BF enough credit for intelligence.    He is so into lack of cultural artifacts defining their intelligence that he blows off their own form of brilliance.   If they were as dumb as he maintains, the BF there would have walked into the mud, picked up the apples, and walked away leaving footprints like every other dumb animal in the woods.       The fact that that did not happen means one of two things.    A BF was not present to make the cast or one was present who went to extraordinary trouble to retrieve the apple without clear sign it was there.    You cannot claim that happened but then ignore the effort and intelligence to avoid leaving the footprints.    It would have been a challenge for a human to retrieve the apples without leaving a sign.  

Edited by SWWASAS

• masterbarber unpinned this topic