Is The Skookum Cast Still Considered To Be A Potential Bigfoot Lay?

scottv & norseman :  Nice posts.  200 meters way too close; think about 650' without calculator / 5280 in mile.  From living on ranch, and also having deer and elk use our mineral blocks, have a reasonably good idea of spacing, but suggest you call a ranch supply store and ask their recommendation for mineral block spacing; or maybe it's on the web.  Depends on rain, etc.  Part of what happens is the salt leaches down and when the block is gone and the cows out of the pasture, they will attack the soil for trace amounts.  Have seen "substantial" holes. 

Also your state F&W might set out mineral blocks.  F&W hell on them as bow hunter baits, but maybe they will give you a spacing suggestion if properly approached. 

Finally, where set the game camera?  Say allow for time blocks when animals, and various animals approach vs. sun in sky. 

Just for fun, say dedicated Bigfooter approaches mineral block in National Forest to retrieve trail cam.  Just for fun, what would be your reaction when a USFS law enforcement officer walks out of the brush and asks if you put the block out, and waves a trail cam he's confiscated.   "Is this your camera?"   Tap dancing on forest duff leaves no sound, or very little.   

200 meters was just for example. Not sure on what spacing but as with all things bigfoot you'd have to guess based on other animal models (grizzly bear? gorillas?) or what your best guess on what bigfoot biology is. I'd agree 200m is too close. Also maybe try to focus in the vicinity of a river or what you think might be a draw for bigfoot.

2-3

The ranch is roughly 2 miles long.

A new one I've played with is taking a jar of peanut butter and screwing the lid to a tree. And cutting the bottom out of the jar. You then screw the jar to the lid and creating a peanut lick.

But mostly deer blocks from the feed store.

Great idea with the peanut butter jar! Any chance you could do more bait stations? If you can only have a few stations then it would be better to run them for a long time. If you did this over a number of years you could index the deer or elk population each year but dividing the number of animals documented by the number of trap nights/days. One trap set for one day/night is one trap night/day. So 10 traps/stations for 10 nights/days is 100 trapping nights/days. Obviously you'd rather index bigfoot populations but if you aren't getting any of those might be fun to monitor what you are getting.

Not really, the ranch is only 350 acres. To do more bait stations would require more land. Unfortunately I'm surrounded by private property.

And I only do them in winter. Otherwise the only animals I would be counting would be my cows and horses on the baits. :) They don't leave the barnyards in winter and eat hay.

Edited by norseman

On 4/19/2017 at 4:55 PM, scottv said:

The bait stations would be more attractive or stand out better in the winter too.

Likely so due to increased food demand verses supply.

• 4 weeks later...
SSR Team
On 4/19/2017 at 9:55 PM, scottv said:

The bait stations would be more attractive or stand out better in the winter too.

Absolutely, and the reports back that up too as reports from human habitations rise in the winter in certain colder states (WA for sure) than what other winter reports do, even driving.

Homesteads imo are bait stations.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 6:07 PM, joebeelart said:

scottv & norseman :  Nice posts.  200 meters way too close; think about 650' without calculator / 5280 in mile.  From living on ranch, and also having deer and elk use our mineral blocks, have a reasonably good idea of spacing, but suggest you call a ranch supply store and ask their recommendation for mineral block spacing; or maybe it's on the web.  Depends on rain, etc.  Part of what happens is the salt leaches down and when the block is gone and the cows out of the pasture, they will attack the soil for trace amounts.  Have seen "substantial" holes. 

Also your state F&W might set out mineral blocks.  F&W hell on them as bow hunter baits, but maybe they will give you a spacing suggestion if properly approached. 

Finally, where set the game camera?  Say allow for time blocks when animals, and various animals approach vs. sun in sky. 

Just for fun, say dedicated Bigfooter approaches mineral block in National Forest to retrieve trail cam.  Just for fun, what would be your reaction when a USFS law enforcement officer walks out of the brush and asks if you put the block out, and waves a trail cam he's confiscated.   "Is this your camera?"   Tap dancing on forest duff leaves no sound, or very little.   

I've always been told to never lie.

Unless the game warden asks, "where's your buddy?"

Hi FarArcher:  Took me a minute to figure it out, but then thought "he so funny." 

Will be posting on sightings notes by tomorrow.  As usual, wasn't there when the action happened a few days ago.  Had been up for a day, and then a night before, and then back ......

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this the site where they had to pick the elk hairs out to the cast/site......that would be a pretty good indication of the creature that made the impression.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic