How To Make Trail Cams Work For You

I've been thinking about different ways to camouflage cameras so that the BF don't smell them, nor see, or hear them.

My ideas are to mask the sound and smell of the cameras with odors native to the forest so that the animals do not smell, hear, nor see it.

First, Are the cameras waterproof? I would think that they would have to be if placed along game trails.

So, what I would do would be to have the cameras wrapped in something like vines with leaves and branches to obscure the shape of the camera's pole/stake, plus the camera itself, but I would have clean untouched saran wrap, use gloves to do this. Then I would add an odor that is typical to the forest, such as any animal feces that resides in the forest, or wrap the cameras with vines that would bare fruit; but it has to be something familiar to every creature . Human fecal material would not work, but bear, fox, or wolf fecal material would mask the camera's odor, as would leaves and vines with flowers blooming.I would wrap a piece of saran wrap along and around the cameras, then you could put mud over it which would also mask human and camera odors.

If the cameras are made to look and smell like something native to that area of the forest, then I think you would start getting pictures,but I would move the camera setups to a different place/location along the animal trail so that the animals will not be familiar with the placement of the camouflaged camera. If you can incorporate the camera and it's stake into vines,bushes,or trees and mask the human odor with natural forest smells then I think you will be more successful.

Collect animal dropping from the area, and smear it over the leaves, in fact, I would wrap and tape the *local* flora from the woods where the camera is placed.

Let me know what you guys/gals think! I'm sincerely hopeful that this idea of mine will work for you.. and will bear fruit. ;) I mean great pictures!

It sounds like a good plan if it can be put up with out being seen by them. If the cameras are put in their territory, that will be almost impossible to do. They know almost everything that is going on at all times.

BFF Patron

Not when packed with mud or poo?! :lol:

I'm pretty much convinced they can detect the electro-magnetic field (EMF) generated by such devices.

Many man made devices emit a very strong electromagnetic field such as electrical outlets and fuse boxes, computers, electrical wiring, television sets, air conditioning units, appliances and much more. Most of these electrical sources will give off high EMF readings as part of their normal operation. This does not seem to keep bigfoot away from peoples homes. Only ones with cameras.

Trail cameras are an excellent way to get some idea of whats coming around though. This has been proven time and time again with lone wolverines in the west and cougars in the east.

Edited by 127

. The smell of plastic makes them smell yummy to bears, so that is problem 1. Vines won't help.

The squatches can probably smell them and hear them. You could put one near a loud waterfall, but I think the trouble really is that the BF see you put the cameras up, and right there they are thinking of traps and poison and they are going no where near it.

Also cameras don't always go off when they are supposed to, and go off when they should not. So it's an iffy propostion in any case.

The Bigfoot travel under high voltage power lines, I would think there are high EMF fields under them. Also, where can I get my hands on those poo covered trail cams ~ on second thought...

Edited by beerhunter
  • Upvote 1

Primates typically don't have an exceptionally good sense of smell. Certainly not as good as a bear's which is phenomenal. Scent masking is probably a waste of time. The EMF or electronic "whine" of these devices might be an issue at close range, but it's just speculation to say so. The biggest issue is one of physical concealment. Make them "invisible" by making them blend into their environment. That's where I'd put my efforts.

BFF Patron

If BF are as camera shy as has been documented perhaps the time lapse function on some of the advanced cameras and the randomness involved with that would even have a better chance of visual capture. Or a combination of time lapse on predictable schedule for a lengthy period and then a sudden switch to quick rapid fire. Camouflage is an art to camera placement and is highest on my list when deciding to use them (which is increasingly less and less). I've had more "luck" with sound recorder placements personally (even including some bipedal run bys where they should have had no proper reason to be).

The TBRC is going to experiment with both continuous recording and time-lapse recording. You get a much larger effective range since everything the camera sees will be photographed, though it greatly increases the number of images and data to sift through.

The EMF debate may come down to expectation, A BF traveling along a highwire line may understand that there should sense an EMF field in this location, but just along a trail off a random tree it would be a red flag to them, it would work the same with a house, they'd expect it from a human dwelling.

none of this takes into the account the possbility (that's been discussed on here numerous times), that its possible their vision capabilities differ from ours(and other critters they share the forests with)- allowing them to see IR beams/flash from the camera units.

If so, it would be extremely easy to "see" your way around/threw them removing the odor and concealment factors completely from play.

There's obviously (to me) something else going on besides the smell or appearance of trail camera's, as many other woodland critters (who have both excellent vision and smell) keep showing up on them, while ole' big and hairy isnt.....

that's my thoughts anyway..

Art

none of this takes into the account the possibility (that's been discussed on here numerous times), that its possible their vision capabilities differ from ours(and other critters they share the forests with)- allowing them to see IR beams/flash from the camera units.

If so, it would be extremely easy to "see" your way around/threw them removing the odor and concealment factors completely from play.

There's obviously (to me) something else going on besides the smell or appearance of trail camera's, as many other woodland critters (who have both excellent vision and smell) keep showing up on them, while ole' big and hairy isnt.....

Art

Guys, The trail cam picture stakeouts I've seen were standing alone in an open space attached to a stake at the side of a trail. :blink:

These are intelligent creatures with senses way beyond ours,truly bordering on supernatural.

I sincerely believe that if changes were made, vines and leaves obscuring the stake, and somehow camouflaging the camera's smell and noise could bring about some really great pictures.

You guys just need to out think these animals. They do have extraordinary senses, but we have greater brain power, and you hunters know the woods.

Incorporate the cameras into the flora covering it's odor with something *not* unexpected in a forest.

I'd have disposable gloves and put some animal poop there to mask the human smell.That odor would mask the human smell.Drape flowering vines over the camera, just do something to obscure it and the odor of humans.

**I would wear gloves when handling anything that will be placed along and around the camera's placement.**

In fact, I would never handle the camera without gloves.

A box of disposable gloves cost little in comparison to your other expenses.

***However, Wash the disposable gloves off with plain water, and rub leaves over them before handling the camera, or anything else.***

You guys need to out think this creature, and we are the still the smarter, so out think it.

Mask your smell, conceal the camera, and bag yourself some great pictures! :D .

There has to be way to obscure the IR rays. You guys can figure that out.

Problem solve it.

I've never been around smarter people than those who are here when it comes to hunting, knowing the woods, and the creatures in it.

Think *outside* the box.

Figure out the problem, brainstorm, and solve it.

Is there some way of having foliage obscure the IR ray crossing the forest path?

I'm pretty much convinced they can detect the electro-magnetic field (EMF) generated by such devices.

But can't the rays be obscured somehow?

The EMF debate may come down to expectation, A BF traveling along a highwire line may understand that there should sense an EMF field in this location, but just along a trail off a random tree it would be a red flag to them, it would work the same with a house, they'd expect it from a human dwelling.

Then put cameras along the high wire path of least resistance..

none of this takes into the account the possbility (that's been discussed on here numerous times), that its possible their vision capabilities differ from ours(and other critters they share the forests with)- allowing them to see IR beams/flash from the camera units.

Art

none of this takes into the account the possibility (that's been discussed on here numerous times), that its possible their vision capabilities differ from ours(and other critters they share the forests with)- allowing them to see IR beams/flash from the camera units.

Art

Art, There has to be a way to do this. We put men on the moon, HTG, we should be able to get pictures of a BF.

We just need to out think it, problem solve the problems and start getting some excellent pictures.

You guys work really hard at this, you spend your own hard earned money to further BF research and discovery.

Some how we need to make this work.

Do we need to create a new type of camera that does not use the IF ray?

Perhaps we need to see how to obscure the beam so the BF won't see it.

Some of the smartest people I've ever met are members here.

Let's come up with valid ideas on solving these issues by putting our heads together and making this work..

If BF are as camera shy as has been documented perhaps the time lapse function on some of the advanced cameras and the randomness involved with that would even have a better chance of visual capture. Or a combination of time lapse on predictable schedule for a lengthy period and then a sudden switch to quick rapid fire. Camouflage is an art to camera placement and is highest on my list when deciding to use them (which is increasingly less and less). I've had more "luck" with sound recorder placements personally (even including some bipedal run bys where they should have had no proper reason to be).

This sounds good to me. We need to think outside the box just as you are doing.Problem solve the problems, and make this work for us instead of against us..

I'm starting to wonder if we may need to look at a more simple camera trap of some sort.

I never ever heard my dad say something could not be done, or fixed to where it could work.

Think outside of the box.

Problem solve this issue. I know that you guys can do this.

This group here has some of the smartest people I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with, and I sincerely believe that you can fix this issue by applying your knowledge of the woods, the creature, the paths, and the effects of the IR rays which BF can obviously see and sense.

Can you somehow mask the rays without obstructing them?

Careful there Art! Next thing you know, you'll be saying the P word. :P

I have thought about this some.

If they can see/sense/hear the IR...then maybe we need to elimintae it. What if the camera trap has no power to it unless a connection was made? There would be no noise (hum/buzz) from the trap and no IR light to be seen except when the pics are taken.

I am thinking that when an animal steps on the trigger (buried under ground cover like leaves) the electrical circuit (powered by car battery for instance or camera's own battery) would be completed and the camera trap would take a series of pictures. You could bait the area so the animals would need to step on the trigger area or set the triggers along natural game trails. You would still need to camoflauge everything and possibly mask the scent but there are a ton of scent eliminators/tricks that deer hunters use.

This will take longer to set up and the possibility of being seen is greater, but if these creatures are as curious as we believe, they might be more curious because if they can hear/see/sense the typical camera trap, but this one they can not..thier interest may be higher.

any thoughts? has anyone ever tried something like this?