Can Bigfoot Swim?

Guest Twilight Fan

Guest Twilight Fan

I was just wondering, have there ever been any eyewitness reports/sightings of an alleged Bigfoot swimming in water? It would be strange if so, since monkeys and apes alike cannot swim. I wonder, if real, whether or not Sasquatch would have that ability? It would certainly set him apart from other primates, along with humans.

BFF Patron

IBS Report April 1998 report...... (by way of MABRC repost)

near Ketchikan Alaska, Clarence Strait

Peter Byrne sent me a fascinating batch of notes on a possible swimming Bigfoot that spends time in British Columbia’s Inland Passage between the mainland and Vancouver Island. It concerns deadheads, a water-logged stump, root ball up, that bobs upright very slow in the water. They are a menace to shipping and navigation. Tony Hawkins, on May 9th, 1990, was heading south from St. Petersburg as a guest on a commercial halibut fishing trip, and they were about a mile from land. He was on the bridge with other crewmen when one of them spotted a possible deadhead. As they approached it on the starboard side about 1 PM in calm seas, at 50 yards he noticed that the thing was upright above the water some 4 1/2 feet, as determined through binoculars, and was about 2 or 2 1/2 feet wide. It appeared to have hair like shredded bark, brown, and it had a head and shoulders. The arms were hanging straight down, he couldn’t see any detail, and he couldn’t see eyes in the deep sockets. The face was rounded with a distinct nose and chin, some areas seeming swollen. The head was rounded like a rounded log end, and the facial area appeared hairless, with hair on top of the head. The face was a lighter brown, almost grayish in color. Thinking it might have been a carved log, like a totem pole, he noticed that as they came abreast of it, it sank out of sight...a log doesn’t act that way, it would be bobbing, “and it was looking at us the whole time, five minutes...it watched us the whole time.†Crewman Eric said he had seen one quite a few years earlier, and again he saw one the previous September. Tony had read about one off the Oregon Coast in 1948. Cameras were on board, but were stowed below. We have wondered in the past about the swimming ability of Bigfoot, and speculated about them crossing the Bering Straits land bridge during the Ice Age. Also Bigfeet have been sighted on Queen Charlotte Island, some 40 miles from land...that’s about the distance across the existing Bering Straits. If the creatures can swim that well, they might well regularly cross from Siberia to Alaska at any time...even now. The crewman on the ship, Lindsey Babich, notes that the ten year old vessel is a seiner and is 56.5 feet long. They were halfway between Petersburg and Ketchikan in the Clarence Strait. Lindsey says that they had heard previously of the Sea Man, and it had been described exactly as they had seen it. He goes on to say that while heading towards Ketchikan, he saw the deadhead, noticing that it wasn’t bobbing up and down vertically like a deadhead. With the binoc’s he said the thing had hemp-like hair, looked like a Sasquatch, had big eyes, a nondescript mouth, and resembled a piling with head and shoulders that went up to the head. “Definitely, there were eyes. They were large, almost as large as baseballs. They were black, like a seal’s eyes, but a lot larger than that...and he was staring right at us, just as curious as we were.†The skin was a little like a muddy, tan-green. They commented on how a fisherman might dress up a deadhead and let it go as a gag, but to his mind, this was definitely a sea creature that he’d never seen before. It had a flat face, so no way was it a sea lion. And then it went slowly straight down, and didn’t reappear.

Edited by bipedalist

My therory, and why I keep an eye out in this particular area (9D, between Beacon and Cold Spring), is the narrowest part of the Huson River, right above West Point, and right below Cornwall Bay. That being said, if BF wants to go visit Orange Co. from Dutchess Co.....would the logical spot be in fact the most narrow?

Once across there are shear rocks walls and steep mountains on both sides, making excellent cover and protection.

It actually makes a great course to Bear Mountain State Park, which is where I believe BF spends some time in the winter. I just need a little "special" access to bolster that up a bit.

Guest openureyes

I was just wondering, have there ever been any eyewitness reports/sightings of an alleged Bigfoot swimming in water? It would be strange if so, since monkeys and apes alike cannot swim. I wonder, if real, whether or not Sasquatch would have that ability? It would certainly set him apart from other primates, along with humans.

Two words Vancouver Island

There is a reason I call them Aqua Squatch. I think they spend more time in lakes and streams, possibly oceans, than we give them credit for doing. It might be why it's hard to find evidence.

Guest Twilight Fan

There is a reason I call them Aqua Squatch. I think they spend more time in lakes and streams, possibly oceans, than we give them credit for doing. It might be why it's hard to find evidence.

To assume they do without evidence though, seems silly to me. (Never heard of an ape spending time in an ocean, btw)...We could also assume they would enjoy the taste of a chocolate coconut cake, but until one is seen being eaten by a Bigfoot...no one could know. Only guess. Aqua Squatch is a funny name though! I wonder if anyone on this site has ever seen a photo where an alleged Bigfoot is swimming?

BFF Patron

The one doing the frogkick underwater as a boat passed by near Vancouver Island is a classic.

Have to scroll down thru to the last few paragraphs

http://www.bfro.net/...icle.asp?id=441

Unlike other primates, they are powerful swimmers. On occasion they are seen on the British Columbia coast and there have been direct observations of the animals under water doing a frog kick. From The Royal Forum's investigation into BFRO database of reports in the central United States it would appear the creatures might pursue or prefer using streamways and rivers as possible means of travel or hunting. In addition, it appears the creatures prefer swamps and wetlands. Although some reports have occurred near mines, ]aves, and rock quarries it is presumed they do not use them very often as there is typically only one entrance.

Edited by bipedalist

T. fan, log on to www.bigfootencounters.com. Use the search and type in swim or swimming. You will find a couple of sightings. One I can think of is in Maine. We are designed to swim, why not Sasquatch? Here is one link........http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/trinidadCA07.htm

Edited by kearnsey64

To assume they do without evidence though, seems silly to me. (Never heard of an ape spending time in an ocean, btw)...We could also assume they would enjoy the taste of a chocolate coconut cake, but until one is seen being eaten by a Bigfoot...no one could know. Only guess. Aqua Squatch is a funny name though! I wonder if anyone on this site has ever seen a photo where an alleged Bigfoot is swimming?

No, but I have friends that can make you an Aqua Squatch photo.....LOLOL. How do you know there is no evidence out there? And yes, Aqua Squatch is a cute name. :lol:

SSR Team

The one doing the frogkick underwater as a boat passed by near Vancouver Island is a classic.

The frogkick is mentioned here also..

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7382

Admin
It would be strange if so, since monkeys and apes alike cannot swim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ObDgBLFo9w

Video of a monkey swimming and diving under water:

Edited by gigantor
  • Upvote 1

Guest ajciani

Just to note.

There are quite a few reports of them swimming, and I think one person on the board even said they have seen or heard of BF even grabbing waterfowl down from beneath the surface. Since they are physically very similar to (normal) humans, they can probably swim quite well.

Most of their time in the water is probably spent digging up roots and mussels. I once found an empty mussel shell, approximately 6 inches long, sitting in a stream in one of the Cook County forest preserves (where I had seen some possible evidence of BF activity). It was just sitting (under water) in the middle of a scooped out hole. I was unaware that mussels that big lived in our streams and lakes, but please see this website about Illinois fresh water mussels.

In winter time, I would be highly suspicious of any bigfoot activity in the water. Human and ape hair is not a particularly good insulator when wet. Dry hair -> 5° F -> no hat -> no problem. Wet hair -> 30° F -> no hat -> burrr (but not freezing). I would have absolutely no desire to dip any part of myself in cold water, no matter how much hair, and then walk around in the 5° F air, or on the snow.

Guest Twilight Fan

@ gigantor - WOW! I've never seen a monkey swim like that before! I always thought scientists said this was something they could NOT do. That's so weird...

Seems like there are some eyewitness reports, but I guess what I'm wondering is...has there ever been photographic (possible) evidence of a possible Bigfoot in water, swimming?

• masterbarber locked this topic