Question

Guest midnightwalker1

Egads! Thanks - and sorry Sasfooty - you're right. My apologies to all reading the thread: those are, of course, Great Horned Owl vocalizations on the recording, not Barred. I don't know why I typed Barred, just one of those brain things, I suppose. No wonder MW thinks I'm a rank amateur who never goes outside!

Thank you, Saskeptic. I thought you probably knew the difference, but it's rare for me to get a chance like that to point out a mistake. :) You were very gracious about it.

However....MW is right. They are experts at mimicking animal & bird calls, & someone who doesn't believe they exist in the first place, & has no idea what they are capable of, would have no way of knowing the difference. I have spent the better part of my time over the last 6 years thinking about little else except watching & listening to them & recording their sounds. Things that I have seen & heard have convinced me 100% that what we are saying here is true.

The old saying "Truth is stranger than fiction" is an old saying because it is true.

All would be readily available except for the .303 British,

Depends where you live. In Canada is as common as the 30-06 in the U.S.A ;). 303 Pattern 1914 Enfield is my first rifle

You claimed that you had a bigfoot making owl calls last night. That's an astounding claim.

I know that this wasn't directed to me, but I don't find it astounding at all.

Somewhere in all this conglomeration of recordings, I have a record of one of the youngsters learning to mimic a young stallion that my husband had for about 6 months. He had a very distinct "squeal" that was totally unlike any of the other horses.

The "copy" started out as a high pitched, single noted squeal, but over a period of two or three days, it got to the point that I couldn't tell whether it was horse or BF, except by the direction it was coming from. About 2 months after he had perfected his horse noise, Hubby sold the horse.

That was almost 3 years ago, but I still hear the squeal now & then. I heard it last about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Sasfooty

I put this audio file together using recordings proprietary to my group and one from the internet. It is comprised of some very high confidence barred owl recordings and some that are not so high which are suspect. Maybe we can come to a concensus on whether they are all owls.;)

Guest midnightwalker1

You'll find an apology to the entire thread in post #33. I could not be more honest or more sincere in that apology. I made a mistake. You have demonstrated truly objectionable behavior in ridiculing that apology.

Qualifications for what, knowing my owl calls? I learned them when I was a boy, a long time ago, long before I earned my PhD in ecology and later earned tenure as a wildlife ecologist at a research university in the eastern U.S. I am sorry that I am not comfortable providing anything more specific than that, and demanding it of me is harassment. Having proof of bigfoot is not something that requires "qualifications," it requires proof and just about anyone could supply it. Even a greenhorn city slicker could get lucky with a video camera or unlucky with a roadkill and be the person who ultimately reveals "bigfoot" for the entire world.

You claimed that you had a bigfoot making owl calls last night. That's an astounding claim. Your evidence is that in the past you've seen one peeking around a tree while hearing that call? Recordings - especially recordings of owl calls - are not proof of bigfoot. Now if you had some video of a bigfoot making an owl call, you might be on to something.

Ok peace. I just asked a simple question. I don't care to argue over issues of truth (you can choose not to believe me). I simply don't care. We'll move on. Thank you sasfooty for be the patient one. I tend to be a wee bit impatient and need to work on that one. :)

Edited by midnightwalker1

Guest midnightwalker1

I know that this wasn't directed to me, but I don't find it astounding at all.

Somewhere in all this conglomeration of recordings, I have a record of one of the youngsters learning to mimic a young stallion that my husband had for about 6 months. He had a very distinct "squeal" that was totally unlike any of the other horses.

The "copy" started out as a high pitched, single noted squeal, but over a period of two or three days, it got to the point that I couldn't tell whether it was horse or BF, except by the direction it was coming from. About 2 months after he had perfected his horse noise, Hubby sold the horse.

That was almost 3 years ago, but I still hear the squeal now & then. I heard it last about 3 weeks ago.

Yeah that's awesome. But hey they're just stupid animals (not people) that we need to hunt down and shoot. I can tell you that anyone who does so and has a conscious will be tortured for the remainder of their life. I can tell you from interacting with them that they are people and we have recorded their words at times. Animals don't speak words fellas, amongst a plethora of other human things they do.

And it's impossible to ever take a photo of them?

It's not impossible. A lot of pictures have been taken of them. I have a few myself.

What is virtually impossible is getting a good one.

Guest midnightwalker1

And it's impossible to ever take a photo of them?

I just don't get that part.

Not impossible to take a photo. Just not possible to get anyone to believe after you've taken the photo. LOL Can you say Pattie? Plenty of other reasonably good vids or photos and always questioned.

Recordings - especially recordings of owl calls - are not proof of bigfoot. Now if you had some video of a bigfoot making an owl call, you might be on to something.

Here's a video of a parrot making a good owl call, & a really good bird whistle, among a lot of other good ones.

If a parrot can do it, why can't a BF?

I'm sure MW can handle this, but here's something for you to mull over while you're waiting. This "owl" has a strange friend answering him. Maybe this is some other kind of owl noise that I'm not familiar with....?

Thanks for sharing the clip. What I hear (each of the two times), after the GH Owl ..does not sound owlish, to me.

I've recorded some strange sounding Barred Owls, and have heard other's recordings that sounded strange, also. Strange meaning, it didn't sound like a typical Barred Owl. One time, I recorded what I thought was a Barred Owl call, during a series of rapid whacking knocks. Not sure on the owl, but am sure.. that the knocks didn't come from the owl, and that they weren't beak snapping sounds, either.

Actually, when properly armed, I'm the ultimate force of the forest. Unless you mean to tell me that a Sas will hide from cameras, dodge cars...... but chase a man carrying a rifle? Seems to me we should have bagged one by now, if that's the case. ;)

Gotta ask you, MB. If you blew away everything in front of you.. just to end all questions on what it was sounding off. You walked over in the dark and expected to see pieces of owl, frogs, bugs, a hoaxer, or whatever you thought it might be, and found a wasted squatch instead... would you still feel you were the ultimate forest force , or would you might wonder if there were more of them out there, and your moments on earth were now limited ?

Admin

Im,

I never point a firearm at anything that I'm not willing to destroy and have clearly identified as a threat. I don't expect that a hairy, bipedal North American Wood Ape will ever present itself to me in such a way as to trigger my use of deadly force instinct(or in any other way). I'll gladly admit it if I'm ever wrong about that and I'll bring more to the table than a story.

SSR Team

Actually, when properly armed, I'm the ultimate force of the forest.

These are EXACTLY the sort of comments that make part of me really want the Animal to be accepted by Science so we can, excuse my French MB & it's not directed at you personally, shove them right back where the Sun don't shine.. :)

Admin

No offense taken Bobby. I don't hunt any animals that aren't armed, or don't have the ability to arm themselves. To me, there is no question that a properly trained and armed human is the ultimate force.

edited for content

Edited by masterbarber

• masterbarber locked this topic