Hypothetical Question - Current Bf Research Groups And Potential Discovery

BobbyO

SSR Team

Ok, it's something that i had thought about for years & a friend of mine just brought it up again as to where do current BF Research Groups stand if discovery " happens " ?

These are Groups that have tolerated ridicule for years if not decades now and have ignored it to continue their quest for answers to this subject.

Do these Guys and Girls just get swept aside and replaced by other more " qualified " people that have generally been the one's that have ridiculed and never taken this subject seriously in years gone by ?

Or is there still a prominent role to play for current BF Research Groups in a field that could and would see an influx of Scientists ?

My view is that there is going to be problems in this area of the field as Mr Qualified Scientist will come through like a Steam Train and attempt to knock Mr " Amateur " Researcher by the way side.

I'd like to think that many Scientists who would be getting involved in this field would be open minded enough to concede that they were actually wrong in the first place and hold their hands up whilst all the while embracing ( if not agreeing totally with all ) Mr " Amateur " Researcher's ideas and previous research, but i'm just not sure if Mr Scientist has that kind of thinking in his make up.

Guest exnihilo

I hear what you are saying, but I suspect that the kind of research approaches that are likely will be within the Goodall model. Jane herself was "just" (OK, I'm ready to duck) a secretary when she got started, and a lot of the researchers at least in the early days were non-scientists (oftentimes locals) that were given training on what to look for and how to document it. Habituation requires a lot more sustained manpower than episodic expeditions, so I think there will be plenty of room for the people already doing research. In fact in many cases these amateur researchers will probably be training the scientists what to do, particularly at first. I'm hopeful a very robust partnership will develop. Scientists after all do have certain specialized skills when it comes to research.

Once again, individual personalities come into play here. It would depend on the scientist's, the amateur researcher, and the bigfoot in question's attitudes as to how much actual "study" would get done or be beneficial.

If I were the bigfoot, assuming it's more intelligent than we give them credit for, I would do all kinds of stuff to make humans think my intelligence level was no better than an average gorilla in order to avoid appearing like a threat to humanity.

Edited by Jodie

Guest bsruther

IMO, if that time ever comes, any research groups with a successful track record of providing actual proof and documenting BF behavior will be asked for input. The rest will be trampled over or completely ignored.

If you're a field researcher today who has some success in the field, whose methods are reliable and safe enough to share, then CHARGE the newcomers for the exchange of knowledge and for taking them out into the field with you. Advertise to every university biology department, Max Plank institute and wherever else. Send them glossy packets full of color photos and pretty pictures of your local bigfoot clan. Offer them unique field research opportunities. Exploit the living crap out of them. Charge them fees so high you will be embarrassed to tell people about it. It's OK. You have my blessing!

Just don't charge for an expedition and have someone waiting up the trail in a costume so they appear bigfootish on thermal, you never know when your research customer will pull out a pistol and start trying to collect a type specimen (not that I'm accusing a certain organization of faking experiences for paying customers)

If the Government appoints scientists to study Sasquatch, or if accedemia decide to study them, then they'd be starting from scratch. They'll need to work with groups/individuals that have studied them already or their job will be a difficult one.

Another question is this; If they are put on the endagered species list then the amount of study that can be done we be regulated and fall under legislation. Permits will be required, and they are only likely to be granted to those with relevant qualifications. How will the likes of BFRO feel about that?

SSR Team

IMO, if that time ever comes, any research groups with a successful track record of providing actual proof and documenting BF behavior will be asked for input. The rest will be trampled over or completely ignored.

This is not far away from what i think will happen, or at least what some will try to make happen.

Not sure how people would clarify success though as would it just be the people who have submitted samples to certain DNA Projects that would be the selected few ? How do you clarify successful researchers as most have found what they perceive to be Tracks/Prints so we'd have to assume that they were doing something right by just finding those and not bumping inot them accidently ?

Jodie's right, the attitude of individuals will be key here too.

My worry though is that there are enough people out there who put lots of time, effort and money and have done for years into a subject where they've been told by that they're insane year after year who won't take kindly to being completely ignored like you suggested, by those same people who called them insane who would come into their field.

That just doesn't seem to be right to me.

You can't change people's opinion by fighting or complaining about it, instead you look at the big picture. If we are on the brink of discovery, then the interest in the topic will sky rocket to include the mainstream population.

Those researchers that have invested years into the topic would have an immediate market for books and interviews regarding their techniques, personal experiences, and individual conclusions that would be of interest to everyone and not just limited to the sub culture that has been primarily bigfoot enthusiasts.

I see opportunity to change public opinion here rather than the squashing of egos in the futile argument of who has the most expertise.

Edited by Jodie

Follow the money. At the high end, I'd expect someone like Meldrum to be able to write up a grant proposal(if he hasn't already) to fund a lab and field research. He'd likely kiss off his Idaho colleagues, go somewhere central in the PNW like Eugene, and begin sorting through resumes of graduate students.

At the other end, I expect to see some really good hoaxers trying to dupe researchers, journalists, and curious wallet packers.

Hopefully the first casualty will be the ambulance chasers (borrowed that from Matthew Johnson).

My guesses would be.....

Those groups who align themselves with qualified academia will be sanctioned to work under the control of the experts.

A set of contact guidelines will be established after a period of free for all.

A national clearinghouse for public sightings and response will be established to keep the call load down on local LEO.

After several years for politicians to find out which way the wind blows, legislation will begin to appear.

SSR Team

Good shout again Jodie..;)

I think that reality show groups will be inundated (if they aren't already) by average folks wanting to see a bigfoot. But I don't think they will be taken seriously by researchers. Any layman watching the show can see their methods are scattershot and don't appear to be very scientific.

Groups that have quietly been working all along will have the best chance of being taken seriously by researchers, imo. i.e. the Olympic Project.

I forsee more groups popping up to conduct expeditions on private land for money in hopes of seeing BF creatures. Eco-tourism, camps, etc. Since hairy bipeds appear to show up anywhere and everywhere across the continent, the current expeditions will only grow in number, as will the groups that conduct them, though there may be more regulations. Imagine the business possibilities of leading an expedition for an elusive creature that *could* pop up in almost any wild area. IF more proof of their existence arises, BF tours/campouts/expeditions could be cash cows for both the legitimate and less-than-legitimate entities.

If the Government appoints scientists to study Sasquatch, or if accedemia decide to study them, then they'd be starting from scratch. They'll need to work with groups/individuals that have studied them already or their job will be a difficult one.

Another question is this; If they are put on the endagered species list then the amount of study that can be done we be regulated and fall under legislation. Permits will be required, and they are only likely to be granted to those with relevant qualifications. How will the likes of BFRO feel about that?

On the first comment I am not so sure they will need any prior research if they employ similar methods as I used...the BFs came to me...and kept coming. There are others who go up there and also see signs...but they don't get the same treatment.....

So, it will only take a few trained or supported field anthroplogist to blow by a lot of what amateurs have produced...no offense to us all! And BF's are pretty much accessible at the edges of wildernesses and many rural human locations...finding the location won't be an issue.

The rancher I was trying to "save" is now in preforeclosure..a 100yr plus homestead sandwiched btw wildernesses....the only private land in an important riparian (and only one) habitat..that is no hunting b/c privately owned...and it going back to the bank and will probably finally be developed (it has 5 cabins now and platted for 35 more).....the only place with apples and berries up there.

so WALLY or that rich foundation...it can be had I am sure short sale....(it's at $5millnow) it has a Lodge and cabins...and is stunning and remote..

what a Gombe station? and as importantly a habitat that should be saved for the fragile ecosystem it is in (w/o going thru detail of importance to watershed, etc)

For those ethical and hard working amatuers..hang on to your data...b/c yes., it may become illegal, especially if shown as Homo sapien..to research in future...then you self published stuff will be locked forever in a special category...back up your hard drives! pull down the youtubes!

I don't know the answers..but I hear ya...will Dr,Ketchum (who had the money fronted, and the heat taken up by others, and the evidence produced by others) get the copyrights, the patents, the everything...naming rights? What about Bindernagel..etc?

Too bad, that's how it works...that is why they are so cut throat and lawyered up..they have Big expectations...and a reason Dr.Meldrum doesn'tlook like he is rolling over to a Jane Goodall appraoch? It appears the BFRO in some ways is done....wrt to be taken seriously as as the "only siceintific" group don't you think?

I

Edited by apehuman

IMO, Jodie is right on the money. What happens to each group or individual is going to be largely up to that group or individual. The yahoos before will be yahoos after.

Legitimate research groups, especially ones that have biologists or other scientists working for them, will probably receive a degree of collaboration with the "official" research studies. People like me that just go out into the woods for fun to see what we can see, probably won't be taken any more seriously in the future than we are now.

Edited by ShadoAngel

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic