Sightings Told To You By Others, Not Otherwise Reported

58 posts in this topic

The sighting that moved me from "interested in Bigfoot" to "Pretty sure it exists" was a sighting told to me by a really good family friend, who lives up in Mendocino California, next to my parents. He is a civil engineer, and is not a story teller by any means. Casually one day while we were having a cookout at my folks, someone happened to mention Bigfoot, and someone said "Hey X, tell your bigfoot story!"

He then told us about a time he and a buddy were up fishing in remote North Eastern California. They were deep in the woods camping, not near any real access points, and were in the middle of the river, fly fishing. Something caught his eye and he looked upstream. About 50 yards up, something very tall, hairy and brown, was walking on two legs across the river. It walked very surefootedly, even though the current was nothing to sneeze at. He said he had no doubt, in that moment, what he was looking at. He had no real interest in bigfoot since, and honestly doesn't have a whole hell of a lot now. But he says it wasn't a man (too big) and wasn't a bear (looked man like, just huge and hairy).

He and his friend got the hell out of there quick.

I was talking with the neighbor a few days ago and he was telling me about his uncle out hunting, seems the old guy fell down an embankment and broke a hip. He laid there for a day screaming for help, in and out of consciousness and he swears that through the haze he remembers a Sas picking him up and carrying him up the embankment to the road.

The neighbors always have a big family BBQ each year and the uncle comes for that get together, the neighbor says he'll introduce me this summer so I can ask him about it in person.

I was able to interview a person who experienced some very loud wood knocks near the town of Stillwater, MN in the spring of 2010. The tree was outside her window and the knocks were very very loud. They occurred at about 2:AM. The house is located about 2 miles north of Stillwater along the hiway, near the St, Croix river. This is very very close to the location where FOX news reported a sighting that a farmer filmed on his iphone (FB/FB). (BTW that particular video is one of a few wher the 79 degree shin rise can be seen. This is something that humans cannot do and is thus a good indicator of authenticity.) There is a hill and a creek drainage going down to the St. Croix that runs behind the house in the woods.

The knocks were two at a time. The tree was a large deciduous tree about 100 feet high and she said the whole thing shook -it was right outside her window. The knocks happened very quickly together- it was the speed and the intensity that convinced her that it was not humanly possible. After a few minutes (the knocking went on for about 5 minutes) she got the courage to peek out the window (which was open) but saw nothing. Almost right away though she heard answering knocks up the hill in two locations. She says that they happened too quickly for one creature to have moved that fast- she thinks it was more than one. The next day she looked for signs- footprints, marks on the tree but found nothing, but she also admits that she does not have tracking skills.

She was living with her mother at the time (who has since passed away) and her mother confirmed that 'someone was knocking on the house' at 2:AM. Her mother thought it was drunks, but her room was on the opposite side of the house. This person now lives outside of St. Croix Falls and is aware of sightings that have occurred on islands north of Taylor's Falls in the St. Croix river.

This 'class B' encounter is also not far from Centerville MN which is on I-35 to the west- there is a BFRO class A report in that area. Seems like it must be an active area.

I am sure there are alot of them out there that have not been reported.

I was talking with a store owner back several years ago and then spoke with his wife because she was the person who talked with the man that stopped there after he had his sigthing. She said he came in the the store all white and very shaken and asked her "what kind of animals do you folks have down here in these woods anyway?". He then described what he had seen and said that he had to stop to keep from hitting it with his car.

The reason I and no one else would write this report up is simple and you will understand when I tell you what he said.

He said this thing was big and hairy and came running out of the woods in the middle of nowhere and ran right in front of him. He went on to say that it was wearing a an old pair of blue jeans that was almost in rags, all torn and ripped up here and there.

I knew at the time that no one would believe that story and most likely many will not believe it now. The woman believed the man was telling the truth about what he had seen as he was really upset about seeing this thing.

Now here is the kicker, It was in an area that another sighting took place and a track was found. We also went there another time and made a call and had two replies from two different locations.

One of those strange stories that any researcher would not dare write up knowing the ridicule this one would bring, but there it is.

Mike (watch1)

A sasquatch wearing blue jeans? How would it even fit on an 8 foot tall 600 pound ape man?

In one of my photos, I had one wearing a sash kind of thing. Like a sheet folded up, over one shoulder, around the waist on the other side, sort of belted in place. Not unheard of to have them adopt a garment.

I recently had an opportunity to interview a woman that lives about one quarter of a mile from the site I visit. she's in her mid-eighties, is sharp as a tack and lives next to her son, who's about a quarter of a mile from her to the north.

She looked at me like my hair was on fire when I asked her if she's ever seen a creature like a Bigfoot around her home. "Bigfoot?," she asked. I then clarified my question by asking her if she's ever seen an odd, bipedal animal that was hairy and tall. "Oh, yeah" she answered. "I've seen them before. We call them Hanks."

She then went on to tell me that they (more than one) had been on her property numerous times in the past. One evening, she went to take out the garbage and witnessed one rummaging through her trash. "I almost swallowed my snuff," she said. She then went back into the house, leaving her garbage bag on the ground.

She then told me that her son had seen one in a lower field between their homes. "He thought it was a bear, but it stood up and started running when it heard the tractor noise. It ran like a man, on two feet."

I found her to be honest, although one never knows. She says the last time anyone had witnessed one was about four years ago. I hope to interview her son in the very near future.

I'm going to redouble my efforts in this area in the fall. She says that this is the time that most of the sightings have occurred.

In one of my photos, I had one wearing a sash kind of thing. Like a sheet folded up, over one shoulder, around the waist on the other side, sort of belted in place. Not unheard of to have them adopt a garment.

Toga! Toga!

She looked at me like my hair was on fire when I asked her if she's ever seen a creature like a Bigfoot around her home. "Bigfoot?," she asked. I then clarified my question by asking her if she's ever seen an odd, bipedal animal that was hairy and tall. "Oh, yeah" she answered. "I've seen them before. We call them Hanks."

She then went on to tell me that they (more than one) had been on her property numerous times in the past. One evening, she went to take out the garbage and witnessed one rummaging through her trash. "I almost swallowed my snuff," she said.

Great Story STC :rolleyes:

Have you heard the term 'hanks' in relation to Bigfoot before; is it a local thing or just peculiar to that particular family?

It's the kind of detail that adds authenticity to my mind.

Have you had a sighting in your research area nearby?

I love your writing style, by the way.

I have yet to see one on the property, which is adjacent to her property, immediately to the south. This place is a craggy, slough with a dry creek bed and is just as hilly and rough as anything in the area. The land just before the river has a running creek that empties into the river. This is the area I use to bait and research. No luck as of yet, although this is as good a place as any. There are no fewer than 3 BFRO reports from within a half mile of the property. I believe it to be just a matter of time. I have a motto - Success is when preparation meets opportunity.

The term "Hank" is a term that I've found is used by the older set in many areas. In the east, they call them "Honey Boogers" and "Honey Hanks." To the west I've just heard "hanks" and "boogers," and some call them "woolly boogers."

Thanks for your kind words, Strick. Most appreciated.

Very cool story STC! Thanks for sharing!

This one was told to me by the friend of a girl I was dating at the time. She's a city girl for the most part and I could tell that this experience scared the crap out of her and she didn't know what to make of it.

After I made a comment about alleged sasquatch behavior relating to part of our conversation somehow, she asked me if I thought they were real. I told her that I was open to the idea, and almost kind of hoped I'd encounter one someday. After pausing briefly, as if she were deciding whether or not to continue she revealed to me that she actually HAD seen what she thought may have been a Jersey Devil or bigfoot or something. Something mean, which was one of two key details forever burned into her memory.

She told me that she was with a guy and they were sitting in his car at the end of a dead-end road that had an open dirt turn-around area with a big dumpster on the edge next to the woods. Now I'm sure they weren't just "sitting" around...I gathered that this was a guy she was seeing at the time and maybe things were hot 'n heavy and she didn't want to bring that part up. In any case, she said they heard some noises at the dumpster, so the guy flipped on his headlights (which were off to this point) and that's when they saw it. She described it as stocky, hairy, "gross" (her word...she didn't quantify what was so gross about it, but she was pretty creeped out), about 5'10 to 6' tall, and its eyes reflected an orange hue from the lights. They caught it rooting around in the dumpster, and though the lights didn't hit the thing directly, it was illuminated enough that they could see it pretty well. The reaction of the creature was delayed, as it paused for a moment, then slowly turned to face them and let out a low growl. She said that they were frozen in fear, and they didn't snap into action until it took two steps toward the car. The guy started up the car, threw it into gear and peeled out.

I believe her to be credible in the sense that she didn't know what she was seeing, and when reflecting on the story she was very much fixated on the orange eyeshine and how intimidated she felt. This she emphasized repeatedly, along with the fact that it wasn't as tall as she thought a bigfoot might be. This took place in South Jersey somewhere, I'd rather not contact her to find out an exact location (her friend and I ended our relationship on poor terms) but I thought I'd share this with you all anyway as it seemed relevant. She then spent the rest of the evening asking me questions about sasquatches and what their behavior was, etc. I told her that what I knew was all anectdotal, and that no one really knew anything for sure.

Edited by Raptor

Orangish eyeshine is among the top three mentioned in the John Green database of hundreds of witness reports.

My father told this to me. To understand, you have to understand my family. My father came from pioneers (my great-grandfather was one of the founders of a small town in North-Central Washington). My grandfather, his brothers, his friends were enthusiastic hunters, outdoorsman and miners, so a lot of their time was spent out in the wilds of Washington, Idaho, Oregon, British Columbia and Alberta Canada. When he was old enough (apparently, 4/5 years old was old enough), my dad was brought in to this tradition. I think if his health were better now, he would still do it (but that is another story).

Anyway, I guess my dad had a talent of howling like a wolf. Many times, the adults had to tell him to knock it off because he would literally draw the wolves down to camp. Now, I'm not sure how old he was at the time, but my guess would be about 5 to 10 (his memory ain't what it used to be), he was on a trip with the guys.

According to the story, they were in some wilderness that had some type of hollowed out area--probably a dried-up lake bed. There was a rim around this area. My dad was doing his wolf-projecting and he said they were getting some wolf response, but something else was also out there calling back. They decided to go see what was going on; these were men who again, knew the difference of animal calls.

They got to the rim of this hollow and was looking down to 2 or 3 of these creatures. They were howling and rock clapping. Dad really couldn't say what they were doing and he even asked his grandad/dad. They told him to hush up. Dad remembered asking what they were. Great-grandpa told dad that never mind what they were seeing and just not say anything and not to say anything about it to his mom.

What I always thought was that being in the outdoors as much as they were, I think that my dad's family & friends had encounters or sightings before.

He also told me about coming home over the North-Cascades highway at night with his first wife and saw one cross the road. She didn't see it and he wasn't about to wake her up to go ape-crap over it. :o

The term that you're hearing is likely "haint", a southern derivative of "haunt". The pronunciation "hank" might just be a regional variant of that.

I grew up hearing stories of "haints" in Northeast Georgia; many of which are likely influenced by sasquatch encounters.

Yes Matt, if these creatures exist I could see how they might be responsible for debunking outdoor "ghost" activity. Rock showers are a common poltergeist activity that is reported outdoors, so are the "haunted hoofbeats" around old cemeteries, possibly a running sasquatch in 4x4 mode?