• Announcements

• masterbarber

T shirt fund drive   07/17/2018

norseman has designed a t shirt and started a fund drive on custom ink. He is going to split the proceeds between the BFF and Project Grendel.  "We all owe this website a tremendous debt of gratitude. Our community and history would not exist without it. As far as the Project Grendel proceeds, I would like to see it go towards the purchase of a thermal scope."
      -norseman     https://www.customink.com/fundraising/sasquatch-hunter

Sightings Told To You By Others, Not Otherwise Reported

58 posts in this topic

The term that you're hearing is likely "haint", a southern derivative of "haunt". The pronunciation "hank" might just be a regional variant of that.

I grew up hearing stories of "haints" in Northeast Georgia; many of which are likely influenced by sasquatch encounters.

You probably know much more about that than I do. Your explanation sounds entirely plausible.

The lady is in her mid-eighties, so it is what it is. Maybe it is a slang term, but I have heard it used by quite a few older folks.

A scary update - A cougar was killed within 2 miles of my site. Dang... Who knew? Last year, a bunch of deer parts were deposited near the property... perfect for a scavenging puma.

I'm thankful for not running up on one while out in those woods. And to think I was worried about bears.

Two weeks ago my brother-in-law was with his supervisor at work who got a call from a friend that just returned from an elk hunt in the Gifford-Pinchot NF. Said he was sitting and watching for elk when a what he called bigfoot, walked by within 30 feet of him, stopped and made eye contact, then walked away... He said it looked over its shoulder as it left. He waited for it to be out of sight, then high-tailed it back to camp. He promptly packed up everything and went home... Had a rifle in his hands and didn't think to shoot it I guess?

I have asked my BIL to get more details if possible? Will report back if I do...

I was driving down Hwy 11, stopped for a stretch, late at night, midnight maybe? The air was cold, was late August or early September back in 2004 maybe. We stopped along side a small lake. They have these small areas here and there where people can pull over; transport drivers use them to stop and nap. I got out to walk a bit and my male passenger got out for a smoke. He stared out at the lake and my female passenger was out, watching the passing vehicle when she grabbed my attention and quickly told us to get back in the car. She was very serious and we couldn't get back in the car and back on the road fast enough for her. She said she could see someone running towards us. She doesn't speak English very well and I don't speak her language very well but we always manage to communicate. Here I was looking up and down the hwy not seeing what she was afraid of. I didn't even know what direction she was talking about until later. She was frightened and wanted me to pull out as quickly as possible almost as soon as I started up the car. You know when you start up a car, it does all those little checks as the lights come on. She wanted me to go as soon as I turned the key, she said, "go now, quickly." I peeled out of there and really got up to speed as quickly as possible. My male backseat passenger also looked about but heard and saw nothing. He's been a hunter all his life and spent many years in the bush living. He grew up with my female passenger and he's never seen anything in the wild that would frighten her like this. We weren't that far from a gas station called Gramps place. A mile or so down the road I started to ask questions. She said something large was running on the hwy coming towards us. She could see the outline of the thing clearly in the passing car backlighting it. It had long arms and she said it was not a bear. Impossible for bear to run that fast on two legs. I asked if it was a hitchhiker with a pack? No, it was too large, had big shoulders and long arms that swung slightly. I couldn't get any more detail from her because she was still visibly shaken. I had tried to catch a glimpse of it in the rearview mirror but I was also trying to look up sideroads and hills because at the time, I didn't realize she meant it was running on the side of the hwy itself coming towards us. As I drove, I could hear the conversation between the two. She kept describing an unknown creature of great size running on two legs. She mimicked the slight swing of torso/shoulders as it ran but as soon as the other vehicle was gone and we were in the dark again. She lost sight of it. Too big to be a person, seeing it struck fear into her. I kept wondering what she saw and I wanted more detail but I had to drive the winding hwy and it was late, so I dismissed it. Although now she wonders to this day, what would have happened if we had just sat there and waited for it to catch up. My female passenger was born and raised in the wilderness and is very familiar with northern wildlife. We heard no unusual calls, no unusual sounds, no footfalls. We weren't out of the car that long. There was no unusual smells that we can recall. The night was dark, no bright moon. I don't recall seeing that many stars. I kept thinking a hitchhiker would probably have waved or shouted. I know when we came down the hwy I didn't see anyone walking or any stopped cars. The female passenger shared and talked about this story as soon as she was home but only to a few. I didn't connect this story with my own sighting years before but that was much to close to home. I had managed to forget until Finding Bigfoot came along.

A guy whose opinion I trust saw "a survivalist in buckskins" run across Red Creek in the Dolly Sods Wilderness, then duck into some rhododendron and not reappear.

It didn't occur to him at the time what else it might be. Then he started reading BFRO reports from West Virginia.

I know where on Red Creek this happened. I've crossed there. No human, wearing anything much less buckskins, runs across Red Creek at that location.

What is that.....1) It's a bear, of course. 2) That is a great story! Scary. Lucky she saw it, eh? Wow. That'd make a great scene in a move.

DWA.....that reminds me that I read somewhere that the fringes on Native American clothes served to break up the outline and make them harder to see. So I guess it does the same for our cousins in the woods, maybe.

My nephew has a good friend who has camped with our family on an off for years. He lives in a neiboring small town. Apparently, about 6 or 7 years ago, he and another friend was walking down the railroad tracks and saw a bigfoot look at him and then took three steps and crossed over the tracks. The thing is, he won't camp anymore near woods. Sometimes, he will if it's a neighbor's pond with no woods. But never in the woods or wooded parks.

A friend told me last Friday that she found foot prints again in Cottage Grove Lake while walking her dog, but she can't remember where she saw them. UGH.

Going back to one of the first stories in this thread, I have

read about a hunter in Arkansas who was gifting ducks in the area

he hunted in. According to his story, he gained the trust of this paticular

Bigfoot after a while and he would show himself to the hunter. He said

the creature had some kind of deformity in his back. So, along with his

duck gifting he decides to leave some overalls(I think was bluejean). The

next few times the hunter went out, he stated the Bigfoot was wearing

the clothes he left... Can not remember what website I read this

encounter in but I want to say this took place in the early 1900's.

She said something large was running on the hwy coming towards us. She could see the outline of the thing clearly in the passing car backlighting it. It had long arms and she said it was not a bear. Impossible for bear to run that fast on two legs. I asked if it was a hitchhiker with a pack? No, it was too large, had big shoulders and long arms that swung slightly. I couldn't get any more detail from her because she was still visibly shaken.

Wow that sounds pretty scary! She must have felt some sort of menace to want to hightail it out of there so quickly.

Don't know how true they are but there was an old guy who worked for my fathers company off and on over the years who had a few tales. He spent his entire life in the PNW and was a jack of all trades kinda guy, full of stories. When I asked him about Bigfoot he said he never believed in them in all his years of logging and all the stories until one cut through his front yard one night.

He said he had an old composting drum near the side of his house and one clear cold evening he noticed the motion detector lights come on, he stepped out on his porch and it was dead quiet and nothing was in the illuminated area. Just as he turned to go back inside the composting drum made it's distinct rusty groan, he turned to see a Sasquatch cut across his front yard in a few steps and dissapear into the darkness. He said it was probably strolling along when the lights clicked on so it ducked for cover behind the drum. I asked if it scared him being so close, he said "naw".

Another time he was working as a tender to a water dropping helicopter, it would land and he would fill it from a water truck, then go down the hill to refill the truck and repeat until the fire was out. One time the pilot or spotter jumpped out and told him they made a drop and turned down the back side of the mountain heading away from the fire and smoke and saw 2-3 (can't remember what he said) bigfoot traversing down the hillside heading down the valley, presumably to escape the fire.

Third story was second hand. A truck had broken down up near a logging site so they returned with the mechanic to retrieve it and found it surrounded by massive foot prints and had mud all over it (smeared, thrown? he wasnt clear) and some very heavy fuel drums and other things were knocked over and dislodged from where they were left. Supposedly they were very frightened and took off leaving the broke down truck and were never seen again or some lame ending like that.

He was (passed away) an interesting old dude but I caught him telling some BS on more than one occasion so take it for what it is, just stories.

My father told me stories as a child about bf and his possible encounters. He never saw one but he told me a story about one time him and his buddy were being stalked by one in the woods when they were squirrel hunting. It was inear the Ozarks right along the arkansas river. It was getting close to dark and they started heading back to the truck. They both felt like something was watching them but hadnt said anything to each other yet. Then they started to hear something heavy to the side of them walking. Everytime they took a step, it took a step. They both thought it might be a bear, even though they are rare, or maybe a mountain lion. They then heard these noises in front of them so they changed directions trying to avoid it. Before you knew it they had gone in a circle and it was now dark. Not pitch black but getting there. The footsteps and the breaking noises got so loud they both backed up against a large tree, back to back had their guns out ready to shoot. they couldnt tell where it was coming from because it seemed like it was making circles around them the entire time. Then all of a sudden it stopped. Then they heard this real heavy breathing....it was so loud they said it sounded like this thing could of only been feet away from them and it made the hair on their next stand up. My dad and his friend both said they could barely make out the clearing up ahead but felt if they just got out of the woods everything would be ok. So on the count of 3 they both agreed to run like the wind and thats what they did. They ended up coming out of the woods a littl ways from the truck but they knew the trail and made their way back. The entire time they walked the trail they kept thei gun pointed at the woods. My dad said he didnt hear anything but they stil felt like they were being watched. Creepy!

Sightings that come from credible people are gold!

I know. If it were anyone else, I'd believe in the possibility that it was a huge load.