So You Shoot One, Then What?

Doc Holliday

im an avid hunter,into guns,bows etc.,i enjoy hunting to say the least.with that said, weve seen it discussed here what to shoot them with & more importantly to kill or not to kill a sasquatch for proof,science etc.

So,lets say you did kill one,a hunter like me,slicktrick,sitting there at the news station w/ol' BF in the back of a truck for all the world to see.

and ALL the world would see,including every poacher,would be researchers,eco-whacko,internet crazy stalkers p-o'd cause you DID kill it...probably meaning that the outdoors property you enjoy would never be the same again thanks to every kind of trespasser you could imagine.....not to mention those same folks looking you up,disrupting your daily activities & life in general.

so if you shot one, would a little fame & $ be worth the potential headache?what could be the rewards VS risks?would it really be worth it?

Edited by slicktrick

I've often stated I'd shoot one in a heartbeat. The response I usually get is that I'm in it for the fame and fortune. That wouldn't be further from the truth. I honestly think there is no money in it, I mean not "real" money. So, for me, I'd shoot one. I'd then send a sample to someone I trust or give the information in regard to where to find it to someone I trust and I would "fade away". I have no desire to be known. I'm a very private person. I usually do what I do and don't make a big deal about it. For example, I'm an avid hunter and fish a lot as well. I don't typically carry a camera; although most of my friends has specific ways of making "their" photos emphasize the size of their prey. They write up articles for publication, they post photos, they email family and friends. They've never seen a photo of me with any "quarry", ever. It's not my thing. So, again, I'd shoot one. I wouldn't likely have a regret or a second thought and I'd do it in a heart beat, and it would be made public...very public methinks. But you'd never know I was involved, you'd never know where I was when it happened or how the "evidence" came to be public. I've stated almost exactly that in the past and gotten numerous posts and PMs saying I was a money-hungry ego-maniac. So, believe it or not, if Bigfoot evidence ever comes to see the light of day and I'm involved, you'll never know it.

You shoot one only because that is what it is going to take for scientific documentation of the species. You need a specimen. I don't really care what anyone would say to me or about me. Fame has nothing to do with getting the job done and that is what it will take.

This is a good question. I think despite someone's attempt at side stepping the publicity it would be impossible. At some point, at some time, the truth is going to get out and the guy that "killed bigfoot" is going to receive both positive and negative publicity. Any money a guy got would probably be used to insulate himself and his family from the whack job's yelling death threats and picketing his house.

It comes down to a basic question, that only the person asking it can answer.

Does the good of a species outweigh your own personal privacy?

exactly norseman. i would love to see this put to rest,im not in love w/the mystery part of it at all.

Id like some concrete answers about squatches myself,so part of me would really want to shoot.

However, as i stated in another thread, as an avid hunter i know that after you squeeze the trigger you cant stop the bullet,and consequences can arise from that shot.consequences like privacy & possibly,for a short time at least ,of no sense of a normal life for you & your family. but would the rewards for you or the squatch species outweigh the risks?

exactly norseman. i would love to see this put to rest,im not in love w/the mystery part of it at all.

I look at some of these people side ways that seem to want to perpetuate the "mystery". Others are well intentioned people that seem to doggedly think they can prove it's existence without a body. Everyone has the right to their own opinion though...

Id like some concrete answers about squatches myself,so part of me would really want to shoot.

However, as i stated in another thread, as an avid hunter i know that after you squeeze the trigger you cant stop the bullet,and consequences can arise from that shot.

No, you cannot bring the bullet back. This is why a person needs to make the decision long before they ever go out into the field. And then of course there are a number of mitigating circumstances as to why a person wouldn't shoot. Not sure of a back stop, too dark, not a 100% ID, etc. But the philosophical question of "do I or don't I" needs to be answered way before you get to that situation. But theoretically a person could go into the situation with the intention of shooting, and back out because of personal feelings about the animal.

consequences like privacy & possibly,for a short time at least ,of no sense of a normal life for you & your family. but would the rewards for you or the squatch species outweigh the risks?

For me it's all about survivability of the species. I think more harm than good would come for the species if it's never officially recognized. I had one encounter as a child with tracks in deep snow, but I've never seen anything since. And I've packed mules and hunted in some of the most remote places in the Pac NW. Who knows? Maybe it's already too late.

I know this, I would feel much more guilt, if I saw one, had the chance to prove their existence once and for all to science and passed......only then to have the species die out. Than to shoot one and get some hate mail by some ignoramus.

Not one acre of land will be set aside by our government for a fable or a myth. Not one government dollar will be spent to study their habitat and sustainability if they remain a fairy tale. Not one scientist will be able to take up a full time career trying to save this species, if they remain a "hoax".

All that is left then is a bunch of hobbyists and amateur researchers with a whole bunch of circumstantial evidence that is not going to convince anyone in main stream science.......while the species quietly slips away.

That's my fear and assumption anyhow, their population is probably low and this makes them "fragile" as a species.

im an avid hunter,into guns,bows etc.,i enjoy hunting to say the least.with that said, weve seen it discussed here what to shoot them with & more importantly to kill or not to kill a sasquatch for proof,science etc.

So,lets say you did kill one,a hunter like me,slicktrick,sitting there at the news station w/ol' BF in the back of a truck for all the world to see.

and ALL the world would see,including every poacher,would be researchers,eco-whacko,internet crazy stalkers p-o'd cause you DID kill it...probably meaning that the outdoors property you enjoy would never be the same again thanks to every kind of trespasser you could imagine.....not to mention those same folks looking you up,disrupting your daily activities & life in general.

so if you shot one, would a little fame & $ be worth the potential headache?what could be the rewards VS risks?would it really be worth it?

If Ol' Slicktrick kills one ( which ain't likely to happen because when Ol' Slicktrick actually sees one, shooting it will be the last thing in his mind), his, and his family's name, will go down in infamy. Go find and and shoot an Ivory Billed Woodpecker, multiply the world-wide reaction by one million, and you'll get the idea. Headache? Man you don't have a clue!

Think about it. Do you believe the world is going to pat you on the back and heap accolades on you or anyone else for killing a hominid that will prove to be our nearest relative? Yeh, when the evidence is confirmed, you can bet there will be disruptions! And that is exactly why the government and the timber industry has done everything in their power to see that the truth is kept from the public. Think about the Spotted Owl. That little critter was in an isolated area of the NW. Multiply THAT by ten thousand. See why the big boys do their damnest to keep the public in the dark?

Conspiracy? You bet your butt! If you don't believe in those, don't vote this November.

I read a report about a guide that shot one and was attacked and killed. The forest service investigated and concluded it was a bear kill. The lady who survived reported it was a BF that ripped the man up. So if you shoot one, this is a possible consequence.

It would be better if someone could dart one with a knock out drug.

Go find and and shoot an Ivory Billed Woodpecker, multiply the world-wide reaction by one million, and you'll get the idea. Headache? Man you don't have a clue!

Yes but your analogy is wrong minded, because the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is a known endangered species!!!

Shoot one, prove they exist, put them on the endangered species list and then some ******* shoots one? Yah OK....same/same.

I read a report about a guide that shot one and was attacked and killed. The forest service investigated and concluded it was a bear kill.

I would love to read this report. Got a link?

The lady who survived reported it was a BF that ripped the man up. So if you shoot one, this is a possible consequence.

Ummmm, exactly. It's also the possible consequence for ANY dangerous game. I have no illusions as to what a 800 lbs pissed off bipedal ape could do to the human body.

It would be better if someone could dart one with a knock out drug.

And then what? I find this highly unpractical. Besides the uber short range of a air gun and inaccuracy? How do you get a sleeping 800 lbs ape out of the woods? What if it wakes up during transportation? How would a person secure it?

What would be better is if we found one dead by natural causes and intact.

Guest Creekfreak

Theres no way I would kill one unless it came into my house agressively to harm me even then I would feel bad about it simply becouse I do not enjoy killing anything deer for food is one thing but killing for any other reason is a mental disorder .

If I found a body sure I would let the world know but for fame and what goes along with it no way I like my private life to much I think I would frezze it then send it to Paul vella and let him take the heat !

If I shot one, it would be either by accident or because I didn't have a choice. If I were in the woods, I would leave the area immediately and try to get back to my vehicle. I would not bother to check to see if it was dead. I would activate my SPOT just in case it wasn't a mortal wound and it came after me. I would want someone to have some kind of lead in order to find my body for burial.

If it was coming in the house and I had to shoot it, I'ld have to call 911 after the fact because it would be way too big for me to move by myself and I don't want to get blood everywhere trying to hack it up into more manageable pieces. What the cops chose to do with it would be up to them.

Guest Creekfreak

There wouldent be any 911 calls from here the first order of business would be to secure the body on ice then get the proper people involved that are in this feild allready F the state .

Would I shoot? Probability, yes. The chances I will ever get the chance? For various reasons, less than zero. My personal belief is the type specimen will be killed when hit by a vehicle (believe me, a highway speed accident in which a Sas was killed could not be covered up in any way, shape or form by LE. To the contrary, it would be thoroughly investigated/documented, and that investigation would be public record as soon as it was completed) or shot by some 14 year old kid on a deer stand in the southern or south-eastern US...

I'm guessing field care of an elk or moose is probably similar to what it would be for a dead monkee. Having killed both elk & moose, I would guess I would do roughly the same thing. All the work starts when something this sized hits the ground. Just a guess here, but I'm thinking a guy would have to gut it (how the hell do you gut a huge hominid?!) then come back and retrieve the gut pile after getting the ape out, most likely in pieces.

I think I would take as many pieces as practical to include the head, a foot, and a hand, to the nearest university with a good biology department and turn them over in front of as many witnesses and with as much media documentation as possible. After that a number of decisions would have to be made, depending on how things play out...

The way the world is, I think it will be a big deal for a couple weeks then public interest will fade...

Edited by NDT

If Ol' Slicktrick kills one ( which ain't likely to happen because when Ol' Slicktrick actually sees one, shooting it will be the last thing in his mind), his, and his family's name, will go down in infamy. Go find and and shoot an Ivory Billed Woodpecker, multiply the world-wide reaction by one million, and you'll get the idea. Headache? Man you don't have a clue!

Think about it. Do you believe the world is going to pat you on the back and heap accolades on you or anyone else for killing a hominid that will prove to be our nearest relative? Yeh, when the evidence is confirmed, you can bet there will be disruptions! And that is exactly why the government and the timber industry has done everything in their power to see that the truth is kept from the public. Think about the Spotted Owl. That little critter was in an isolated area of the NW. Multiply THAT by ten thousand. See why the big boys do their damnest to keep the public in the dark?

Conspiracy? You bet your butt! If you don't believe in those, don't vote this November.

OK branco,hope you feel better buddy,getting that off your chest & all :) .

NOW,for starters, this ?? wasnt really about ME shooting so much as it was about anyone in general, questioning whether or not it would really be worth the consequences. ive actually reconsidered my position on shooting from definite YES to "well, lets think about this a bit",at least outside of self defense. thus , i posted this topic.

as far as our being our closest relative/potentially human, well ,that seems to be a matter of speculation at this point,many would argue big ape etc.,but thats another thread.

no im not looking for a pat on the back either, & as far as voting/govt conspiracy ,political discussions are still off limits on BFF i believe.(personally,i think politics is a sad joke in motion,but i digress :D )

as for your opening "if ol slicktrick sees one...on his mind....shooting..family, infamy , so forth...sir ,you have no way of knowing what would cross my mind,and you sure as #### dont know what ive seen or not seen either.

concerning what i would shoot ,id do like any man worth his salt would , anyone foolish enough to direct harm towards me & mine would be a target in short order, and i rarely miss.

hey, now I feel better :D :D