Researcher, Hunter Or Socialite, What Are You?

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Hey great post,

Yea i missed a few categories but the ball is rolling so it's all good.

I am a combo for sure i'll study the evidence, track the sightings and patterns. I use to go out alone on serious reports and track them deep into the back country until the signs stop or I ran into one. Stay out for one or two days on the trail if necessary until my food supply ran low.

One year i slipped down a very wet slope in the morning mist with mid high scrub & jammed my leg on some rocks flipped over and tore all the achilles tendens in half of my left leg. I had to crawl all the way back to my vehicle with my left foot flapping like a fish. Later the Dr. cut my leg open and reattached all the tendens. I wore a big leg cast for a few months than had many months more of rehab learning to walk again. During all that time I dug deeper into the science behind the creatures. Anyways I am not sure if i am hard core anymore ? I still go do interviews and searches/expeditions and track them when i find any signs on day trips.

I use to hunt but the excitement of blowing away an unsuspecting deer, moose or bear wore off fast for me. And I didn't really need the meat, however I do respect the pro's that do it right. Tracking Sasq is much more challenging and exciting and kinda scary if you run into one. It's a great way to test yourself and stay sharp.

I don't help out the Sasq groups I am not into exploiting them. I'll chat it up and swap stories and debate if needed the truths of the subject. Anyone into this need to experience at least one expedition or adventure . So they understand the big difference between being a fan sitting behind a computer and a field person in any capacity that active.

Anyways as some have said do it for yourself & enjoy the outdoors if something happens great. For good or bad you may have a life atlering experience. ;) tracker.

Edited by tracker

Guest midnightwalker1

I am like a lot or "researchers"... We are not hell bent for leather charging into the woods with nothing but finding, recording, and proving this species exist's... On the contrary I consider it a great camping, bonding with dear friends and if we find some evidence a bonus type outing... We have had some fantastic experiences Mojo and I, hell we have laughed hard at some of our experiences that I would not trade for any thing, and shook our heads in the wonder and awe at others and there have been quite a few....

I have always said you cannot explain fully what happens in the field, ya just have to get out there and live it... Find a fun/serious/active group and you will have the time of your life...

I agree. It is a lot of fun and makes the woods so much more interesting than they had been before. The friendships are also pretty awesome. I've met some very cool people that I ultimately wouldn't have gotten to know. Anyway, your point is well taken

i dont consider myself a BF researcher, i just try to pay attention.

basically im a guy who has spent the last 30 yrs or so actively in the woods & waters pursuing deer,turkey,bass,along w/ some camping etc.that keeps an eye out for tracks& listens for sounds that dont fit the norm.

i get some ideas of what to look & listen for by reading up,trying to weed out the bs for what seems a lil more plausible, as well as being aware of the hoaxing potential that exists.

long ago i mightve seen enough to get me into this,and some "what the......?" episodes, along w/the continued reports of everyday folks help to renew my interest .

point is ive spent a very large chunk of my life outdoors,i can breathe there,it fits me,& i fit in better there than other places.i know the usual sounds,sights,smells.....sometimes you experience the unusual.........that is, if youre paying attention ;)

Guest vilnoori

Don't knock amateurs, they have made significant scientific discoveries and perhaps the greatest of scientists were all amateurs, including Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1921/einstein-bio.html

http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047141431X.html

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/sciencetech/the-5-most-important-amateur-scientists/940

So onward us amateur sasquatch researchers do go, hiking, recording and photographing in our spare moments. I hike with an eye open and a camera painted black to minimize its techy look. I watch carefully for tracks, and use hunting techniques of walking silently and slowly, with an irregular pace and frequent pauses. Sometimes I am just hunting mushrooms or birding, or just taking a few pics, or whatever, but I do keep my eyes and ears open. Maybe someday I'll get lucky.

I consider myself to be a hunter except that I only use a camera. That wouldn't prevent me from gathering other evidence if I found it. The only way I am a researcher is that I am interested in the subject and read about it and related science subjects to make more sense out of it. The only way I would kill one would be self defense. It would violate my moral standards to kill any ape and since we don't know how close to humans they are, it is even worse than killing other nonhuman apes.

Guest midnightwalker1

You cannot research what you cannot even find. I prefer the term investigator.

I learned quite a bit about the sas before I had a sighting. I tracked them and learned some of their movement habits, where they'd grub, what they'd do with trees and why (pretty logical guess) etc etc. It was later that I figured out that I did not need to find them, they were alongside me probably most of the time observing my observations. Kind of ironic isn't it. Best defense against nosey people coming around your home is a good offense and that's what they did and do with their scouts. Now if you're no where near an area that they frequent then I agree. Otherwise, call it what you will but research certainly applies if you know what you're doing.

I would say I am somewhere between researcher and socialite. I am NOT a hard core researcher at all, I just try to keep my eyes and ears open. I also like listening and talking to others about the subject.

Guest Grazhopprr

Did some squirrel hunting as a kid, and was NRA with trophies and medals for competition shooting, but I've never been an avid hunter. Camping was glorious, but once I got a licence, I gave up tents. Gold panning was a great excuse for going out there, until I had my sighting, and pretty much stayed out of the woods for 15 years. Ghost hunting became a focus for several years, but more for the tech junkie in me, trying to find out why CCD's saw them, and we didn't. It all came together when BFing came back in to my interests about 5 years ago or so. My tech junkie side found a use for the ghost hunting tech, with infrared video, thermal, and audio research. I've just been tip toeing around the woods the last couple of years, trying to test my fears and getting some infrared research done. I don't want to be freaked out, I'm not a horror movie fan, and adrenalin addiction isn't part of my makeup. The absolute awe of something so perfect in it's environment, so massive and powerful, having been so close to me in the past, I just want to see it again,,,,,,from a distance. Being with others with the same mission, is a bonus, and a pleasure. I research the tech, and investigate the use of it. I have no other motivations, than just leaving nature alone, as an observer.

I'm just interested in seeing something proven about this creature, it is just a shame to be a life long enthusiast and pass on without ever knowing the truth. I know my chances of seeing one are slim given my occupation and location of residence, so when I do get out there to look , I'm very focused on getting evidence of any kind, and that interest also transfers to my understanding of what would be proof. So I would say I'm an amatuer researcher with a focus on the field work and evidence.

Hey there Graz, good to see you drop in. I just recently realized that one of my older Hi 8 camcorders was a vintage before the night shot exposure disable that Sony put into production. I did some daytime IR filming the other day in the field.:)

Guest tracker

Hey southernyahoo,

It's never too late join an expedition or take weekend trips to an area's of high sightings. Some of the best class A & B's were from visiting closed for the season parks. Even if you don't hike deep into the back country you got a chance. They seem to come in closer to snoop around for food or are curious, when there's only a few us around. Do some tree knocking, it works sometimes. if your brave enough ! :o

Can you guys do that in the USA or is it tresspassing?

Edited by tracker

Hi Tracker-

I'm one of the luckier ones. My area gets locked up tight at the end of the season, but as property owners we have a key to the gate. So we can get in there when others can't.

I learned quite a bit about the sas before I had a sighting. I tracked them and learned some of their movement habits, where they'd grub, what they'd do with trees and why (pretty logical guess) etc etc. It was later that I figured out that I did not need to find them, they were alongside me probably most of the time observing my observations. Kind of ironic isn't it. Best defense against nosey people coming around your home is a good offense and that's what they did and do with their scouts. Now if you're no where near an area that they frequent then I agree. Otherwise, call it what you will but research certainly applies if you know what you're doing.

If you hadn't seen one, then you didn't know for sure what you were tracking. After reading your posts for a bit, we need another category; storyteller.

Edited by fenris