Researcher, Hunter Or Socialite, What Are You?

Guest tracker

tracker spoketh:

Hey I may of forgotten a couple of types? help me out here. not sure what to call these types lets say hard core skeptics or big BS'ers/story tellers for now?

So what about those who couldn't care less about Sasquatch secretly. But become members maybe just to be skeptics with an advantage over the others trying to prove their existence? The burden of proof falls hard onto the believers laps in our case. On the other side of the coin we have the BS'ers that tell fantastic stories but at least hopefully they are here because they are into the subject. Or are they just here to shine others on?

Consider how easy the sport would be to just doubt everything or make stuff up for one reason or another. It is an open membership after all anyone can join. With a little fake interest or common knowledge of BF and an email address. You can have lots of fun at others expense. The mods deserve alot of credit for trying to balance everything out.

Maybe someone else can articulate this better than me? anyways it makes you wonder?

I would break it up actually a little bit more, and add a category:

Skeptic-Curious: Skeptics who come here with a genuine interest in the subject but have not yet been convinced. They doubt but still manage it would be cool if the monkey was out there.

Die Hard Skeptic: Interested as in the folklore maybe, but mind is made up, aint no bigfoot.

JREF Troll: Same as die hard skeptic but their real purpose is to poke fun at believers and apparently have nothing better to do. Similar to some of the Atheist posters in the JREF religuion/philosophy section. (USed only for comparison as they have the same type of attitude)

Youtube "Every sound and shadow is Bigfoot": We've seen very recent examples of that, common traits, they know that precious secret that the rest of us have missed, and when pressed for evidence you get audio of questionable nature, blobs, red circles and arrows.

Campfire storyteller: I'll use Sasfooty as an example here and not in a bad way nessicarily, they have admitted that they have no decisive evidence, just acedotes, which some of us find entertaining either way.

Motivated Storyteller: For those familiar with a guy named Bulletmaker, he claims he has had 25 years of activity on his property and just happens to rent out deer stands to hunters at the same time. This is quite likely a sales tactic and thus he's a good example of this subset in my opinion.

Paranormalist Weirdo vs Traditional Romantic: Romantics are the ones who tend to believe more often than they don't while the weirdoes also go so far as to believe it's a demon, werewolf, alien, robot, gubment plot, you get the idea....

Attention ***** (My addition): This one I saw while reading the Bigfootery Enquirer last night, there was a blog post on there quoting a certain Bigfooter who was commenting/whining about "If you get attention, they attack you", quoting them: "I was noone in 2005 and on a TV show (monsterquest) in 2006, and got dogpiled for it". The mindset behind the comments occurred to me as a separate category. My broader commentary on it being, it came across like "getting attention" was the motivation for this individual. I'm tempted to start a separate discussion on the attention seeking thing in it's own right, but for the sake of this one, it was seemingly their motivation to put their name out there and they turned around just as quickly that they played the victim card when folks criticized what they saw. Another question I would raise here is, does seeking such attention allow you an ideal atmosphere to do quality research where confidentiality is inherently a part?

Guest vilnoori

I mentioned that, more as a joke, but I do recall about 5-10 years ago seeing an advert for them in a large US based outfitters catalogue that offered them as a product for hunters. Along with orange vests, toques, hunter's caps, etc.

Apparently there was a demand for this product due to some over anxious, out there firing at a flash of white...I'm assuming they might have been some incidents where it was mistakenly interpreted, of this white flash.... as a tail of the quarry...ie; white tail deer, rabbit...depending on the height.

Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Les

LOL! That cracks me up! White tail!!

• 11 months later...

To anwers you questions:

Sure there's going to be some members with combo's but one will out weigh the other which one are you? I am personaly pro kill so you would probably put me in the hunter catagory. But the only reason I am pro kill is to gatter more evidence (a typespecimen no other evidence will prove the existence of Bigfoot)such as what resarcher do I personaly do reasech on Bigfoot. So looking at the question why would I don't be a reasercher who is willing to collect more evidence. so would that help to answer your question of Are you truley a reasercher if you have more weapons than devices or vice versa. Dr. Gover S. Krants was a active Bigfoot hunter but I would conserder a him a resarcher. What would you reach for first when your become scared during an encounter a weapon or a recording device? I would reach for a gun before a camera even if I was not scared. A camera would most likely prove they exist. After the first Bigfoot is brought in then I see no further need to be a Hunter. So is a hunter some times a reasercher who is willing to gather more evidence than some reaserchers are?

Edited by Jeff Albertson