Who Are The Real Experts In This Field?

Guest tracker

Guest midnightwalker1

Well, I once was given advice by "professionals" that there was no evidence anything of the sort of BF had been through a particular area I was researching. They did not dissuade me from continuing my search and were encouraging of my efforts. My sighting happened within five months of that prognostication and very nearby to that area. Though the advice was taken at face value I did not "quit" as I knew what I was up against. Who's the expert? It is anybody with the self-confidence and self-reliance to stake their reputation on their experience and knowledge. B)

Classic! I had the same advice from another person that was also a "professional" and/or "expert." Same thing as what you said. I went with my gut. I hear these so-called experts spout off their stuff that I know to be an absolute falsity and just shake my head. Good post bipedalist.

Edited by midnightwalker1

Okay are there any true experts in this field?

There really aren't any experts, IMO. The average Joe or Jane amateur in the field doing investigations, knows as much about the subject, as the big names in BF research. Unfortunately at present, this knowledge is not hard core facts, and is not going to convince most folks, that haven't had an incident happen to them, personally.

You are correct, that there are low profile folks out there doing and experiencing some interesting things, that just don't want to get involved with the BS in the BF community and internet forums.

BFF Patron

Classic! I had the same advice from another person that was also a "professional" and/or "expert." Same thing as what you said. I went with my gut. I hear these so-called experts spout off their stuff that I know to be an absolute falsity and just shake my head. Good post bipedalist.

Thanks, and as you said so truly yourself, the gut and intuition combined with knowledge and experience is the icing on the cake. :)

Edited to add a modicum of serendipity doesn't hurt either. :D:D or just some serenity in the woods when the "dips" get you down. :P

Edited by bipedalist

The reality or lack of reality of something being studied is irrelevant to the issue of whether or not one can be an expert in it.

The Star Trek universe (to use an example)is not real, but there are plenty of people who have spent significant time and energy studying all there is to know about that universe, as revealed through the various tv series and movies.

There are plenty of people who have spent significant time and effort studying what has been reported on the subject of Bigfoot, and therefore can creditably be considered experts in that subject. A short list on the "professional" side would include (but not be limited to): Greene, Byrne, Kranz, Meldrum, Fahrenbach, et al.

On the "lay" side, if one were inclined to research BF in the Kiamichis, one would be wise to consult Timberghost and his associates who have been researching and dealing with the issue in that neck of the proverbial woods for years. If one were to want to look further into the "kill zones" in Texas, then BigTex would be a valuable person to look up, as he has done the most work on them.

Absolutely, positively, NO EXPERTS on Bigfoot. How can you be an expert on something you cannot even FIND? I am one of the ones who came looking for help from these "experts". I was a fool.

Guest midnightwalker1

Absolutely, positively, NO EXPERTS on Bigfoot. How can you be an expert on something you cannot even FIND? I am one of the ones who came looking for help from these "experts". I was a fool.

First of all, you're making lots of assumptions in your statement. Many of us can simply go to our areas and FIND the encounter. I am sure to be one of many on this site (at least a few I can think of) that do exactly that and/or live amongst them (they're on the person's property). I personally have become very familiar with some of the things that they do and why, simply by being out there time and again. I am not saying I know it all (nor do any of the others) but we individually and collectively know quite a bit. Now let's look at the word expert that you discount because we "cannot even FIND" them. According to Merriam-Websters, the definition of EXPERT is

obsolete : experienced

: having, involving, or displaying special skill or knowledge derived from training or experience

— ex·pert·ly adverb

— ex·pert·ness noun

now let's look at the word EXPERIENCE.

Definition of EXPERIENCE

a : direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge

b : the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

a : practical knowledge, skill, or practice derived from direct observation of or participation in events or in a particular activity

b : the length of such participation <has 10 years' experience in the job>

a : the conscious events that make up an individual life

b : the events that make up the conscious past of a community or nation or humankind generally

: something personally encountered, undergone, or lived through

Bottomline, do it often enough and have some pertinent skillsets then you may be experienced. Using the definitions above, those folks that I described above would be considered EXPERTS AND/OR EXPERIENCED if they have spent countless hours engaging the sas or even studying their habits. Just like medicine there are different levels of expertise. One guy might be an expert tracker with the sasquatch, while another might be skillful at engaging them and gaining their trust (by understanding their values and reactions to different things). There may even be an EXPERT at their langauge (ala Scott Nelson). Meldrum is an expert on their anatomical foot structure even though he STATES there are only 300 (better for grant applications you know). Therefore, your statement does not take into account the meaning of the word expert or experienced.

I personally consider myself extremely skilled at going out being amongst them, simply because I have a passion for doing so, truly enjoy their company and understand certain things about them. Do I go around with a title under my posts that says Director and Expert of Sasquatch Research Southeast? No. But put me out in the field and I am fairly adept at the area of expertise that I enjoy most (interaction and engaging them). Am I confidant? Certainly. Like I said, I and others have spent countless hours doing whatever it is we do and know that area of expertise well. If you don't, then your technique needs work. I've played golf all my life but I suck. I've never had anyone help me formally. With this field of research, I have asked for advice from EXPERTS and more importantly LISTENED. Simple as that.

I am of the opinion that the only experts in the field would appear to be the Sasquatchs.

indie has nailed it,well said my friend B)

Edited by slicktrick

Admin

I'll second that and I'm certain they have photos of "us" that are clear :huh:

River, leave my Bigfoot Groupies alone! :)

I will reiterate the thoughts of many, that there are no experts in the Bigfoot field. However, there are MANY who are WELL-INFORMED enthusiasts. Being well-informed makes you more aware, experienced, topically educated,knowledgeable and in some aspects trained on the subject, but it does not make you an expert, unless.....

You personally have had a Class A visual and/or physical encounter, which in that case could define you as a Expert Witness, which can be defined in many different ways but as relevant here:

•a witness who has knowledge not normally possessed by the average person concerning the topic that he is to testify about

link: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

River, leave my Bigfoot Groupies alone! :)

I will reiterate the thoughts of many, that there are no experts in the Bigfoot field. However, there are MANY who are WELL-INFORMED enthusiasts. Being well-informed makes you more aware, experienced, topically educated,knowledgeable and in some aspects trained on the subject, but it does not make you an expert, unless.....

You personally have had a Class A visual and/or physical encounter, which in that case could define you as a Expert Witness, which can be defined in many different ways but as relevant here:

•a witness who has knowledge not normally possessed by the average person concerning the topic that he is to testify about

link: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Many who are well informed about what? Primate foot morphology? Native American folklore? Crypto -linguist? There is no proof that any of these topics relate to Bigfoot. There is no proof about ANYTHING in regards to Bigfoot. Sure the guesses may be more educated but they are still GUESSES.

I have had a class A visual. I would never define myself as a "expert witness". That's just plain silly.

First of all, you're making lots of assumptions in your statement. Many of us can simply go to our areas and FIND the encounter. I am sure to be one of many on this site (at least a few I can think of) that do exactly that and/or live amongst them (they're on the person's property). I personally have become very familiar with some of the things that they do and why, simply by being out there time and again. I am not saying I know it all (nor do any of the others) but we individually and collectively know quite a bit. Now let's look at the word expert that you discount because we "cannot even FIND" them. According to Merriam-Websters, the definition of EXPERT is

obsolete : experienced

: having, involving, or displaying special skill or knowledge derived from training or experience

— ex·pert·ly adverb

— ex·pert·ness noun

now let's look at the word EXPERIENCE.

Definition of EXPERIENCE

a : direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge

b : the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

a : practical knowledge, skill, or practice derived from direct observation of or participation in events or in a particular activity

b : the length of such participation <has 10 years' experience in the job>

a : the conscious events that make up an individual life

b : the events that make up the conscious past of a community or nation or humankind generally

: something personally encountered, undergone, or lived through

Bottomline, do it often enough and have some pertinent skillsets then you may be experienced. Using the definitions above, those folks that I described above would be considered EXPERTS AND/OR EXPERIENCED if they have spent countless hours engaging the sas or even studying their habits. Just like medicine there are different levels of expertise. One guy might be an expert tracker with the sasquatch, while another might be skillful at engaging them and gaining their trust (by understanding their values and reactions to different things). There may even be an EXPERT at their langauge (ala Scott Nelson). Meldrum is an expert on their anatomical foot structure even though he STATES there are only 300 (better for grant applications you know). Therefore, your statement does not take into account the meaning of the word expert or experienced.

I personally consider myself extremely skilled at going out being amongst them, simply because I have a passion for doing so, truly enjoy their company and understand certain things about them. Do I go around with a title under my posts that says Director and Expert of Sasquatch Research Southeast? No. But put me out in the field and I am fairly adept at the area of expertise that I enjoy most (interaction and engaging them). Am I confidant? Certainly. Like I said, I and others have spent countless hours doing whatever it is we do and know that area of expertise well. If you don't, then your technique needs work. I've played golf all my life but I suck. I've never had anyone help me formally. With this field of research, I have asked for advice from EXPERTS and more importantly LISTENED. Simple as that.

without proof, thats just another enthusiast speaking

Many who are well informed about what? Primate foot morphology? Native American folklore? Crypto -linguist?

Yes, all of the above, and many more topics that some associate with Bigfoot. There are those right here on this forum who are obviously more informed on certain topics than others, including DNA, the Patterson Film, game cameras, infrared, night vision, etc. All of these examples have been used at one time or the other while talking Bigfoot.

There is no proof that any of these topics relate to Bigfoot. There is no proof about ANYTHING in regards to Bigfoot. Sure the guesses may be more educated but they are still GUESSES.

Not following you John. I didn't say any of these topics relate to Bigfoot, only that some are more knowledgable than others on certain topics, which DOESN'T make you an expert. Anyone who claims to be an expert on Bigfoot is more than likely very well-informed on certain aspects of the topic, but can't be classified as an expert on something unproven.

I have had a class A visual. I would never define myself as a "expert witness". That's just plain silly.

You may think it's silly, but by the definition I provided you may not have a choice.

Edited by Hogsback

• masterbarber locked this topic