Do You Believe The "jacko" Story?

"Jacko" Poll  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Found this by accident.

NAME: Hannington, Ernest B.C.

LIFE DATES:

BIRTHPLACE:

PLACE OF DEATH:

WHERE ACTIVE: Yale.

HOME ADDRESS-YEAR: Yale.

WORK INTERVAL: early 1880s.

BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A physician employed by Andrew Onderdonk during construction of the Port Moody to Eagle Pass section of the Canadian Pacific Railway, Dr. Hannington’s identity as a photographer was uncovered by independent art curator Roger Boulet.

A Charles Francis Hannington (1848-1930), relationship unknown, was employed as a CPR route surveyor and made a trip from Quesnelle through the Rocky Mountains in the winter of 1874-1875. Hannington's account of his journey, in the form of letters to his brother Edward Hannington, were published in the Public Archives of Canada Report of 1887.

COLLECTIONS:

IDENTIFYING MARKS:

REFERENCES: Public Archives of Canada (1887: cx-cxxxii) Mattison (1997b).

And? That doesn't prove that there must be Jacko pics in order for there to have been a Jacko.

I tried to post earlier (but apparently the post didn't hold) about how spoiled us Net jockies are to have millions of images at our disposal with just a few keystrokes.

For historical materials it just ain't that easy. After all this time many of the pics and negatives that were NOT lost/destroyed way back then day have degraded and nor been lost now.

One of the most photgraphed events in the 1800s, the Civil War, actually is represented by a very small percentage of the pics taken at the time. As an example, one photographer I read about sold off all his glass plate "negatives" after the war for use as greenhouse windows, where the sun bleached out the images.

Sure we can develop scenarios in which, during a time when natural curiosities were the rage among the world's elite and photography had matured from technological marvel to legitimate art form, that humans managed to capture and hold for some time a unique species of "wild man" the discovery of which would instantly have been regarded as one of the top wonders of the natural world, but no one managed to photograph it. We may further develop scenarios in which, upon the death of the unfortunate creature whose remains would have been among the most prized possessions of any museum in the world, no one managed to photograph, draw, or most importantly, preserve those remains.

Neither group of scenarios is, however, bloody likely.

And? That doesn't prove that there must be Jacko pics in order for there to have been a Jacko.

I tried to post earlier (but apparently the post didn't hold) about how spoiled us Net jockies are to have millions of images at our disposal with just a few keystrokes.

For historical materials it just ain't that easy. After all this time many of the pics and negatives that were NOT lost/destroyed way back then day have degraded and nor been lost now.

One of the most photgraphed events in the 1800s, the Civil War, actually is represented by a very small percentage of the pics taken at the time. As an example, one photographer I read about sold off all his glass plate "negatives" after the war for use as greenhouse windows, where the sun bleached out the images.

Never said it did, I just found it interesting that there was 1 active photographer in the area at the time.

Don't read into things that aren't there

Found this by accident.

NAME: Hannington, Ernest B.C.

LIFE DATES:

BIRTHPLACE:

PLACE OF DEATH:

WHERE ACTIVE: Yale.

HOME ADDRESS-YEAR: Yale.

WORK INTERVAL: early 1880s.

BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A physician employed by Andrew Onderdonk during construction of the Port Moody to Eagle Pass section of the Canadian Pacific Railway, Dr. Hannington’s identity as a photographer was uncovered by independent art curator Roger Boulet.....

Neat find. However, since the kind doctor might have been doctoring elsewhere than Yale during the time Jacko was there (since in those days "house calls" were common), Dr. Hannington may not have been there during the critical days.

There is just no way to know why we have no photographs of Jacko. Indeed, Dr. Hannington may very well have taken dozens of photographs of the beast, and they are no longer existing, for all we know.

Hunster

On another note,the circumstances around the jacko story sort of make sense.

The Fraser Canyon at that time was a very rugged area, and there was very little human activity once you got away from the Fraser River.

The railroad was being built through that area during the 1880's, so it would be something that a curious youngster could be attracted to.

You could make an argument that the perfect storm of circumstances could have lined up to have this happen

Exactly. The same is true of the PGF subject:

The footprints at the PGF scene match footprints cast previously in the area. The area was being opened up by the timber industry. After the filming, sasquatch activity decreased.

This is precisely what one would expect of a very shy, reclusive creature as humanity forged into what was previously wilderness.

It's also the pattern of a creature destined for extinction...........

Huntster, on 17 November 2010 - 06:42 PM, said:

Indeed, Anchorage Alaska is the largest city in North America north of Edmonton, Alberta,

One of the beauties of Canada is there is "no buggers here"

Our landmass is greater than the USA and we have about 1/10th the population.

I have not looked at our last census but in the 1990's 80% of Canada's population lived within 200 miles of the Canada/USA border.

Yup. Canada is the second largest nation on Earth in land area, but your population is less than that of the state of California. You are correct that 80% of that population lives within 200 miles of the U.S. border.

If you meant remote as in hard to get to I would disagree as Yale is on the edge of the Fraser Valley, but if you meant remote as in nothing around it, then yes you are correct.

Actually, I meant both. In 1884, with the railroad just recently finished to Yale, good access was still fairly fresh. Granted, riverboat travel had been available for some time and the new railroad made access even better, but that was brand new. And the Fraser River was the center of it all, both the boating and rail traffic. The surrounding area was still very wild.

I would think that the only state in the US that is similar in this regards is Alaska

Indeed. Consider: Alaska is over twice the size of Texas. If we were a nation, we would be the 20th largest on Earth. Our population is less than that of Long Beach, California, and over half of our population lives in the city of Anchorage. And Alaska is nicely sandwiched between the two largest wilderness areas on Earth: Siberia, and northern Canada, with the North Pacific to our south and the Arctic Ocean to our north. We have more coastline than the rest of the United States combined, and on two oceans.

We have more coastline than the rest of the United States combined, and on two oceans.

OK, quit braggin'. We're already fully steeped in envy of you Alaskans - now you're just rubbing it in.

OK, quit braggin'. We're already fully steeped in envy of you Alaskans - now you're just rubbing it in.

Sorry Professor, and it might be a little bit of "braggin", but sometimes I think lots of folks really don't fully comprehend the magnitude of the northern wilderness, especially if one considers it east of the Urals all the way to eastern Greenland. It boggles the mind.

Make sure to tune in to Sarah Palin's Alaska on The Learning Channel. While still a "reality show", I did catch the first episode, and there was some good footage. The lake where they were fishing with the bears was not a national park, state park, etc. Those were not "park bears". And the Palin home is right in "beautiful, downtown" Wasilla. She has a beautiful view of the Chugach Range (but not as good as the view I have from my house).

(I threw my lovely Mrs. Huntster into Lake Lucille right about where the Palin home now sits in the summer of 1976..........and she still married me!)

As a kid, I remember going to the carnival and seeing things like a huge, frozen, great white shark, a supposed "living" fossil, and many other oddities. In each one of these attractions photography was strictly prohibited. If Jacko was to become a sideshow attraction, I can easily see why it was not photographed.

Granted, the "living fossil" and many other attractions were totally bogus. But some were very real, like the frozen shark and the enormous cow. The cow was alive and well.

The lack of a Jacko photograph doesn't raise any red flags for me. There are just as many reasons (IMO) for each scenario (pics/no pics).

The disappearance of the creature is what raises the alarm for me, and the sketchy details about that disappearance. But this kind of odd account also seems normal for the sideshow industry, if that's really what Jacko might have been intended for. Anything involved in the "circus" industry makes me suspicious from the start. But according to what we have read, the people who (may have) discovered Jacko weren't initially thinking "sideshow dollars". This could be a possible explanation for the initial stories and subsequent mysterious disappearance.

Guest jtaylorcubsfan

Its geat story and Im sure there is some truth to it....unfortunatly with a case that old we will never know. I remember a few yrs back I saw a pic online. It was black and white and showed what seemed to be an unusual ape like creature. Im not sure but I believe the creature was dead and was posed for the camera. Dos anyone else remember this or was I dreaming?

I remember a few yrs back I saw a pic online. It was black and white and showed what seemed to be an unusual ape like creature. Im not sure but I believe the creature was dead and was posed for the camera. Dos anyone else remember this or was I dreaming?

This one?:

drfrancois.jpg

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameranthropoides_loysi

Believe it or not, skeptics want everybody to ignore that one, too. I guess Bob H is in that getup, as well.

That's why photographs don't resolve anything, why a photograph (or lack thereof) of Jacko is meaningless, and why only a carcass will do.

Edited by Huntster

Guest jtaylorcubsfan

This one?:

drfrancois.jpg

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameranthropoides_loysi

Believe it or not, skeptics want everybody to ignore that one, too. I guess Bob H is in that getup, as well.

That's why photographs don't resolve anything, why a photograph (or lack thereof) of Jacko is meaningless, and why only a carcass will do.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! Good job!!! I havent seen that in years. Its still kinda creepy.

A photograph of an easily recognizable spider monkey does not mean that a photograph of something clearly unique would not be a monumental development in cryptozoology.

Actually, I meant both. In 1884, with the railroad just recently finished to Yale, good access was still fairly fresh. Granted, riverboat travel had been available for some time and the new railroad made access even better, but that was brand new. And the Fraser River was the center of it all, both the boating and rail traffic. The surrounding area was still very wild.

There were also settlements all along the Fraser Valley, and the Caribou trail was well established.

It is really not until you pass Yale that you enter the Fraser Canyon.

Funny thing is today Yale is one of those little towns that are in decline, this thread has put it in my mind to visit the museum next spring and do a little research

Neat find. However, since the kind doctor might have been doctoring elsewhere than Yale during the time Jacko was there (since in those days "house calls" were common), Dr. Hannington may not have been there during the critical days.

There is just no way to know why we have no photographs of Jacko. Indeed, Dr. Hannington may very well have taken dozens of photographs of the beast, and they are no longer existing, for all we know.

Really to be fair it states that he was active in Yale in the early 1880's so there is the possibility that he wasn't even in the area in 1884.