Why Do Some Want To Believe So Much?

Doc Holliday

I love the way people make excuses for the poor behavior on the internet. I don't know if it's a generational thing or what. Calling someone a liar is a serious matter in the world I grew up in and I suspect in the rural world that many bigfoot witnesses grew up in.

Ill second that,i was taught a man is only as good as his word.to call someone an outright liar....well, to borrow from Yosemite Sam @ Saturday morning 'toons way back....."dems fightin' words",those w/a little more "mileage" may feel the same.

agree or disagree w/sasquatch belief/acceptance true or false,but it can be done in a civil manner B)

Guest Ambermae

I think most of us can agree that Llawgoch was out of line and now Admin have dealt with it, can we go back to the topic now? :)

I think some people who are unsure of Bigfoot's existence (like me) would like to believe because it's fun and interesting, i enjoy learning about different animals, both real and mythical or unknown. I enjoy reading the sightings and trying to figure if Bigfoot is real what human behaviour it exhibits and what animal behaviour it exhibits. I'm interested in the possible Bigfoot kill site video not because i think Bigfoot killed the skunk but because i wonder what did kill that skunk and why it broke through the pipe to get it.

I would like Bigfoot to be real because i think if it was to be proved real then it would be one of the most interesting animals found so far.

Llawgoch is intitled to his opinion...
You are certainly entitled to your personal opinion...

Entitled to an opinion? Just being my normal ass hat here, but...

You Are Never Entitled to Your Opinion - www.overcomingbias.com/2006/12/you_are_never_e.html

Is anyone entitled to their own opinion? - kalimna.blogspot.com/2007/03/everyone-is-entitled-to-their-own.html

Sorry, but you are not entitled to your opinion - www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article467194.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

I'm/he's/she's entitled to my/his/her opinion seems to be something people say when they can't address the argument. www.ukskeptics.com/article.php?dir=articles&article=I_am_entitled_to_an_opinion.php

Oh, so now it lets me respond. (wouldn't let me post links) <_<

RayG

I'm sorry Ray, but the links aren't working.

I couldn't post them as links, so had to take off the http part.

That said, I take it that you don't think everyone is entitled to an opinion? Why?

Because it implies we should give equal weight to whatever opinion is presented, whether it is supported by facts or not. It does nothing to support, address, or present an argument.

Copy and paste those links for a better explanation.

RayG

OK, I got to about the third article and it got redundant. All of them were based on an opinion about philosophical points, that's all I can say about it. But getting back on track of the topic, why do we want to believe? I don't think it is a question that applies to me personally, I don't believe, I know that bigfoot exists. I could go into it, but I think everyone has personal experiences to back up why they feel the way they do. So if you saw one, you saw one, whether anyone believes you or not is their choice.

I couldn't post them as links, so had to take off the http part.

Because it implies we should give equal weight to whatever opinion is presented, whether it is supported by facts or not. It does nothing to support, address, or present an argument.

Copy and paste those links for a better explanation.

RayG

Ray, quite frankly the entire subject here is going to be opinions mixed with facts for and against. If we are not entitled to post opinions based on facts or knowledge to share with others, why do we bother to discuss, might as well just close the entire forum, IMHO of course.

Many were all wondering when you would show up here. :lol:

I'm not arguing that members aren't entitled to post an opinion on any matter they choose. However, when someone says, "I'm entitled to my opinion", it's absolutely meaningless, and adds nothing whatsoever to the argument at hand.

Can't say it any plainer than that.

Show up 'here', as in this thread, or show up 'here' as in the forum? :D

RayG

Guest FuriousGeorge

I think some people who are unsure of Bigfoot's existence (like me) would like to believe because it's fun and interesting, i enjoy learning about different animals, both real and mythical or unknown. I enjoy reading the sightings and trying to figure if Bigfoot is real what human behaviour it exhibits and what animal behaviour it exhibits. I'm interested in the possible Bigfoot kill site video not because i think Bigfoot killed the skunk but because i wonder what did kill that skunk and why it broke through the pipe to get it.

I would like Bigfoot to be real because i think if it was to be proved real then it would be one of the most interesting animals found so far.

Same here

Saves me from typing... thanks

Guest FuriousGeorge

RayG,

I'm with you on that.

"Just my 2 cents" bugs the heck out of me as well.

.........apologizing for the double post is also annoying

sorry

SSR Team

Has absolutely zero to do with the choice of words buddy. Both of us stated our opinion that he/she had the right to express an opinion they held. I'll defend their right to do so until the cows come home.

But, can't they do it without insulting other members? I certainly could. Suspect you could as well.

I could HPR, of course i could, but it has EVERYTHING to do with the choice of words as their choice of words were insulting & that was the whole point here & why i/we are writing now..

Apparently, there are some rules here. Kudo's to you Mods/Admins for stepping in despite what Bobby O may think. Respect for other opinions should rank highly in the rules. Calling others with opposing opinions liars & idiots certainly should be out of bounds. I'm personally encouraged that the warning level for this poster was raised.

No need for that, i was just giving my opinion on it, poor form for using my name.. :angry:

Well done on your end in policing the forum! A troll is a troll, and despite the calls for a *cautious approach* by some who truly have no clue what Mods/Admins are confronted with on a daily basis, I say moderate the forum fairly and evenly. Respect for others should be high on the priority list, and name calling should be discouraged.

My hat is off to the Admins for taking the appropriate action on this one for the good of the forum!

You forgot to add " in my opinion "..;)

Oh & congrats on becoming a Mod again HPR, i'm sure you'll have hours of fun in your new/old vocation.. :)

Onwards & upwards BFF & i don't want to be bashed here for my " opinion " ( & for the record i have been a Moderator on a Website that draws in upwards of 5,000 Accounts per day & have been since 2005, just guess we see things differently but it is a different topic where strong languge is allowed & name calling although isn't fully allowed, it all depends on the context, that's all ) especially when the Person that we're talking about seemd to have dissapeared.. :)

Ok i'm done with this after agreeing with JC as i tried to add to someone else's answer but it got me beyond nowhere... :)

Peace & Love..

Edit : Sorry, my bold within HPR's quote ^^..

SSR Team

But it is all about the choice of words and internet social skills in general. We are all adults here and thus we do not need to hurl insulting names or statements regardless of who it bothers or who it does not. This conversation may be pathetic but it would not be taking place if people policed their own statements.

I don't disagree at all John & if more people had your outlook, the World & BF Forums & Internet Forums in general, would be a much better place for sure..;thumbsup;

• 6 years later...

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I'd never seen it (believe it predates me on the Forums).

I think that the fringes of this topic - the true believers and the scoftics - are the ones with the "need to believe." 

Both fringes have buried themselves in the humdrum, the true believers abhorring this and wondering how they got there, and the scoftics believing that humdrum mundane is The Stuff of Life and variety and mystery sheer hell.  Of course, the entire history of science loudly contradicts both fringes; we already know metric megatons of stuff that makes sasquatch look extremely humdrum by comparison.  But it is the nature of people immersed in the humdrum to miss that.

Then of course there are those of us of scientific bent.  We don't 'believe in' ANYTHING.  We're here because of the evidence.