If You Were A Sasquatch How Would You Do It ?

Guest vilnoori

Also, I am pretty stealthy when I want to. It comes from hiking a lot on private property when I was a teen, lol. I have tracked a buck in snow and met him, standing there waiting for me and looking at me like "what the heck do you think you're doing?" LOL And once, trying out my scent masking techniques, walked up a hill in early morning in the dark, sat on a stump and was gradually surrounded by a herd of deer feeding. You learn a lot about stealth if you take up still hunting, especially if you are a bow hunter. It has a lot to do with awareness of wind direction, masking your own scent, and sound (pants fabric, tread, and the speed and irregularity of your steps). Also masking any shine on your equipment with cammo tape, black paint or mud or something (buttons, glasses, camera etc.) All this stuff probably comes in handy in squatching as well.

Edited by vilnoori

The acrobatics was exactly what I was talking about regarding getting hit by a car. I used to do a lot of those same kind of moves in my gymnastic routines. Ballet gives you a sense of balance that never leaves you and this is called kinesthesia. Once learned, you never forget, and if your sense of survival depends on it, I bet it's an ability learned early in childhood and fine tuned right on through adulthood.

Vil is right, they seem to be built for cooler weather, along with the adaptation to cold, and can probably tolerate much colder temps than we can. I'm still trying to figure out how they avoid frost bite on their toes.

I would guess they hole up not coming out in harsh weather.. at least I would. Why fight it? Now as far as what is up when they are waiting out cold.. another serious question handled different by the inquiring minds that want to know....Questions: calories, waste products, the capability of long term drowsiness or inactivity that might be a condition that could possibly slow down metabolic rates ? Maybe that big body can get away with a lot less during winter than most think ? Mammals have a way of surviving the cold.. not all.. but bunnies can do it.

Perhaps the bear activity is a model that can be a comparison.. there are footprints in snow.. of both species (alledgedly the sasquatch prints often appear very real and maybe that is because they are... All three if you want to include grizzly or/and brown depending on what kind of taxonomist you are. What are the lowlying factors that cause unrest or disturbance in bear that produce levels of activity in cold weather? Mild seasons ? Warm periods ? Do these circumstances translate to the possible activities of BF during winter resulting in tracks observed ? Hmmmm. Regarding the frostbite, I have had the lighter levels of it, perhaps the tolerance is tremendously different between us and them. Their body mass and circulation circumstances may be of a nature that they are far more equipped than us to handle extreme. ??

Well I did mention the AFP's or ISP's but as far as I know that hasn't ever been found in a primate. However, they did find it in wooly mammoths when they sequenced the DNA.

Jodie, you did and thanks. I found this partial discussion regarding frostbite in sherpas in the Himalayan Ranges. Seems Applicable. Regarding the interesting dynamics of the gymnasts in the vid via Vil, might explain why there are not a lot of vehicle collisions with BF ? (wouldnt be any if there wasnt such a thing..)

Partial sample below and full article here: http://home.clara.net/rfthomas/papers/ward.html

Since this is for educational purposes and discussion I believe its ok to put in a partial but if not, please let me know.

The inhabitants of the Himalaya and Tibet can and do walk barefoot in the snow for long periods without frostbite. In 1951 neither Shipton nor I realized this; but since then I have observed this phenomenon in the highlanders of Bhutan and elsewhere (Fig. 3). Scientific confirmation came in January 1961 during the Silver Hut Expedition to the Everest region, of which I was a member. A Nepalese pilgrim, Man Bahadur, 35 years old, normally lived at 6,000 feet in Nepal but visited our research sites and lived for 14 days at 15,300 feet and above. Throughout this period he wore neither shoes nor gloves and walked in the snow and on rocks in bare feet, without any evidence of cold injury. His clothing consisted of thin cotton trousers and jacket, a thin wool vest, cotton shirt, a thin sleeveless wool pullover and turban, and a khaki overcoat. He had no sleeping or protective equipment.

I found something called the "Hunting Reaction of Lewis" that said people acclimatized to cold exhibit reflexive vasodilation in the extremities that keep the tissue from freezing. That only works for so long and stops if the core temperature is threatened. I wonder what was unique about this particular Sherpa? When I watched the Mt. Everest show they were all bundled up, except the Sherpas didn't need the oxygen like the climbers did. I looked but only found research regarding hypoxia and nothing specific about cold tolerance other than what I mentioned above. The Sherpas only needed 3800 calories a day as opposed to the climbers that needed 6-7000 calories per day when they were ascending.

If you read that article it goes on to describe further situations and with some who are cold tolerant that utilize yoga and can actually raise digital temperatures up to 8 degrees Centigrade. Here is some information on the Japanese Macaques (snow monkeys) which in the northern portion of their range live 1/3 of ea year in snow (also this species is the northernmost living spp of nonhuman primate, (?accurate until proven otherwise?):

the url: http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/factsheets/entry/japanese_macaque

An interesting note from the above information that suggests some things that might be applicable to at least some potential sasquatch populations (??):

In the deciduous broadleaf forests habitat of the north where food is scarce in the winter, the species must eat surplus high quality foods such as fruits and nuts prior to winter to store enough fat to survive through the lean winter (Hanya et al. 2006). This storage of fat is important because during snowbound winter months the only available foods are dead and poor in nutrition, including leaves and bark (Tsuji et al. 2006). In the deciduous broadleaf forest habitat on the northern island of Kinkazan, food items are mainly fallen seeds, herbs, young leaves and fruits (Agetsuma & Nakagawa 1998). The Japanese macaque has been observed digging up underground plant parts such as roots, eating soil, and consuming raw fish if other preferred food items are not to be found (Koganezawa 1975; Watanabe 1989; Iguchi & Izawa 1990).

(Caches of foodsources in snow possible additional option for sasquatches ??)

Edited by treeknocker

I went back and reread further into the first article you posted. Now how do we know any prints found in the Himalaya's are yeti prints if this is routine for the Sherpas to go barefooted in the snow? I don't think you can cast prints in snow but even if you got some in mud, with all of those deformed feet it would put anything you found in question.

Guest ajciani

I should point out that at altitude, the atmosphere is thinner, and so it removes less heat from the body. Said another way, in order to remove the same amount of heat from the skin, the air temperature needs to be colder than the body temperature, in the same proportion as the decrease in pressure. At 10,000 feet, there is 2/3 as much atmosphere as at sea level. The body core temp is 37 C, so if 10 C (50 F) is tolerable at sea level, then at 10,000 feet, -3.5 C (26 F) should be tolerable. So to a first approximation, 26 F at 10,000 feet feels like 50 F at sea level.

Also, the body tends to burn more calories at altitude, and so produces even more excess heat.

Yeti prints, like bigfoot prints, tend to be easily distinguished from barefoot human prints.

The barrel shape of bigfoots would reduce the ratio of surface area to body volume, allowing bigfoots to better tolerate cold.

BTW, I frequently go outside barefoot during the winter. Going from a 70 F house to stepping on 30 F stone is a bit of a shock, but after a few minutes it doesn't bother me any more. I dislike walking on snow, as it just sucks the heat out of my feet (high heat capacity combined with heat of fusion). Dirt, leaves and grass are no problem, as they have low heat capacities and act as insulators.

Guest vilnoori

Well I did mention the AFP's or ISP's but as far as I know that hasn't ever been found in a primate. However, they did find it in wooly mammoths when they sequenced the DNA.

That's really cool, Jodie. Do you have the papers on that?

That's really cool, Jodie. Do you have the papers on that?

I do not, I googled ice structure proteins and antifreeze proteins in mammals. It doesn't look like they are found in anything but insects, fungi, and plants but I did run across the mention that they were in the DNA for the wooly mammoth.

Guest vilnoori

I'm pretty sure they are also in Antarctic fish and crustaceans too, probably others. That would be a handy thing to genetically engineer into someone. Also the algae that can live in skin. Cool things there will be in the future.

INDEED, cool things continue.. As was earlier mentioned by me, here is a reference to a mineshaft(horizontal) that I alluded to in Dr. John Bindernagels book : http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=24826

While we are at it, here is a reference that the BFRO has from Ms. Kathy Moskowitz on an alledged sasquatch nest:

http://www.bfro.net/ref/fieldres/sasquatchnest.asp for those that have not seen it.

And.. as has been discussed, is there any references to sasquatches being hit in roads by vehicles? Several at least, here is another one from the book Bigfoot Casebook. The tabulated list of reports for Iowa compiled by Janet & Colin Bord in coordination with Mark Hall. Note the l971 instance, a reference to a car hitting a sasquatch. http://home.clara.net/rfthomas/cb/ia.html IF you google it further you get a BFRO report executed in 2006 in reference to the same area and the named given in the 71 original Bord report is Gary Parker (+ 2 friends). The BFRO Report url is :

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?ID=16714&PrinterFriendly=True The important point is an interrogation took place with the folks who were said to have been involved. So after 40 yr. still recountable. Accolades to the efforts to acquire more information on this particular location which has numerous claims of activity by numerous observers. Warning warning Will Robinson.. its IOWA.. so hold your horses. That is impossible. OK, I get it. This whole idea of a giant unidentified primate that is right under our nose and has been since we dipped into NA is impossible. Or is it? AND if that is acceptable, the idea its possible, then.. perhaps these creatures ARE governed by biological law. If so.. then why would they be any different when it cames down to the needs of water, food, and cover ? If major predators are working Iowa (THEY ARE) then why not? Located adjacent to the Mississippi River, a known wildlife corridor complete with river bluffs and adjacent stream valleys, sparsely populated, with numerous abandoned fields and plenty of agriculture with low density of people how hard would it be to maneuver & not be seen regularly? MO lies south, Nebraska lies west (with the Big Sioux River and accompanying Loess HIlls) and MN lies north. Crossing the Miss Riv east is Illinois where reports continue. The western version of Ohio? No Appalachian foothills.. but riverbluffs just might be comparable.. so do not discount this state too quick. Three roadkilled cougar, bear and wolves have been seen (pers. com.) and verification of the roadkills in numerous newspaper articles & state offices. Might just be they are not the only predator coming from the west. Or north. Or.... One thing I have noticed in wildlife populations regardless of species: They never stay the same (like an NFL team).. they are either increasing or decreasing..

• masterbarber locked this topic