Why No Dead Bears?

I just started questioning myself, why there is no report of BF been shot but turned out to be just Bear or similar. If BF is just misidentification why nobody shot something else while thinking he or she is shooting at BF. There are several reports of People shooting at BF but no body turned up, no BF, no Bear, no anything. It doesnt seem plausible if misidentification is the key to BF. Also there is at least one report I red that was the other way around. Its about someone thought he was shooting elk while it turned out to be a BF.

Maybe the fear of ridicule might be a reason why no such report turned up, but than why no BF Hunter shot something else? Why no of the contra BF people turned up with such a report? Why no Bearhunter tells a story of at first glance thinking he was seeing BF but than it turned out to be just a Bear?

Iam not aware of any misidentification report of any sort. Why is this.

What do you think?

I'm not a hunter but might I suggest that anyone in a position to be able to shoot and kill a large animal in the wild is also in a position to make a good prior assessment of what exactly it is they're firing at.

The obvious answer is that, Bigfoot is not out there, to be shot at. Plus, isnt it hard to shoot at Bigfoot? Maybe all the bears were missed, because the shooter was nervous.

Not exactly sure what the poster is as getting at. Bear don't look like monkees, at least no bear I have ever seen. A bear moving on all fours looks exactly like a bear. I've never talked to anyone who saw a monkee who thought it was a bear. Of course, the monkee-crowd I communicate with are all experienced medium/large game hunters & outdoors-folk. I suppose someone who is not familiar with either might make that mistake.

Positive target ID is one of the very large responsibilities ethical hunters take on w/o complaint. Can't pull that shot back in if you make a mistake.

Now taking it another direction, can you imagine this statement; " I'm sorry Mr. CO, I thought I was shooting a BF, but it turned out to be a bear". "Is my face red, or what"?...

Edited by NDT

In the past couple years in Washington, two people have been shot, after being mistaken for bears. In both instances the people were wearing black clothing while in deep berry patches. Yes all hunters are told to be sure of their target before pulling the trigger, but sadly this isn't always the case. If someone shot a bear out of season, or without a tag, I'd bet they would just walk away to avoid the legal ramifications.

It seems that not everyone got the point. Its all about reports of initial misidentifications that in the end turned out to be something known. And as BF is reported for a long time it is not about the hunting ethics or laws of today.

Many People think of BF as real animal because they saw "one". On the other hand I never heard a story of someone negating BF existence because of a above mentioned BF misidentification made by themself or even just been told to them. Much is being said about misidentification but there doesnt seem to be any anecdotal evidence for this theory, never the less this theory is mostly used to describe BF sightings from a "sientific" point of view.

Actually there is one story, it was on a thread not long ago. The guy was a truck driver I think. He either thought he hit a bigfoot or saw it get hit, I can't remember the details. It turned to be a bear. I can't remember what thread but I'm sure someone with a better memory than me can point you in the right direction.

Drew the obvious answer is that people do not usually do literature searches and actually read the material to learn and understand it. There are both reports and personal accounts that cover both these scenarios. Look and you will find. You are good at that and I have been appreciative. Pat Barker has an illustration from an individual I understand is not with us anymore who was also interviewed by Dr. Curt Nelson. The man thought he had a moose and apparently there was a squatch behind it. He found it laying there. Pat illustrated it. Check her website.

The man who saw the female squatch that apparently many think was the model for Patty initially thought he was looking at a grizz, having killed one from the area near the mine he was at the year before. REgarding the dead bear, it was Titmus pointing out a skeleton to Dr. Grover K that was found ROADKILLED or dumped along the road by someone discarding it. Bear skeletons and other predators are rarely found. READ the good Doctors book (J Bindernagel) and learn some basic bio-ecology of predators and you will feel much more comfortable with these repetitive questions. MANY references to people looking at a bear that turns around and has a humanlike or apelike face with no snout. On the other hand take a peek at some good photography on the great apes. You will note, orangs come to mind, that the prognathism is significant on some and I recall a picture of one that has a tremendous bearlike appearance. So.. if recessive characters keep coming up in a population that often has strong ties to one another genetically, it is no wonder that certain curious phys attributes may show.. deformed hands, feet, facial considerations, etc. If they are real there ought to be a real answer for the variety, the repeitive behavior etc. I think the common sense answer for people unfamiliar with the literature available is that like you say it is obvious they do not exist. I disagree.. I think the deeper you examine available accounts/stories phys evidence, behavioral attributes you can begin to see and understand that if only a portion of this information is credible you have no choice to accept them as a real living breathing entity. THAT amazing concept would then account for the incredible men and women before us that have been shocked on a regular basis. But you sure as H do not have to :) Your door. This is just my opinion :) But a few others have it, you might wonder why.. Label my response as you wish. I am curious about them and looking to increase my knowledge base about them not so much about people chasing them. I used to do that too till I figured out they were spending the time doing what they were doing for a VERY good reason. If one sentence in here helps someone then it was worth the time. If not.. and appreciate people who take the time to post.. (Of course no one has to believe a word of anything that is written here or anywhere else..) No problem.. cheers

Edited by treeknocker

In the past couple years in Washington, two people have been shot, after being mistaken for bears. In both instances the people were wearing black clothing while in deep berry patches. Yes all hunters are told to be sure of their target before pulling the trigger, but sadly this isn't always the case. If someone shot a bear out of season, or without a tag, I'd bet they would just walk away to avoid the legal ramifications.

Note to self.....wear something fluorescent and bright when going blackberrying.

Maybe I am mis-understanding the question here.

But I find it hard to believe that someone would say "yes I killed this bear but I thought it was a Sasquatch"

I would think if someone did shoot a bear when they thought it was a Sasquatch, they would either "tag it and haul it out" or slink away, hoping they don't get caught.

• 2 weeks later...

In the past couple years in Washington, two people have been shot, after being mistaken for bears.

Interesting.

How come I've NEVER heard of somebody being shot after being mistakenly believed to be a sasquatch?

Not once.............

So much for misidentification............

As a bear hunter I sometimes wonder if these shootings have more to do with someone sleeping with someone's wife and less to do with a misidentification.

Also generally speaking, the berry season is usually over by the time fall bear season rolls around.

Guest TooRisky

As a bear hunter I sometimes wonder if these shootings have more to do with someone sleeping with someone's wife and less to do with a misidentification.

Also generally speaking, the berry season is usually over by the time fall bear season rolls around.

I have hunted bear in WA. and Huckleberries are perfect for picking come Fall bear season... And yes there is a huge competition between bears humans and I suspect Sasquatch when the berries ripen...

As for this conversation, jeez I have no idea what the point is...

• masterbarber locked this topic