Why No Dead Bears?

Guest Lesmore

I've never understood this mindset. HUMANS ARE THE KING OF PREDATORY ANIMALS.

Our strength is akin to the wolf.........a single wolf is not very impressive, he isn't as strong as a bear, and he isn't as cunning as a cougar. But what he lacks he makes up for in the fact that he belongs to a pack and that pack coordinates it's efforts for a common goal.

Could you imagine a group of primitive human hunters hot on your trail? Our resume includes almost every single species on the planet has fallen prey to us at some point and time. From Walrus to Whale to Lions to Elephants, it doesn't matter. We are capable of hunting down and killing whatever our hearts desire. And I'm not talking about modern hunting or fishing practices, but primitive ones.

I agree with most of what you say....although IMO a Wolf is more intelligent than a Cougar...in fact I'm not sure how cunning a Cougar is.

Guest BuzzardEater

Sasquatch and I am guessing, Bigfoot, are apex predators. When you are in the woods bear hunting you are in competition with them. They, too, would be in hunting mode, not lounging about being bearlike. I'd bet that human hunters are useful for flushing bears and herding them towards a sly Sas.

Sasquatches aren't mistaken for bears because they are smart enough to avoid people that cannot tell the difference. Somebody out in the woods looking for bears is looking for trouble and must be prepared for the contest. This includes recognizing what a bear looks like.

When the boys in the band and I used to go hunting, they always put me on point because I am large and clumsey and make a lot of noise. The boys wouldn't be heard and could often walk right up to bears distracted by the city boy.

If a dopey guy did somehow manage to accidently bag the most elusive prey in history I think he would be shocked upon examination to discover he has killed a person. I suspect the issue would be thorny. In Canada, you just don't ever get a permit again and they could charge you with a John Doe homicide. I strongly suspect some of these things have happened.

There are ample reports of BFs being shot by everything since blunderbusses and even some reports of a kill. I strongly suspect there is some stagecraft to the BF community and we, the human onlookers, are being scammed. If BFs were wearing furs, for example they would be harder to bag. If they have a policy of recovering thier dead for later interrment, like my own ancestors, there wouldn't be a body left for the hunter to get. Also, with so much bulk, how hard would it be to get a kill shot? Where is the heart or spine? Add movement to the equation and I'd guess that BFs are hard to shoot.

Rhetorically, how do we know there aren't a vast gallery of BF specimens somewhere? It makes more sense to assume there is than there isn't. We just aren't party to it.

I agree with most of what you say....although IMO a Wolf is more intelligent than a Cougar...in fact I'm not sure how cunning a Cougar is.

A agree that dogs are more intelligent than cats, that's not how I'm using the term.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cunning

Marked by or given to artful subtlety and deceptiveness.

A cougar is the master of the sneaky ambush, generally you don't know anything is wrong until he is on top of you.

Guest Lesmore

A agree that dogs are more intelligent than cats, that's not how I'm using the term.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cunning

Marked by or given to artful subtlety and deceptiveness.

A cougar is the master of the sneaky ambush, generally you don't know anything is wrong until he is on top of you.

I see what you mean and would agree. I've seen...close up.. Cougars move (fortunately only in the zoo :D and I'm amazed how quick they are and how powerfully muscular they are.

Chances are if a BF was hit by a Mack or a Peterbilt truck..towing a transport trailer or two... with a cowcatcher on front...it wouldn't be walking...or crawling away...it would be a very dead BF....by the side of the road.

80,000 lbs + @ 70 mph will do that....think it's one of those irrefutable laws of physics. :)

These highway tractors seem to hit everything but....BF. Hmmmnnn.

Les

Thats true.

• 5 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2010 at 9:00 AM, Guest said:

I just started questioning myself, why there is no report of BF been shot but turned out to be just Bear or similar. If BF is just misidentification why nobody shot something else while thinking he or she is shooting at BF. There are several reports of People shooting at BF but no body turned up, no BF, no Bear, no anything. It doesnt seem plausible if misidentification is the key to BF. Also there is at least one report I red that was the other way around. Its about someone thought he was shooting elk while it turned out to be a BF.

Maybe the fear of ridicule might be a reason why no such report turned up, but than why no BF Hunter shot something else? Why no of the contra BF people turned up with such a report? Why no Bearhunter tells a story of at first glance thinking he was seeing BF but than it turned out to be just a Bear?

Iam not aware of any misidentification report of any sort. Why is this.

What do you think?

Well, don't we have yet *another* giant hole in the scoftic case.  Of course people don't generally presume that something they can't identify - let alone something they *can* - is A Thing What Don't Existulate.  They go to the parsimonious explanation first.  Bear.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2010 at 9:25 AM, Guest said:

I'm not a hunter but might I suggest that anyone in a position to be able to shoot and kill a large animal in the wild is also in a position to make a good prior assessment of what exactly it is they're firing at.

Barring a few nutz and eedjits, I don't think *anyone* with a gun is just taking a pot shot at something they can't identify.  And while I got you here:  if you cannot AIM AT A VITAL ONE-SHOT-KILL AREA - which you would have to be able to positively ID your target to to - DON'T SHOOT.  Thank you.

• masterbarber locked this topic