Why No Dead Bears?

Maybe I am mis-understanding the question here.

But I find it hard to believe that someone would say "yes I killed this bear but I thought it was a Sasquatch"

I would think if someone did shoot a bear when they thought it was a Sasquatch, they would either "tag it and haul it out" or slink away, hoping they don't get caught.

Yes you are right. But for this idea to develop it doesnt necessary need to be killed in the event. Its although not about official reports. Its about sitting by the fire and telling stories. Just as likely as someone saying he has had an encounter, its just as likely, specially as the con stories have "sience" behind them, that someone will tell a misidentification story.

OP, am I correct when I take the intent of this topic was: If BF is misidentification, and the real culprits are bears...how come when people who have fired shots, there aren't any bear corpses recovered? For instance, the family in NJ who were terrorized by something for a few weeks. The third day the entire family were armed with everything from rifles to shotguns and let off at least 30 shots at the intruder...if it was a bear...where was the body?

SSR Team

The obvious answer is that, Bigfoot is not out there, to be shot at.

:D

& there's the winner..

Close the Thread, shut the Forum down, no need to renew the Domain & we might aswell all go home.. :D

if it was a bear...where was the body?

If it was a bigfoot where was the body?

Turn the OP around a bit. People do hit things other than bears when they think they are aiming at bears. If there are bigfoots out there, here are some things we know about them:

*distribution, range, habitat, and food sources similar to black bear

*dark and furry, like a black bear

*about the mass of a black bear, e.g., a few hundred lbs.

*occasionally go about on all fours

Forget about people mistaking bears for bigfoots, people should be mistaking bigfoots for bears. At least some of those people (a disproportionate number I'd argue) should be bear hunters. How a bigfoot has never been killed and recovered from a bear hunter's misidentification is beyond me. (And yes, I've considered all the reasons people are about to raise about why such an event would be unlikely. It's still beyond me.)

Turn the OP around a bit. People do hit things other than bears when they think they are aiming at bears. If there are bigfoots out there, here are some things we know about them:

Forget about people mistaking bears for bigfoots, people should be mistaking bigfoots for bears. At least some of those people (a disproportionate number I'd argue) should be bear hunters. How a bigfoot has never been killed and recovered from a bear hunter's misidentification is beyond me. (And yes, I've considered all the reasons people are about to raise about why such an event would be unlikely. It's still beyond me.)

At least there are numerous accounts of BF being shot/at and they survive somehow (tough skin, magic, whatever). So there is a fallback to explain why BF bodies aren't often found.

Concerning bigfoot being mistaken for bears...I believe that has happened and it has been discussed in places I've read. There's even accounts where the witnesses state BF seems to INTENTIONALLY attempt to appear as a bear. Doing such things as running on arms and legs.

Having the same intelligence you have now, but you were a BF not wishing to be discovered. Would it not occur to you upon being seen by the hairless, little brothers from the city, to imitate a bear....they wouldn't know the difference?

Hi Saskeptic.

Most of the time Bears are seen on all 4s while BF is bipedal which tips of a majority of the hunters. There are shots when the BF might be hunched over drinking and it would look like a bear. In this case, we should have a BF body. Yet, some hunters after rolling over the bear notice a very human like face, and they have no intention of packing out the beast. I packed out a bear up a steep hillside, and it was a nasty job. Most hunters might thinks it's illegal and certainly it's not somethng to eat. They leave it or plan to come back later after the game laws are checked out, but the BF clan hauled it off and the evidence is gone. It's a matter of time for this scenerio to break down, and the hunter will pack the BF uphill to the game trailer, and now we have a BF body.

In addition, black bears get hit by cars and trucks all the time, how come none of these bear roadkills end up being sasquatch? You'd think eventually a dark colored predator darting across an intertate would get tagged, but they don't.

Hi Saskeptic.

Most of the time Bears are seen on all 4s while BF is bipedal which tips of a majority of the hunters. There are shots when the BF might be hunched over drinking and it would look like a bear. In this case, we should have a BF body. Yet, some hunters after rolling over the bear notice a very human like face, and they have no intention of packing out the beast. I packed out a bear up a steep hillside, and it was a nasty job. Most hunters might thinks it's illegal and certainly it's not somethng to eat. They leave it or plan to come back later after the game laws are checked out, but the BF clan hauled it off and the evidence is gone. It's a matter of time for this scenerio to break down, and the hunter will pack the BF uphill to the game trailer, and now we have a BF body.

The only problem I have with this is what we can gather from reports, that BF are rarely alone! To help you out I offer this: Say you and your family lived in the woods, hiding. How would you react if your spouse or sibling or child was shot by a hunter even accidentally.

I believe there would be a lot more conflicts between humans and BF's if BF's were being killed. I think it would get to the point where it couldn't be covered up.

Unless....BF police their own rogue members? Would it make sense that when a BF swears to start killing every human it comes across because its wife was shot, that the other BF kill it, for the good of the entire species?

In addition, black bears get hit by cars and trucks all the time, how come none of these bear roadkills end up being sasquatch? You'd think eventually a dark colored predator darting across an intertate would get tagged, but they don't.

You're still considering BF nothing more than a large chimp. If YOU lived in the forest and frequently crossed roads, would there be any real danger of you being struck?

I have hunted bear in WA. and Huckleberries are perfect for picking come Fall bear season... And yes there is a huge competition between bears humans and I suspect Sasquatch when the berries ripen...

As for this conversation, jeez I have no idea what the point is...

Sorry I missed this one.

But there are NO huckleberries to be had around here come Sept/Oct. Maybe your falls are warmer/wetter and the bushes produce longer?

You're still considering BF nothing more than a large chimp. If YOU lived in the forest and frequently crossed roads, would there be any real danger of you being struck?

Yes, as the amount of crossings increase, there is eventually going to be an incident.

Let's examine a few that might occur to a Bigfoot:

1. Bigfoot is chasing a deer, it runs across a two lane highway, Bigfoot thinks he can easily cross before the oncoming Petrbilt, he continues his pursuit, and as he starts crossing, he trips, the Petrbilt is close now, and plows into the Bigfoot as he gets up.

2. An old Bigfoot is running across the road, he has a coronary and is unable to move out of the way of the oncoming Freightliner.

3. A Bigfoot tries to cross a two-lane highway, it is icy out, the Bigfoot slips as it is crossing the road and hit's his head on the fall, the oncoming Mack cannot stop and runs over the stricken beast.

4. Same scenario, the bigfoot waits on the side of the road for the truck to pass, however the truck slips off the side of the road, and plows into the hidden bigfoot.

5. The bigfoot is just not paying attention, and walks infront of an oncoming vehicle.

Any of these can happen to us, why doesn't it ever happen to a Bigfoot?

Yes, as the amount of crossings increase, there is eventually going to be an incident.

Let's examine a few that might occur to a Bigfoot:

1. Bigfoot is chasing a deer, it runs across a two lane highway, Bigfoot thinks he can easily cross before the oncoming Petrbilt, he continues his pursuit, and as he starts crossing, he trips, the Petrbilt is close now, and plows into the Bigfoot as he gets up.

2. An old Bigfoot is running across the road, he has a coronary and is unable to move out of the way of the oncoming Freightliner.

3. A Bigfoot tries to cross a two-lane highway, it is icy out, the Bigfoot slips as it is crossing the road and hit's his head on the fall, the oncoming Mack cannot stop and runs over the stricken beast.

4. Same scenario, the bigfoot waits on the side of the road for the truck to pass, however the truck slips off the side of the road, and plows into the hidden bigfoot.

5. The bigfoot is just not paying attention, and walks infront of an oncoming vehicle.

Any of these can happen to us, why doesn't it ever happen to a Bigfoot?

I know there are Grizzly bears in my forests, and I have never seen one, I've only seen tracks before and a suspected kill sight that involved a 4 pt mule deer buck.

It's kinda hard to run over them on the road if you never even seen them.

Some times by listening to people you would think that every American in surburbia has a Squatch living in their back yard. My personal belief is that if they exist at all it's in very limited numbers, and they are more rare than even a Grizzly bear.

And not that they are super woods ninja's that despite there being millions of them, they escape detection because of their bush craft.

I know there are Grizzly bears in my forests, and I have never seen one, I've only seen tracks before and a suspected kill sight that involved a 4 pt mule deer buck.

It's kinda hard to run over them on the road if you never even seen them.

Some times by listening to people you would think that every American in surburbia has a Squatch living in their back yard. My personal belief is that if they exist at all it's in very limited numbers, and they are more rare than even a Grizzly bear.

And not that they are super woods ninja's that despite there being millions of them, they escape detection because of their bush craft.

Yes, but even big grizzly bears get killed by cars.

Yes, but even big grizzly bears get killed by cars.

In the lower 48 it's pretty **** rare.

Like I said, we have them here and I've never seen one. And I've been to Yellowstone three times and only saw one once.

Supposedly we have around 1000 grizzly in the lower 48.

In the lower 48 it's pretty **** rare.

Like I said, we have them here and I've never seen one. And I've been to Yellowstone three times and only saw one once.

Supposedly we have around 1000 grizzly in the lower 48.

I know they are rare, and my point is, even if Bigfoot is as rare as a lower 48 Grizzly bear, the lower 48 grizzly bears have accidents, and get hit by cars.

• masterbarber locked this topic