What To Do If You Find A Body?

FYI..I think Sas knows that I am joking (and stalking him). While I may not agree with everything he has to say, he is objective and capable of discussing his point of view without insults. Two professors, same/similar educational background, one a believer, and one skeptical...Quite honestly, I would contact the skeptic. I know darn well he will look at the situation with a more critical eye.

But you have to admit it would be funny as HE** to see a BF body holding a sign on someones lawn...ala Weekend at Bernie's.

You made me snort when I pictured you roaring up onto Saskeptics lawn and flinging a head at his doorstep........

It would more likely be a very politely delivered, very very very very small patch of skin that you hand to him personally and say "Discover this".

*Snort* either way would be priceless.....and get the same message across....

Sas, you know I got mad respect for ya...but that was just funny.........

Guest akbiol

There are "pros" and "cons" to all of these views. State or provincial universities would certainly have some authority at any "CSI" as to the proper ID of the body. Law enforcement, especially municipal or county would be baffled as to whether it's possible homicide or a wildlife case, and if state law enforcement were feeling nervous, they would immediately call for federal intervention, in which case our able federal public servants would do so ably what they are paid to do, that is clam the whole thing up, and the case would simply disappear. If however biologists, and anthropologists could be got to the scene before media,and well before any federal agencies, it would be hard to sweep away. Media are actually good at keeping things from disappearing. Two other things have been apparently ignored in discussion, unless my aging eyes have lost it... One is that you had better be carrying disposable gloves (no contamination) for any hair, dermal tags or digit excision and paper bags for the former as well as a readable cloth measuring tape. The buccal smear was an excellent suggestion as well as photos, GPS entry. Krantz had one comment that I may have missed in above threads, ie. "look over your shoulder"...but if alone, a spotlight would be a handy deterrent to any retribution of the "furred" kind. Lastly, and most importantly to the anthropologists,when getting the buccal smear, prop the mandible and maxilla open with a stick, and get multiple photos of both upper and lower dentition, especially the lower premolars (hominid vs. pongid). Your dentist can also provide you with a box of five minute dental epoxy flexible enough to withdraw a good impression of the premolars and molars. You might need two boxes if our friend turns out to be a large North American Meganthropus. I could mention as an afterthought that if state biologists supervised transport to a state university, the body would not have been removed from state property, if that's important.

Guest Lesmore

Reading this thread ..faithfully and I'm surprised at how many seem to think authorities in general, cannot be trusted to do the right thing, whatever that happens to be.

I'd expect a segment of any group to feel this way, but the percentage here surprises me.

Just an observation.

Well Les, it could be the quality of the authorities in the person's specific area that might be responsible for that impression. Ninety percent of law enforcement are good folks but every once in a while you get a Barney Fife that can really make life difficult. When you call for help you never really know what you are going to get in some states depending on how jurisdictions are determined and what their requirements are for qualification, and that varies from state to state. It also would depend on the call as to who would be sent. What law enforcement body would be first to respond to a dispatcher's call that there is a dead bigfoot that needs to be picked up or investigated in your state? Everybody and their brother would respond in my area that wasn't tied up in another call. Just like they responded for the woman who ran over an alligator, her little Toyota got stuck on top of it, and it was chewing its way through the floor boards. That was the entertainment for the night for several officers from different branches of law enforcement. ( They ended up shooting it and calling a tow truck to lift the car off the alligator's body). But I digress.......... :lol:

Reading this thread ..faithfully and I'm surprised at how many seem to think authorities in general, cannot be trusted to do the right thing, whatever that happens to be.

I'd expect a segment of any group to feel this way, but the percentage here surprises me.

Just an observation.

Fish and Wildlife Agencies don't have a good reputation with a lot of the types of people who hang out in places like this, many of whom are active in the whole "wilderness" scene and acutely aware of the politics of wildlife management.

Well Les, it could be the quality of the authorities in the person's specific area that might be responsible for that impression. Ninety percent of law enforcement are good folks but every once in a while you get a Barney Fife that can really make life difficult.

I agree, but if something like this should ever happen, it'd be that one percent.

Moreover it's not the person or even people I would not trust. It would be the process. Government red tape is government red tape. Heck, EnCon in NY wouldn't even call a wolverine caught on a trail cam a wolverine because they're not supposed to be in the Adirondack Park.

So in this scenario, I'd trust me and that's it. Not to some civil servant, who may know what the right thing to do would be, but cannot because of some policy written, buried in back of some Codes or Law book.

(I look at the question on the thread and I hear Robert Mitchum's voice..."Sasquatch..it's whats for dinner!")

Guest Lesmore

Well Les, it could be the quality of the authorities in the person's specific area that might be responsible for that impression. Ninety percent of law enforcement are good folks but every once in a while you get a Barney Fife that can really make life difficult. When you call for help you never really know what you are going to get in some states depending on how jurisdictions are determined and what their requirements are for qualification, and that varies from state to state. It also would depend on the call as to who would be sent. What law enforcement body would be first to respond to a dispatcher's call that there is a dead bigfoot that needs to be picked up or investigated in your state?I'm in Canada so it would be the RCMP (Mounties) and the Provincial Dept. of Conservation. I've had a fair amount of experience with both bodies and I've found that they seem to be professional individuals, in my experience. Everybody and their brother would respond in my area that wasn't tied up in another call. Just like they responded for the woman who ran over an alligator, her little Toyota got stuck on top of it, and it was chewing its way through the floor boards. That was the entertainment for the night for several officers from different branches of law enforcement. ( They ended up shooting it and calling a tow truck to lift the car off the alligator's body). But I digress.......... :lol:

Sounds like an entertaining evening....and the basis for a TV movie. :D

Les

• 9 months later...

My group is trying to decide what we should do if we happen to find a body. Who to contact, how to collect the body ect... I know this is an unlikey event but we want to be prepared if it happens. I would appreciate any advice or sugestions. Thanks Burt

"The best part to take is the head, if this is too heavy, cut out the lower jaw and bring that back. If more than the head can be taken, get a foot; if still more, bring a hand; almost anything beyond that is about equally useful. The skull is the most useful important piece of evidence, and it is to be hoped that it will not be damaged in this action. A smashed skull is far better than none, at all, and it can be reconstructed for the most part." Protecal writting by Grover S. Krantz So I hope you find this useful.

You should always carry a trash bag to put the head in, and if the smell is too overwhelming, pull out your knife and pliers and grab a few teeth along with the fingers or whole hand. Don't forget the foot for Dr. Meldrum. Contact the media first so the authorities can't call you a liar and crazy later. On second thought, I'd poke the BF with a long stick first and be ready to run like h3ll!

Edited by beerhunter