What To Do If You Find A Body?

Pteronarcyd said:

I'm taking the digits, regardless. The state can sue me.

Spazmo said: Me too.

I will third this statement. Except I would take more then just digits.

Okay, bag and tag:

Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes

and eyes and ears and mouth and nose,

Guest Lesmore

I remember when Biscardi was on Fox news claiming to have a BF body, some in the press went crying to several agencies of the State of Georgia... they basically said that BF is not a known animal and they're not interested.

Simply do not reveal where you found the animal or sample and then they won't be able to establish jurisdiction.

Even if all that doesn't work, good luck finding an Attorney General that would prosecute such a case, or a jury to convict. This would be the discovery of the animal, it's not like you butchered a bald eagle or something.

If it was the 'discovery of an animal'...specifically a Bigfoot, then it would be much rarer than a Bald Eagle and I would imagine there would be a field day with many different individuals, representing different official authorities, advocacy groups, media, etc...asking why would you chop away parts of this heretofore, unknown animal ?

I still do not see the point in chopping up bits and parts of an unknown animal....to do what with ?

Bigfoot, in it's entirety is more valuable for science and the media, etc...to view.

Edited by Lesmore

I know the thought of calling Meldrum et al, sounds like a great idea, but I think you may have a problem finding cell service where you might find a body.

I agree. Dissect first, call Meldrum later. I wouldn't want to risk having the rest of the clan show up to dispose of the body before evidence could be obtained. And, I would assume Meldrum would say to dissect a digit at a minimum. I wouldn't bother with cutting off the head, as my Gerber Ultralight LST wouldn't be up to the task. And, I have seen Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, so I know head hunting ends badly.

I still do not see the point in chopping up bits and parts of an unknown animal....to do what with ?

Because dragging a 400+ lb beast, possibly miles though the forest, may not be an option.

Guest Lesmore

Because dragging a 400+ lb beast, possibly miles though the forest, may not be an option.

If it was a large animal, such as a Moose and you had a Moose hunting license, yes that would be an option.

But it's not a relatively common animal that many people are familiar with...it's an animal that may, or may not be a myth.

As such, you want to call for help to get it out of the forest and you want to keep the animal whole, to establish credibility and enable experts to determine what the beast is, in it's most advantageous form....whole and unaltered.

Admin

Lesmore, nobody would miss a finger or two. And it would serve as insurance in case the body gets lost. Or the results come back as being other than what you found.

Edited by gigantor

I agree. Whole is better.

But if the "call for help" option isn't available, I'd take a piece with me and hope that the body's still there when I return with help later.

If the body's still there, great, we'll stick the head back on when we get to are destination.

If it ain't there, then you've got something to prove your claim.

I'd rather be safe than sorry for an animal that may or may not be a myth. :)

One qualifier question...........Am I alone?

John's found body scenario:

Whoaaa.......dude......a dead sasquatch!!! As I kneel down to examine the body and decide to secure ( slice and break off ) a pinkie finger the size of a bratwurst, I feel the tapping of an even larger index finger of a nine foot tall grieving sasquatch related to the dead one wondering what I'm doing.

Like the airline commercial: "Wanna Get Away?"

Edited by John T

John T,

As I see it, there are three options on the table:

1. Abandon the body while you run for a phone to call Meldrum;
  2. Dissect a body part or parts to secure a good sample before abandoning the body to seek help to recover it; or,
  3. Haul the entire body out.

Your concern, being confronted by a grieving clan member, is far more likely with option 3 than with option 2, simply because option 3 is almost certainly far more time consuming. Option 1 likely avoids any such confrontation, but at the grave risk of ending up empty handed. Thus, option 2, while not risk-free, seems like the optimal strategy. Regardless, your scenario points out the wisdom of any bigfoot field researcher packing spare shorts.

Pteronarcyd

“Wildlife†means any normally undomesticated animal, alive or dead, including without limitations any wild mammal, bird, fish, reptile, amphibian, or other terrestrial or aquatic life, whether or not possessed in controlled environment, bred, hatched, or born in captivity and including any part, product, egg, or offspring thereof, protected or unprotected by this chapter.

If I found a body in KY, I'd cut off a finger before calling the experts or authorities. If I got any grief for doing so, I'd look at the conservation officer with a straight face and tell him I thought the organism was a plant. If it truly is a bigfoot, it will be, at that time, an undocumented organism so how was I to know it's an animal -- it isn't in my Little Golden Book of Kentucky Wildlife.

If it was a large animal, such as a Moose and you had a Moose hunting license, yes that would be an option.

But it's not a relatively common animal that many people are familiar with...it's an animal that may, or may not be a myth.

As such, you want to call for help to get it out of the forest and you want to keep the animal whole, to establish credibility and enable experts to determine what the beast is, in it's most advantageous form....whole and unaltered.

There is no difference scientifically between the whole animal and a verifiable part thereof. It's a testable biological sample.

There is no difference scientifically between the whole animal and a verifiable part thereof. It's a testable biological sample.

I agree.

The goal is to get something back to science to prove it's existence.

I would do my best to protect the specimen from the elements and scavengers, but if I cannot get it all of it out in one go, I take something with me.

If I found a body I would:

1- Take lots of pictures.

2- take a skin/ hair sample insidea leg ina non visible location and bag it. NO digits.

3- contact the local police to get a jail crew to help transport the body to a safe location.

4 -pack the animal in ice - it should not be frozen.

5-work with the local vetinarian to get the body donate to my favorite university for research -vet and/or antropology depart.

6-set up a press time and contact all papers, TV and etc about the time.

7 - personally help transport the animal to the university.

I don't think it matters whether something is plant, animal, or mineral if you remove it from state or federal land. I went to a state park to find rocks with fossil impressions for my flower garden thinking that it wouldn't matter. Oh the shame I experienced when I got to the gate and they made me unload my rocks out of the back of my truck. They were hateful about it too, and these were just rocks, you would have thought I had dug up the Cahaba Lilly or something. :rolleyes: